U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think of the National Harbor in PG County?
I love it! It is fantastic!!! 10 17.54%
It's OK, and should get better as the economy recovers! 18 31.58%
It could be better...a whole LOT better. 22 38.60%
They should rename it "National Disaster". 7 12.28%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-20-2010, 02:42 PM

520 posts, read 816,762 times

Advertisements

Wow, TheJetSet is really angry and I am sorry for that. You have very valid points, as we all do, but I am certain that you have not read the whole thread.

You mention NY restaurants. So, because they are NYC restaurants they are better? I gather you have never eaten there, either. I've eaten at ALL of the restaurants numerous times and I am not impressed. Poor service, poorer food and higher prices because they have to cover their rent. We've eaten @ Ketchup 4 times, 4/4 there was something on the menu they did not have. First, they said they ran out of shrimp @ 5pm so you couldn't get the shrimp meal. The day before Valentines day, my wife and I are eating and they only had 50% of the stuff on their menu because, and I quote the GM, "We are in the process of getting another cook and the menu is changing, so for the next few days some menu items are unavailable." And, you do this BEFORE a big day, Valentine's day?!?! Luckily, we got our meal for 50% off, which was still >$70 and I had to go home and season up my food.

We ate @ Moon Bay, which claims/ed, to be a seafood place and they had 2 seafood items. Again, they were out of shrimp and this was the second day open. Trust me, it happened again, and we ain't been back since.

Just ordered shrimp & scallops from Thai Pavilion (the new Thai Place) as take out. They forgot my shrimp, but told me they PROBABLY gave me extra scallops which made up for my meal and the extra $3.95 per seafood item that they charged me. I MADE them refund my $3.95 just for the principle.

Mayorga coffee. For the big Xmas tree lighting ceramony that they charge a $10 flat fee parking for, we are in Mayorga and the girls working serving the customers are all frustrated dropping "f" bombs and other fantastic words because the place is busy and they were struggling. AND THEIR COFFEE AND HOT CHOCOLATE SUCKED/S!!!

McCormick and Schmick: Bad food and worse service. My boss told me she even went there (she & hubby are from VA) and said they wanted outdoor seating. The hostess told her to see the outdoor seating hostess. This is during brunch. There was only 1 other couple sitting out there. It took them 20 minutes to get a seat and every empty table they asked for, they were told they could not have. She said she and her husband think the Harbor is not worth it for shopping, dining, nothing, and that she is never going back.

Rosa, Grace's and Cadillac Ranch, I got what I paid for. I will admit, they are good. Unfortunately with Grace's their menu is not extensive enough for me and I find myself ordering the same thing over and over. But, the view is incredible. Same with Rosa. Cadillac is just a fun shop. The food is equivalent to the price.

Again, you make valid points, but you obviously got a vested interest in the company because you sound really teed off that I am making an honest observation.

I never said they couldn't have tourist stuff down there. Never said they couldn't have rodeo-drive type stores down there. But, what I am saying is there is no variety nor complimentary retail shopping down there...period. Even for a woman, who is going to shop, you cannot buy a nice blouse, then go and find some wonderful shoes and a cool jacket and some jeans to go with it and hook it all up and have a real shopping experience. For a man, there is nothing that makes it convienient shopping for the locals or for ANYBODY. No Virginian or Washingtonian is going to drive 10-20 minutes to go to one store. If they want to hit Swarovsky, they can go to Pentagon and hit that AND still brouse at the Sony store, the Apple store, Nordstrom, and then go pay their $3 parking bill and feel as though the park was worth it.

Dude, you honestly think moving the Awakening to NH was a great mental win. He was in the BACK of Haines point in some burnt up grass with seagulls flying all around him. The only people who saw him were the bike riders and the joggers and the OCCASIONAL tourist that would stop me and ask where he was. In fact, I'm glad he's gone because he's being better utilized.

