U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: What do you think of the National Harbor in PG County?
I love it! It is fantastic!!! 10 17.54%
It's OK, and should get better as the economy recovers! 18 31.58%
It could be better...a whole LOT better. 22 38.60%
They should rename it "National Disaster". 7 12.28%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-01-2012, 06:37 AM
 
2,404 posts, read 2,799,636 times
Reputation: 383

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtitans View Post
I agree with you. A lot of times the wealthy are wealthy because of the fact that they won't spend money on frivolous things. Even with all things considered, the name brands that they may bring certainly would not be typical brands you would find at a middle-class mall. The name 'outlet' has a bad connotation these days, but it's becoming more and more the way to shop. Potomac Mills has even noticed this and has really added some nicer elements to their mall down there to cater to a higher-income demographic.
I agree as well. Most wealthy people won't spend unnecessarily. As a matter of fact a lot of times you can't tel how much they are worth since they won't wear it on there sleeves like the middle and upper middle class. As for outlets, the model has changed significantly since the early days. I was reading in an REIT industry magazines that the old stigma of off season and defect items are no longer the norm in this sector. What is the new norm are items that have been purchased specifically for that segment(as well as off season items). Since the recession, outlets have become more popular and is the preferred method for shopping nowadays.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-01-2012, 02:06 PM
 
200 posts, read 239,682 times
Reputation: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanScholar View Post
I agree as well. Most wealthy people won't spend unnecessarily. As a matter of fact a lot of times you can't tel how much they are worth since they won't wear it on there sleeves like the middle and upper middle class. As for outlets, the model has changed significantly since the early days. I was reading in an REIT industry magazines that the old stigma of off season and defect items are no longer the norm in this sector. What is the new norm are items that have been purchased specifically for that segment(as well as off season items). Since the recession, outlets have become more popular and is the preferred method for shopping nowadays.

I think my original intent got skewed a bit. I commented on the Tanger outlet section because it will bring in a wave of people that might not have come to NH for any other reason. Outlet malls are destination places and if you have been to one you know well what I mean. The Pottery Factory down in Williamsburg is a perfect example.

I didn't malign people of means as I know millionaires who go to estate sales on a weekly basis looking for treasures in another man's garbage. It's fun for them. They don't necessarily shop at the most posh stores but will if they want a certain item that can't be had at any place but those stores. I know a couple of old guys who wear clothes close to my age and they don't care. They could be wearing brand new, top of the line $$$ clothes but that isn't important to them. As I grow older I find fashion to be less important as well. If your wallet is empty because you are wearing/driving your money you are doing something wrong. Thinking back on the subject - if their clothes have lasted as long as they have and are still fit to wear today they must have paid $$$ years ago. I have T-shirts that are 20+ years old.

Back to my intent - any new stores is going to change the face of NH. It isn't for good or bad, it is a by- product of the clientele and the property management needs to address that in a positive manner to accommodate all. Does it mean NH will become a magnet for undesirables? No, it means more traffic there in the form of people willing to spend money and glad they don't have to travel down 95 or out to the eastern shore to get there. An increase in sales tax is a good thing right?

It will be a diverse crowd and most will be repeat customers who want to be more familiar with NH.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2012, 02:46 PM
 
200 posts, read 239,682 times
Reputation: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
And why not? Are our kids not worth the investment? Why can't that be the goal of a county to provide viable after-school centers throughout the county? If it was up for a vote, would you vote no?



I pretty much agree with everything you said here.
Which of the two quotes did you truly agree with? You want someone to provide centers for kids lacking real after school activities - parental supervision - then agree with me about parents becoming active in the lives of their kids. If parents became active in their kids lives by giving them chores to do around the house - the list of things to do is endless - as well as instilling a sense of responsibility, they would have little time to hang out with nothing to do. I can see a community center being used as a neighborhood place for organized events but it becomes nothing more than a teen hangout, like a shopping mall, unless the county/state/whoever employs a properly structured staff to oversee day to day operations as there are never enough volunteers to fill spots to provide after school supervision for latchkey kids.


As far as it being a referendum...I don't know. The street surfaces are kind of 3rd world around here and I don't have kids any longer. I remember when playgrounds were good enough for those who didn't belong to boy/girl scouts or play organized sports.
There are a lot of symptoms but investing and planning only go so far before it begins anew. What was learned from the very first ventures?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2012, 02:49 PM
 
2,404 posts, read 2,799,636 times
Reputation: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoreater View Post
Back to my intent - any new stores is going to change the face of NH. It isn't for good or bad, it is a by- product of the clientele and the property management needs to address that in a positive manner to accommodate all. Does it mean NH will become a magnet for undesirables? No, it means more traffic there in the form of people willing to spend money and glad they don't have to travel down 95 or out to the eastern shore to get there. An increase in sales tax is a good thing right?

It will be a diverse crowd and most will be repeat customers who want to be more familiar with NH.
You're right about having a retail mix that caters to a more diverse audience. I think that can be done while still maintaining a upscale feel to it. Aside from the retail options mentioned previously, I think that Pentagon Centre has a fairly nice mix of mid-scale and upscale. I went there for the first time in about 8 years and was surprised at some of the branded stores (that I recognized lol) that I saw there. I could see the harbor having a 7 for All Mankind or a Lucky Brand store there that would be youthful enough to appeal to young people but upscale enough to blend into their retail strategy. As a side note I almost passed out when I saw the cost of full-priced jeans (I am a deep discount sale kind of guy) but I saw there was a market there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2012, 09:26 PM
 
200 posts, read 239,682 times
Reputation: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanScholar View Post
As a side note I almost passed out when I saw the cost of full-priced jeans (I am a deep discount sale kind of guy) but I saw there was a market there.