I'll admit, there were some great mental wins (Ovo, conferences, revenue being generated for the county and job creation), but state revenue means nothing if you have incompetent or unscrupulous civil servents (I think PG's new County Exec will do better) who'll mess that up. When my property value goes up from the Harbor's presence, when it impacts Ft Wash like Abe Polin's Verizon Center, or when they finally complete it and add some worthwile stores, not another art store, then I'll dance a ***. It, also, means nothing without sustainability. Where will you, as in NH, be in 5, 10, 20 years. Anybody can find a plot of land and build something similar. In fact, they are trying to do so near the new carrollton station. DC is finishing up M Street with retail space to compliment the baseball area. Everyone likes new stuff; but nostalgia does not last forever.

No development caters 100% to there residents. But McLean,VA and Chevy Chase, and any other place you name has so much variety that they can afford not to do so.

But, the Ft Washington area hasn't been catered to, yet. They built Waldorf in 3 weeks (exaggeration). You leave one week, come back, and an entire business district is completed. I do not know where you live, it's obviously not Ft Wash/Oxon Hill, but I assume you are going to sleep in the Gaylord every other weekend, go to the National Children's Museum in 2012 when it opens every weekend and for your art pleasure you are going to brouse the 5 art stores and take pictures of the Awakening every weekend. You think DC is fretting the Harbor when they have a huge convention center that hosts the CBC, automobile show and every big convention that comes to town? You think DC is mad they did not get the National Children's Museum when they have a Zoo that they are remodeling, the Smithsonian, National Gallery of Art and much, much more. They have the Mandarin, W, Willard, Ritz, blah, blah, blah... When they film "Night at the Museum 3", "True Lies Part 2" or "Transformers 4" in the Harbor, you let ME know. When Obama passes up Ben's in DC or the burger joint in VA and cops a squat in Fort Washington...ooops, I mean "National Harbor, MD", call me. You think the Harbor will survive off of tourist dollars alone when all of the tourist are IN DC taking in REAL tourist stuff.

Last edited by ajsmith365; 10-20-2010 at 02:54 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2010, 02:47 PM

6,038 posts, read 6,539,453 times
I CAN be kind of knee-jerk in my reactions to thing (me? no not ME) But the more I really THINK about this thread. I guess it really is about OPTIONS. And some people have them, and others don't. And what can or should (if anything) be done about it when some people don't have the same options as others.

AJ has asked for honesty. And it doesn't put me in a good light, but to be honest -- I don't do much shopping if PG, and don't know that I would IF the options were closer at hand. (And for this I'm sure I need to examine my feelings about that)

I do most of my shopping in Anne Arundel county. I live near (1 1/4 miles) from the Bowie town center and don't shop there.
Don't like the layout and parking difficulties. I'd much rather go to Annapolis Mall. And on a DAY of shopping with friends we might feel like the drive to Columbia Mall, Marley's Station (up route 2 toward Glen Burnie) or even Rockville. (If you want to go to certain stores that are only located there that's where you have to go anyway.)

But I have that option. And to be honest. I wouldn't live in a place that only had liquor stores and cheap $20.00 clothing stores. It's sad but true, that some days I don't care about the options other people don't have. But I fight against that, because I suppose we should care about others if only for our own preservation. So that if they're happy where they are, they won't come over here where I am.

But I can also relate to not have the options you would like. I (and others) tried to lobby Trader Joes to locate in Bowie. Great location, great demographics -- which can CERTAINLY support a major health food/organic type store. They weren't interested. Just said they weren't opening anymore stores in MD. I live in Bowie and until lately had to go to Annapolis for higher-end/organic/alternative kind of food shopping.

We had a 24-hour Giant on Route 3 near the Walmart on the south end of Bowie when I first moved her. It was great. Then it stopped being 24 hours. I asked why. A clerk said the shoplifting over night wasn't worth keeping the store open. That's sad. Law-abiding citizens lose a shopping option because of criminals. But I suppose that anywhere not just here.

With elections coming up, all I can say if you don't think your representatives have done right by you -- with development, taxes, police services, or ANY OTHER issue that's important to you, you might want to think about giving someone else a chance to get the job done.

Old 10-20-2010, 03:41 PM

Well said, Selhars. I totally agree. And, like I said, I would love to have the option of saying "I can shop and buy X @ NH, but nah I am going to go to Potomac Mills or wherever." The sad part is, we don't have that option. When we were starting out as a family, the area offered us the affordability to buy a decent house in a nice neighborhood. In 2003, we could not afford a comparable anywhere else without being inconvenienced.

And, you made a great point. You live in Bowie, you COULD shop in Bowie, but you choose to do otherwise. It may be that you don't want to be confined to your neighborhood and you want to ride out, but the option is there to go shop in Bowie.

Some developments are coming to Ft Wash, and they are starting to make transportation improvements and other public works projects (new sports and learning complex coming summer '11). But, as far as shopping, it is not there; not for my demographic or for the things I value (service, convenience, diverse stores, complimentary stores).

Again. I'll go back to marketing 101. NH will need local dollars for the reasons I have already stressed. Maybe it is in the works, we are in a recession and maybe the stores just cannot chance it. But, until I see otherwise, I'm going to hold my current position.

Old 10-20-2010, 06:33 PM

497 posts, read 512,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsmith365 View Post
Wow, TheJetSet is really angry and I am sorry for that. You have very valid points, as we all do, but I am certain that you have not read the whole thread.

You mention NY restaurants. So, because they are NYC restaurants they are better? I gather you have never eaten there, either. I've eaten at ALL of the restaurants numerous times and I am not impressed. Poor service, poorer food and higher prices because they have to cover their rent. We've eaten @ Ketchup 4 times, 4/4 there was something on the menu they did not have. First, they said they ran out of shrimp @ 5pm so you couldn't get the shrimp meal. The day before Valentines day, my wife and I are eating and they only had 50% of the stuff on their menu because, and I quote the GM, "We are in the process of getting another cook and the menu is changing, so for the next few days some menu items are unavailable." And, you do this BEFORE a big day, Valentine's day?!?! Luckily, we got our meal for 50% off, which was still >$70 and I had to go home and season up my food.

We ate @ Moon Bay, which claims/ed, to be a seafood place and they had 2 seafood items. Again, they were out of shrimp and this was the second day open. Trust me, it happened again, and we ain't been back since.

Just ordered shrimp & scallops from Thai Pavilion (the new Thai Place) as take out. They forgot my shrimp, but told me they PROBABLY gave me extra scallops which made up for my meal and the extra $3.95 per seafood item that they charged me. I MADE them refund my $3.95 just for the principle.

Mayorga coffee. For the big Xmas tree lighting ceramony that they charge a $10 flat fee parking for, we are in Mayorga and the girls working serving the customers are all frustrated dropping "f" bombs and other fantastic words because the place is busy and they were struggling. AND THEIR COFFEE AND HOT CHOCOLATE SUCKED/S!!!

McCormick and Schmick: Bad food and worse service. My boss told me she even went there (she & hubby are from VA) and said they wanted outdoor seating. The hostess told her to see the outdoor seating hostess. This is during brunch. There was only 1 other couple sitting out there. It took them 20 minutes to get a seat and every empty table they asked for, they were told they could not have. She said she and her husband think the Harbor is not worth it for shopping, dining, nothing, and that she is never going back.

Rosa, Grace's and Cadillac Ranch, I got what I paid for. I will admit, they are good. Unfortunately with Grace's their menu is not extensive enough for me and I find myself ordering the same thing over and over. But, the view is incredible. Same with Rosa. Cadillac is just a fun shop. The food is equivalent to the price.

Again, you make valid points, but you obviously got a vested interest in the company because you sound really teed off that I am making an honest observation.

I never said they couldn't have tourist stuff down there. Never said they couldn't have rodeo-drive type stores down there. But, what I am saying is there is no variety nor complimentary retail shopping down there...period. Even for a woman, who is going to shop, you cannot buy a nice blouse, then go and find some wonderful shoes and a cool jacket and some jeans to go with it and hook it all up and have a real shopping experience. For a man, there is nothing that makes it convienient shopping for the locals or for ANYBODY. No Virginian or Washingtonian is going to drive 10-20 minutes to go to one store. If they want to hit Swarovsky, they can go to Pentagon and hit that AND still brouse at the Sony store, the Apple store, Nordstrom, and then go pay their $3 parking bill and feel as though the park was worth it.