$100 jeans, right? No way, Jose! LL Bean is as fancy as I get.
There are thrift stores around DMV(Potomac and Mt Vernon are nice) that have some really good stuff. I have a GF who picked up $$$ mink coats in various styles for little or nothing. I have been with her and picked up new jeans for $5, as well as nice jackets and what not for when I am going to be doing things that don't require me to worry about ruining $$$ clothing. Grease/oil don't wash out and dogs can be a mess - cheap clothes to the rescue.
I guess that is about as deep discount as you want to get. Don't start me on estate sales.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2012, 10:24 PM
 
2,404 posts, read 2,799,636 times
Reputation: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoreater View Post
$100 jeans, right? No way, Jose! LL Bean is as fancy as I get.
There are thrift stores around DMV(Potomac and Mt Vernon are nice) that have some really good stuff. I have a GF who picked up $$$ mink coats in various styles for little or nothing. I have been with her and picked up new jeans for $5, as well as nice jackets and what not for when I am going to be doing things that don't require me to worry about ruining $$$ clothing. Grease/oil don't wash out and dogs can be a mess - cheap clothes to the rescue.
I guess that is about as deep discount as you want to get. Don't start me on estate sales.
More like $175 to $200. Yeah I have scouted a couple of thrift stores. To a point where I know their best stock days lol. My son doesn't like it when we go but I am like "dude you will change your mind when you have bills.....I mean kids of your own"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2012, 08:31 AM
 
Location: It's in the name!
5,587 posts, read 6,370,340 times
Reputation: 2165
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoreater View Post
I can see a community center being used as a neighborhood place for organized events but it becomes nothing more than a teen hangout, like a shopping mall, unless the county/state/whoever employs a properly structured staff to oversee day to day operations as there are never enough volunteers to fill spots to provide after school supervision for latchkey kids.
I disagree. Because what you're saying is that the Boys and Girls clubs of America are nothing but teen hangouts. The YMCA and YWCA are nothing but teen hangouts. What about libraries? There are a lot of prominent people in this country who benefited from those programs and institutions. Would you rather have kids in one location around constructive activities than at National Harbor or Down Town Silver Spring having street fights or breaking into your car for cell phones and ipads? And I can guarantee you if these centers were built, there would always be enough volunteers to fill these spots. Even if they came from across the river.

Quote:
As far as it being a referendum...I don't know. The street surfaces are kind of 3rd world around here

Try driving in NYC, Philly, or Cleveland, then get back to me on third world streets.
Quote:
I remember when playgrounds were good enough for those who didn't belong to boy/girl scouts or play organized sports.
Unfortunately, technology has pulled kids away from physical and social interaction at playgrounds. In addition, parents nowadays aren't willing to trust in the safety of playgrounds even if there are 20 kids playing constructively without supervision.

Quote:
There are a lot of symptoms but investing and planning only go so far before it begins anew. What was learned from the very first ventures?
What was learned is that they work when properly funded. A lot of programs were eventually cut because of a variety of issues with updated education policies and lack of funding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2012, 02:09 PM
 
200 posts, read 239,682 times
Reputation: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
I disagree. Because what you're saying is that the Boys and Girls clubs of America are nothing but teen hangouts. The YMCA and YWCA are nothing but teen hangouts. What about libraries? There are a lot of prominent people in this country who benefited from those programs and institutions. Would you rather have kids in one location around constructive activities than at National Harbor or Down Town Silver Spring having street fights or breaking into your car for cell phones and ipads? And I can guarantee you if these centers were built, there would always be enough volunteers to fill these spots. Even if they came from across the river.




Try driving in NYC, Philly, or Cleveland, then get back to me on third world streets.


Unfortunately, technology has pulled kids away from physical and social interaction at playgrounds. In addition, parents nowadays aren't willing to trust in the safety of playgrounds even if there are 20 kids playing constructively without supervision.



What was learned is that they work when properly funded. A lot of programs were eventually cut because of a variety of issues with updated education policies and lack of funding.

So it all comes down to volunteers/funding?
Volunteers are willing if they are funded to accomplish their task. When they aren't funded the volunteers go away unless they are very local and have some stake in it; example...their kids.

We are in a time where funding anything is tight.

As far as streets; I was up in NYC and Philly this summer. I don't drive those on a regular basis as I live here. My immediate streets are used by commuters to cut through the neighborhood because they may be shortcuts. The same may be true in your neck of the woods. The point is the streets aren't designed/built to handle the traffic and they deteriorate because of so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2012, 02:33 PM
 
Location: It's in the name!
5,587 posts, read 6,370,340 times
Reputation: 2165
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoreater View Post

We are in a time where funding anything is tight.
Which is why new avenues of revenues are being explored. Much to the disappointment of some.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2012, 08:23 PM
 
1,204 posts, read 262,084 times
Reputation: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsmith365 View Post
Good observation, North Beach Person...very good. Now that you mention that, I totally forgot that when they were first developing National Harbor, or proposing it, they wanted to have gambling boats on the Potomac.

I totally agree.
Disney pulled out, again, they have to do something.....gambling is a good start!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top