Dude, you honestly think moving the Awakening to NH was a great mental win. He was in the BACK of Haines point in some burnt up grass with seagulls flying all around him. The only people who saw him were the bike riders and the joggers and the OCCASIONAL tourist that would stop me and ask where he was. In fact, I'm glad he's gone because he's being better utilized.

I'll admit, there were some great mental wins (Ovo, conferences, revenue being generated for the county and job creation), but state revenue means nothing if you have incompetent or unscrupulous civil servents (I think PG's new County Exec will do better) who'll mess that up. When my property value goes up from the Harbor's presence, when it impacts Ft Wash like Abe Polin's Verizon Center, or when they finally complete it and add some worthwile stores, not another art store, then I'll dance a ***. It, also, means nothing without sustainability. Where will you, as in NH, be in 5, 10, 20 years. Anybody can find a plot of land and build something similar. In fact, they are trying to do so near the new carrollton station. DC is finishing up M Street with retail space to compliment the baseball area. Everyone likes new stuff; but nostalgia does not last forever.

No development caters 100% to there residents. But McLean,VA and Chevy Chase, and any other place you name has so much variety that they can afford not to do so.

But, the Ft Washington area hasn't been catered to, yet. They built Waldorf in 3 weeks (exaggeration). You leave one week, come back, and an entire business district is completed. I do not know where you live, it's obviously not Ft Wash/Oxon Hill, but I assume you are going to sleep in the Gaylord every other weekend, go to the National Children's Museum in 2012 when it opens every weekend and for your art pleasure you are going to brouse the 5 art stores and take pictures of the Awakening every weekend. You think DC is fretting the Harbor when they have a huge convention center that hosts the CBC, automobile show and every big convention that comes to town? You think DC is mad they did not get the National Children's Museum when they have a Zoo that they are remodeling, the Smithsonian, National Gallery of Art and much, much more. They have the Mandarin, W, Willard, Ritz, blah, blah, blah... When they film "Night at the Museum 3", "True Lies Part 2" or "Transformers 4" in the Harbor, you let ME know. When Obama passes up Ben's in DC or the burger joint in VA and cops a squat in Fort Washington...ooops, I mean "National Harbor, MD", call me. You think the Harbor will survive off of tourist dollars alone when all of the tourist are IN DC taking in REAL tourist stuff.
And you are very narrowed minded and self centered. This is all your opinion and could be said about anywhere in the D.C. area. Why don't you create a thread about those too instead of singling out National Harbor?

Reston is fake and suburban with chains and no metro. The closest thing to a club in Tysons Corner is TGI Fridays, Capital Hill is a dead zone at night with no metro access for most of it and Gallery Place is full of chains too. For the Nations capital I am disappointed with D.C. and its the amount of decay.

Chevy Chase and Mclean variety? Exclusive Multi Million dollar homes, Saks and Nieman? Cheescake Factory? Have you ever been there?

If you are a true fair and equal person, start threads about those places and their short comings too. Unless... all you wanted to do was paint another negative picture about Prince George's County, that we've heard 10 millions times before.

National Harbor retail is almost no different than Bethesda Row, National Harbor has more exclusive stores though, WHICH IS A GOOD THING!

Prince George's desperately needs to offer upscale uses that other jurisdictions in the region don't. National Harbor is that place.

"I, I, I, me, me, me" (probably a boomer). Guess what it's not about you. Try and grasp the big picture.

National Harbor has hit the ground running and has pissed off D.C. and Va in the process of its success. From the Nationals Gala to the awakening to National Childrens Museums, companies moving from Va etc etc. It's a vortex sucking in things from other parts of the D.C. area and creating balance on the east.

I bet you're not even from MD the way you spewed off at the end. No true Marylander would ever say that, why would you defend D.C. if you live in MD do you pay D.C. taxes?

Marylanders need to be very aware of people like this who bring their hate to try to discredit places in Maryland, all it ever is is negative bickering.

I'm sure you'd be much happier if National Harbor didn't exist or Va or DC, thankfully you don't matter.

Old 10-20-2010, 07:51 PM

Default Can't we all just get along?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJetSet View Post
And you are very narrowed minded and self centered. This is all your opinion...

Reston is fake and suburban...The closest thing to a club in Tysons Corner is TGI Fridays, Capital Hill is a dead zone at night...Gallery Place is full of chains too. For the Nations capital I am disappointed with D.C. and its the amount of decay.
How you call me narrow-minded and self centered and, obviously, you have not read my posts. You call me names and say this is all my opinion, yet your above quote is full of opinions. You don't have stats nor hard data to support your claims. That's what city data is, a bunch of people speculating and getting opinions, good or bad, from one another. This is not that serious, bruah, and I'm getting a little scared. You may track my IP address, do a trace route, and stalk me for bashing your employer, Milt Peterson

Quote:
Chevy Chase and Mclean variety? Exclusive Multi Million dollar homes, Saks and Nieman? Cheescake Factory? Have you ever been there?
Been there, probably more times than you. Mazza gallery, used to do it every day while attending Woodrow Wilson High School (by way of DeMatha). See, I went to both a DC and a PG county school and can say I loved DeMatha better. You happy? Let's stop fighting, bruah, this is not that serious.

Quote:
If you are a true fair and equal person, start threads about those places and their short comings too. Unless... all you wanted to do was paint another negative picture about Prince George's County, that we've heard 10 millions times before.
Man, you just don't get it. I'm sorry, I'm trying to help NH out. I even constructively asked a question to people in this thread about what would we like to see changed, or not, to make NH the bomb! I live here, I want it to succeed. I even keep eating at there wack restaurants because sometimes I want get too lazy to go into the city or drive to VA. In fact, I order take out from Proud Mary's ALL THE TIME. They should have put Proud Mary's down there.

Quote:
National Harbor retail is almost no different than Bethesda Row, National Harbor has more exclusive stores though, WHICH IS A GOOD THING!
I bet Bethesda Row has more retail stores, and a better variety, too. I bet you can choose between at least 3 different shoe retailers there. Competition is good, you know. It helps keep prices competitive for consumers.

Quote:
Prince George's desperately needs to offer upscale uses that other jurisdictions in the region don't. National Harbor is that place.
I TOTALLY AGREE, AREN'T YOU PAYING ATTENTION. Never said they can't have upscale stores. Just put some stores up in there. C'mon, bruah! 5 art stores, 3 women's stores, a store that sells designer luggage, 1 wack shoe store, 1 jewelry store and 1 grown man jos. bank store does not constitute shopping, nor variety. Sorry bruah, but you still my man and it is all love. Stop taking this stuff seriously, dude.

Quote:
"I, I, I, me, me, me" (probably a boomer). Guess what it's not about you. Try and grasp the big picture.
I'm 37. Sorry, I'm a Gen-Xer. I'm trying to grasp the big picture...I'm also trying to shop without having to run outside of the county. I'm trying to support PG, God know'd I am.

Quote:
I bet you're not even from MD the way you spewed off at the end. No true Marylander would ever say that, why would you defend D.C. if you live in MD do you pay D.C. taxes?
Lived in DC all but 7 years. I love Fort Washington, though. But, as soon as my job let's me telecommute full time, I'm going to Raleigh; there are more civilized people there who won't get mad if I bash South Point, Crabtree Valley or North Hills. And, they got good BBQ, too!

Quote:
I'm sure you'd be much happier if National Harbor didn't exist or Va or DC, thankfully you don't matter.
You just hurt my feelings, dawg. But, (this is my Miss Ceely impression): "What you done to me, already been done to you."

C'mon, man, let's have good discussion about this. I agree with a lot of your points, but you are so scared that your employer is going to fail that you getting mad at me. Don't be mad @ me, I didn't put them 5 art stores up in there.

Last edited by ajsmith365; 10-20-2010 at 08:25 PM..

Old 10-20-2010, 09:18 PM

6,038 posts, read 6,539,453 times
I know this is off point a bit but I just HAD to post it given the topic....

PG county Council has voted to raise their $96,417 a year salaries. They'll be indexed and up to more than 100,000, by 2015 -- and our dear, dear (outgoing-no comment) County Executive makes $174,540 a year. Both are already the most of any county council or county exec in the state.

Are you getting your money's worth??

Old 10-20-2010, 09:35 PM

Thanks for the information, Selhars. I did not know that. Plus, we need a little levity and change of pace around this thread.

Man, I guess Jack Johnson - whose online avatar is TheJetSet - is probably lining up his job as the PR person for the National Harbor.

Man, if you get the figures for the other counties, you should post them. I really like the incoming County Executive Rushern Baker. I think he is going to do some good things for the county. If he don't we will write about him, too, on city data; don't get it twisted.

Old 10-20-2010, 10:30 PM

791 posts, read 2,385,201 times
As a matter of fact for years there was a huge vacant space in the Swann Creek shopping center that many thought would attract a department store to the area, but Fort Washington just has not attracted any of those business.

I know the vacant space you refer to. In the 1980s it was a MEMCO department store, then in the 1990s was a Hechinger's hardware/homewares store. Finally Eddie Bauer sportwear moved into the building, but after a short time Bauer closed down after making news headlines due a racially-charged lawsuit. (A young shopper won a costly judgement against the store because they had detained him, as he was walking out wearing a garment bearing the Eddie Bauer name, but it turned out that he had bought it there previously).

It can be nice down here because its much slower pace here than the northern part, it has potential for growth, but there just isn't enough here now to keep my family or a lot of families here. The only reason I'm even here is because of the low prices on properties and the opportunity to save for a house, but as soon as our money is up, there is nothing right now that is making us want to stay.[/quote]

I can't help but thinking that route 210 would attract more chain restaurants, if it were a through-highway for interstate traffic - like route 301 is in Bowie and Waldorf, or like Route 1 in Alexandria and Laurel. Also, because Fort Washington is tucked away down in the corner of the county, it is somewhat far to amenities like P.G. Community College. Actually, way back in 1970 I remember there was talk of building an extra branch campus of PGCC in Clinton, MD, (just like how Montgomery College has 3 separate campus locations in their county), but this never happened.

Southern PG as a whole is just too spread-out, is entirely residential without much industry or colleges, and doesn't have the density to support things like circulating bus services within the area, like Montgomery and No. Va. does. Our industry consists of basically just the SAME FEW facilities that existed 60 years ago (Census Bureau and Andrews AFB) with very little quality job growth since that time. Well on second thought, Andrews AFB is adding more jobs now -- however, this recent article says that Andrews's extra workforce might not impact the county's economy much, since many if not most of the new staff are likely to choose to live out-of-county http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...94.html?sub=AR.

Last edited by slowlane; 10-20-2010 at 11:06 PM..

Old 10-21-2010, 08:34 AM

10,136 posts, read 11,226,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane View Post
I know the vacant space you refer to. In the 1980s it was a MEMCO department store, then in the 1990s was a Hechinger's hardware/homewares store. Finally Eddie Bauer sportwear moved into the building, but after a short time Bauer closed down after making news headlines due a racially-charged lawsuit. (A young shopper won a costly judgement against the store because they had detained him, as he was walking out wearing a garment bearing the Eddie Bauer name, but it turned out that he had bought it there previously).
I do remember when the Hechinger's and Eddie Bauer was there, but I was too young to remember MEMCO. It was sad because the space was so huge. My parents really thought Fort Washington would eventually get another department store in that space, but part of the problem became the crime in that shopping center. I remember hearing about the Blockbuster getting robbed when it first opened and the Convenience Store that was over by the Domino's. In a lot of ways, Fort Washington embodies everything that is wrong with PG County, a nice place that never developed to what it could be because of the people who choose to screw it up. I mean some of the crime that happened in Fort Washington during that time was coming from people that lived in nice homes, who had both parents but chose to make the wrong decisions. Businesses seem scared of the reputation that developed from those times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane View Post
I can't help but thinking that route 210 would attract more chain restaurants, if it were a through-highway for interstate traffic - like route 301 is in Bowie and Waldorf, or like Route 1 in Alexandria and Laurel. Also, because Fort Washington is tucked away down in the corner of the county, it is somewhat far to amenities like P.G. Community College. Actually, way back in 1970 I remember there was talk of building an extra branch campus of PGCC in Clinton, MD, (just like how Montgomery College has 3 separate campus locations in their county), but this never happened.

Southern PG as a whole is just too spread-out, is entirely residential without much industry or colleges, and doesn't have the density to support things like circulating bus services within the area, like Montgomery and No. Va. does. Our industry consists of basically just the SAME FEW facilities that existed 60 years ago (Census Bureau and Andrews AFB) with very little quality job growth since that time. Well on second thought, Andrews AFB is adding more jobs now -- however, this recent article says that Andrews's extra workforce might not impact the county's economy much, since many if not most of the new staff are likely to choose to live out-of-county washingtonpost.com.
I agree to an extent. The problem with the area now is there are too many subdivisions along the road for the road to support the growth. I mean I not just talking about Fort Washington, I'm talking about Accokeek, Bryans Road, and Indian Head. When I grew up in Accokeek there was only two main subdivisions, Simmons Acres and Whitehall Forest (and Hunters Pointe later), now I counted about 12 more subdivisions that have been built since I moved out of the house and they are building more!!!!! Accokeek is no longer a rural area, it is become a full-blown suburb that is no longer spread out and so the need for transportation is becoming greater.

Rep. Donna Edwards has been discussing improvements on MD 210 to make the traffic flow better and it has long been discussed to add an expressway. I agree that the job creation in this region has been too slow. Fort Washington, Accokeek, and Waldorf are all bedroom communities, that have not developed job growth for its residence outside of retail (Waldorf). Perhaps the new County Executive will address that matter since he has stated that Economic Development and increase the tax base is one of his main goals.

And as far as the the BRAC to Andrews, I read that article before and I somewhat agree with the assessment. Until this county improves the school system and drops crime, they will not attract families of any type, however places like the National Harbor will attract some to move here and also to patronize businesses. I mean you look at the shopping center across from Andrews, what do you see? A Popeyes, Checkers, Family Dollar, Colortyme rental center, and some other typical PG shops. Do you think people will come out in droves to those places? Smart growth would mean either re-modeling that shopping center or building a new one with nice shops that would attract local and local workers. The same thing can be said in Suitland as well, which is where I work. When I want to eat out for lunch the closest things are a Popeyes and Subway. There are about 5000 people in this facility and you mean to tell me you don't think you can benefit from all these people patronizing nice restaurants and shops near their job. National Harbor is the only reasonably nice place around here and so until they address that people are going to avoid eating out.

Old 10-21-2010, 08:52 AM

10,136 posts, read 11,226,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
I know this is off point a bit but I just HAD to post it given the topic....

PG county Council has voted to raise their $96,417 a year salaries. They'll be indexed and up to more than 100,000, by 2015 -- and our dear, dear (outgoing-no comment) County Executive makes $174,540 a year. Both are already the most of any county council or county exec in the state.

Are you getting your money's worth??
Well I have no cut cards with me, I will call it like I see. I don't care if Rushern Baker, Jack Johnson, or whoever sees it. Until they address the key issues with this county and show their worth as leaders in this county that don't deserve diddly squat. We are playing too much money for mediocrity. Now I'm all for economic development and I think that's fine in all, but let's put things in perspective. Before you attract any businesses, before you attract families to move here. You have to address education and crime first. Everything else will follow after that. There is no reason our school system should be worse than Baltimore City, period. Clean house, pass legislation, do what you got to do, but don't accept what we have now. When I drive by Friendly High School, I shake my head because the outside appearance of the school is indicative of the county concern for education. The school doesn't need a new building per say, they just need to do a better job taking care of the building that it is in. The parking lot is horrible, cracks all over it, potholes, the fence next to the football field is rusted and bent up. I hate to say this, but when I go to VA, even the older school are kept up. They still keep them clean, manicure the grass, re-pave the parking lots when necessary. The building outside appearance just shows what we, as a county, really think about schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland