U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think of the National Harbor in PG County?
I love it! It is fantastic!!! 10 17.54%
It's OK, and should get better as the economy recovers! 18 31.58%
It could be better...a whole LOT better. 22 38.60%
They should rename it "National Disaster". 7 12.28%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 08:08 AM

10,136 posts, read 11,215,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJetSet View Post
And you are very narrowed minded and self centered. This is all your opinion and could be said about anywhere in the D.C. area. Why don't you create a thread about those too instead of singling out National Harbor?

Reston is fake and suburban with chains and no metro. The closest thing to a club in Tysons Corner is TGI Fridays, Capital Hill is a dead zone at night with no metro access for most of it and Gallery Place is full of chains too. For the Nations capital I am disappointed with D.C. and its the amount of decay.

Chevy Chase and Mclean variety? Exclusive Multi Million dollar homes, Saks and Nieman? Cheescake Factory? Have you ever been there?

If you are a true fair and equal person, start threads about those places and their short comings too. Unless... all you wanted to do was paint another negative picture about Prince George's County, that we've heard 10 millions times before.

National Harbor retail is almost no different than Bethesda Row, National Harbor has more exclusive stores though, WHICH IS A GOOD THING!

Prince George's desperately needs to offer upscale uses that other jurisdictions in the region don't. National Harbor is that place.

"I, I, I, me, me, me" (probably a boomer). Guess what it's not about you. Try and grasp the big picture.

National Harbor has hit the ground running and has pissed off D.C. and Va in the process of its success. From the Nationals Gala to the awakening to National Childrens Museums, companies moving from Va etc etc. It's a vortex sucking in things from other parts of the D.C. area and creating balance on the east.

I bet you're not even from MD the way you spewed off at the end. No true Marylander would ever say that, why would you defend D.C. if you live in MD do you pay D.C. taxes?

Marylanders need to be very aware of people like this who bring their hate to try to discredit places in Maryland, all it ever is is negative bickering.

I'm sure you'd be much happier if National Harbor didn't exist or Va or DC, thankfully you don't matter.
Okay I was going to let ajsmith365 handle this, but now I have to say something. I don't think he said anything really that bad about National Harbor, it just sounds like he was expressing his opinion. Granted we may not agree with everything he says, but at the end of the day it's just his opinion. Okay so you disagree, good! He didn't tell you, you had to agree with him. To be honest, I've been around other people who have said the exact same thing he has said about the National Harbor so it's not like he's the only one and yes these people are from Maryland. Shoot, I agree with most of what he said, and he made some good points, but its still just his opinion. Dude chill out it's not that serious.

And to be quite frank I've lived in Maryland my entire life with the exception of college and I honestly don't really think Maryland is that great. Granted, there's some nice places here and there, but in PG County we get taxed more than any other county, we have corrupt politicians, high crime, illogical development, horrible school systems, and very little sense of community. So to me I would live in Reston any day of the week, if I could afford it. The point wasn't for him to bash National Harbor. He was simply stating that there just isn't enough down in this area, so it makes little sense to build a destination spot when the local residents still have nothing themselves. He's right. People down here, have had to travel 30, 40 miles out of the way just to go to decent shops and stores. National Harbor was hyped to be that next place but it isn't. Although I understand the reason why it is catered to attract tourists, but what happens to the locals who are being taxed to death? When do we get something for ourselves?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2010, 08:30 AM

520 posts, read 815,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatkins View Post
...Now I'm all for economic development and I think that's fine in all, but let's put things in perspective. Before you attract any businesses, before you attract families to move here. You have to address education and crime first. Everything else will follow after that. There is no reason our school system should be worse than Baltimore City, period.
Not that I cared for her too much, and thought she was overrated, but they could have hired Michelle Rhee. She has national exposure and a kiss butt-type of attitude. I agree with you on school and crime. And, there's too much money in the area, and county, to be worse than Baltimore schools. That says something about the leadership. Good points.

Quote:
I hate to say this, but when I go to VA, even the older school are kept up. They still keep them clean, manicure the grass, re-pave the parking lots when necessary. The building outside appearance just shows what we, as a county, really think about schools.
I don't know if you saw Rushern Baker's campaign advertisement when he showed a thriving VA and a lackluster PG County. The thing I like about him, and about the commercial, is that he recognizes the opportunity of PG to be great and recognizes our shortcomings. Now, what he does, we'll have to see. But, hopefully it is a start. Maybe, what we as citizens should do is try to mobilize the people in the community to pick some of our elementary schools and do some cleanup. Donate some time and some cash and put the manpower in to at least put up a facade that the building is top notch; the internal learning will have to be left up to the teachers. I know we have digressed from the main topic, but it ties in...just a thought.

Old 10-21-2010, 08:38 AM

1,831 posts, read 3,733,571 times
Here's another problem. When you try to get some commercial development in a place like Fort Washington, you get this:

Fort Washington residents decry development proposal

What's is going to be? Okay, so you want to preserve land and avoid high-density development. And yes, what the world needs now in Fort Washington is not another housing development. But I am betting that you can't even plan for more retail down there without someone pitching a fit. And so the status quo remains...

Old 10-21-2010, 08:45 AM

1,831 posts, read 3,733,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsmith365 View Post
Not that I cared for her too much, and thought she was overrated, but they could have hired Michelle Rhee. She has national exposure and a kiss butt-type of attitude. I agree with you on school and crime. And, there's too much money in the area, and county, to be worse than Baltimore schools. That says something about the leadership. Good points.
There is no excuse, for either lackluster performance or crappy-looking facilities. Also, parents don't collectively pitch a fit about potholes in the parking lot or sewer gas smells in the bathrooms at some schools. At certain other schools (which also rank high), you'd better not have any of that mess going on!

Old 10-21-2010, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowian View Post
Here's another problem. When you try to get some commercial development in a place like Fort Washington, you get this:

Fort Washington residents decry development proposal

What's is going to be? Okay, so you want to preserve land and avoid high-density development. And yes, what the world needs now in Fort Washington is not another housing development. But I am betting that you can't even plan for more retail down there without someone pitching a fit. And so the status quo remains...
I just read that article and the resident do have some good points though. That area is really awful when it comes to traffic. If they are going to develop that area than they need to make plans to expand the lanes on Livingston Road. Livingston Road is too dark, too narrow, has no shoulders and is not helped by the traffic congestion on 210. Although the idea sounds great, it would just make a existing problem a lot worse. And goodness that area doesn't need anymore housing development. Fort Washington has a ridiculous amount of foreclosures still on the market. Building new homes would not help sales. If they can fix the roads down there than that area would be great for retail. There's nothing but trees and wetlands down there.

Old 10-21-2010, 08:55 AM

Quote:
To be honest, I've been around other people who have said the exact same thing he has said about the National Harbor so it's not like he's the only one and yes these people are from Maryland.
Thanks, Meatkins. Just to piggy-back, and I will leave this alone after that (if I can control myself), but being a long-term resident of DC and coming to PG County, a person like TheJetSet or MD politicians should want an outsiders perspective. I know how TheJetSet feels because I still am a die-hard Washingtonian as is when NY-ers move to where it is they go, they still represent their roots. However, I love Fort Washington and want to see it thrive and want to see the residents happy and taken care of. Being an outsider and a new-er resident gives a fresher perspective because my feelings for the county/state aren't as involved as some others. If I were putting my house up for sale, the best thing to do would be to get a person who has no connection to me at all to assess my place in order to give me constructive criticism in order to make it marketable to others. You can't assess your own place because you are going to think your furniture, decorations and landscaping is fabulous because you did it. But, others may tell you it's outdated, ugly, too bland, etc. They do it on HGTV all the time.

Who's higher on my priority list between tourists and residents, it's the residents. Sorry. They billed it as a MUD (mixed-use development) for the people of Ft Wash...well, I'm going to call you out on that. The original rendering had people swimming and jet-skiing on the nasty ---ed Potomac river...well, I knew that wasn't going to happen.

But, I hope TheJetSet comes back; I see he's started his own thread with a poll. He made some fabulous points. And, hopefully, NH will make other businesses in the area step their game up or spur other developments here. TheJetSet, I can say you made fabulous points. But, let's do like meatkins, selhars, bowian, north beach and others have done and talk about some things that would help the NH create a balance for both locals and tourists. Remember, someone from The Peterson Co. may be reading this and take it to heart. All peace and love and I welcome you back to this forum; in fact I hope you do come back because you provide a balance to my outrageousness! Come back, bruah, we miss you.

Old 10-21-2010, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowian View Post

Bowian, this situation would not work; I agree with meatkins. This is, basically, a 2-lane, country road with some speed bumps on it. They would need to widen it, put a traffic light up and some street lights in order to make this work in my opinion. I agree with meatkins. But, if they did comply and did all that I think they need to do, I do not know if I would still approve of it. Commercial property, yes; residential property...NO, not right now in this economy. That's also another problem going on nationally. There is a glut of housing on the market now that is killing real estate, the last thing you need is more housing. Nationally, they need to put a moratorium on building (in the really depressed markets) in order to keep values from falling and people walking away from their mortgages.

So, Commercial; good. Residential; bad.

But, your point is still relevant because when they were building the National Harbor (which has been planned since the 80s, maybe 70s), the residents fought it all the way. The first developer went bankrupt, if I'm not mistaken, from all the red tape. They wanted another "Dollar Store" type of mall area when there are 4 in the area (okay, maybe 3 in the area). So, yes, there is always those that are going to fight change, but some things do need regulation. For instance, with the NH, some people wanted to make sure that the residents rec'd a certain % of the jobs and contracts went to local residents and businesses. The Harbor and Jack Johnson broke this promise and hired a lot of VA contractors.

But, sometimes, when you need something, you can't argue about how you get it, and we need SOMETHING. But, at the same time, you have to make sure it is done right.

Old 10-21-2010, 09:19 AM

Quote:
I agree Rhee was overrated. Can I keep it real for a moment? The school system seemed to be doing fine when we had someone of a lighter skin color in charge. Not suggesting that he was better at the job, but it seems that the employees just responded better. We have this mentality in our culture that we look out for one another and that the accountability gets lost. I don't care what color the workers are, but if they aren't doing their jobs, they have to go. When Deasy took over, which is after I graduated, the school system was doing a lot better. When I was in college I heard all of these great things including better test scores, but then it just stopped. People are too complacent in this county. They do need a no-nonsense type like Rhee, but that person needs to be more professional than her. She took things too far and didn't know how to handle things professionally.

Quote:
I don't know if you saw Rushern Baker's campaign advertisement when he showed a thriving VA and a lackluster PG County. The thing I like about him, and about the commercial, is that he recognizes the opportunity of PG to be great and recognizes our shortcomings. Now, what he does, we'll have to see. But, hopefully it is a start. Maybe, what we as citizens should do is try to mobilize the people in the community to pick some of our elementary schools and do some cleanup. Donate some time and some cash and put the manpower in to at least put up a facade that the building is top notch; the internal learning will have to be left up to the teachers. I know we have digressed from the main topic, but it ties in...just a thought.
I seen it and he's right. When you go to VA you see Arlington/Rosslyn and Alexandria/Crystal City. Over here you see Capitol Heights , Suitland , Hyattsville , Forest Heights , and Temple Hills . All of them are trashy and rundown. Community cleanups would be a great idea!!! There is so much more we can do as a community to fix things up. We have no pride in our communities and schools. Even in my own community people leave trash everywhere, I get so fed up with that. I'm in the process of running for office in our HOA because its time to do something about this neighborhood. I just can't sit back on the computer and bash this county. Action is needed.

Old 10-21-2010, 11:14 AM

6,022 posts, read 6,521,704 times
Quote:
Before you attract any businesses, before you attract families to move here. You have to address education and crime first. Everything else will follow after that. There is no reason our school system should be worse than Baltimore City, period. Clean house, pass legislation, do what you got to do, but don't accept what we have now.
Here, here.

Quote:
Can I keep it real for a moment? The school system seemed to be doing fine when we had someone of a lighter skin color in charge. Not suggesting that he was better at the job, but it seems that the employees just responded better. We have this mentality in our culture that we look out for one another and that the accountability gets lost. I don't care what color the workers are, but if they aren't doing their jobs, they have to go. When Deasy took over, which is after I graduated, the school system was doing a lot better. When I was in college I heard all of these great things including better test scores, but then it just stopped. People are too complacent in this county. They do need a no-nonsense type like Rhee, but that person needs to be more professional than her. She took things too far and didn't know how to handle things professionally.
Keep it real, keep it real.
-----
(Oh, goodness, hear comes a rant)

Being SINK, I don't know WHAT the hell is wrong with the schools, but I've heard talk about it for DECADES.
It comes down to PARENTS demanding more, PERIOD. You get the schools you deserve, IF you don't change it.

Form a group. How many people are in the PTas of these schools? How many parents show up for parent night? How many parents are in there volunteering?

I don't want to hear SQUAT about how bad schools are unless parent involvement is over 50 percent, and those parents have been that involved for years and STILL it hasn't improved. THEN maybe I'd agree that even they're involvement hasn't changed anything.

I firmly believe people find a way to do want they want. I bet some these same parents are in front of the TV every Sunday watching football, or going out to dinner on weekends. If the school isn't teaching your kid -- YOU teach him. You tutor him.

If these parents can't read better than their children, or help them with the math, then they can form a parent group and FIND someone who can. If our parents and grandparent didn't get educations - some of them signed their names with 'Xs' for goodness sake -- and they knew WE needed to be taught -- and fought so that WE didn't sign with 'Xs', then I don't want to hear ANYTHING about today's parents not doing what it takes to make sure their kids are educated.

Again, being single with no kids schools are a peripheral issue for me -- other than wanting to be able to find a buyer for my house (decades from now). But I actually don't fear that really because there will always (lord willing be a market for mid-range starter homes (if the middle class hasn't been destroyed by then)

I'm just tired of hearing people complain about schools, schools, schools when - in my ignorance perhaps -- I don't see a whole lot of those same people -- busting THEIR butts, and doing what THEY could other than carrying signs and yelling like banshees at board and council meetings.

I'm tired of people clamoring -- when they don't even do what THEY can to help themselves.

((To be honest with you I think decades from now, we're just going to be a society even more split between 'haves' -- and marauding 'have nots' -- like "The Day After and "Mad Maxx" (with out the nuclear issue) or Soylent Green (without the food issue), or the French Revolution - with crowds with torches trying to storm the gates of where the haves live. Heck, we already have people who think they can kill you because you have something THEY want and they can just TAKE it from you. I fear it's only going to get worse.

All I know is I want to be able to be 'a have,' and live in the gated area. The 'haves' may have to have steel- plated cars when they leave their area, or just work from home with private police along their perimeter -- but I'm tired of hearing about people who've been lower-class, lower income or who send their kids to bad schools for generations.

There's NO EXCUSE FOR IT. I'm sorry, no excuse.

Old 10-21-2010, 12:20 PM

Just came back from lunch @ NH with the wifey. Here goes.

Stopped in Charming Charlie's. Nice spot. Now I see why that store gets a lot of traffic. Their shoes are $20-40 dollars, jewelry $20-30 bucks and clothes affordable. An Associate there told me they put Erwin Pearl out of business @ NH because their jewelry was $200 bucks and people were like why pay those prices when I can go to Charlie's. They also noted, and speculated, that the high-priced boutique around the corner, Simply Soles & Shoes, would not last. My wife and I went in there, they do not have that much stuff on display and the shoes are like $245 for those little slippers that the girls wear.

Another note. We went into the boutique inside the Gaylord. First thing we noticed was that their prices were drastically reduced. Jeans were marked down from $129 to $89, and some of the jewelry and watches were between $20-40 dollars. The original boutique is gone, it went to Georgetown, and this store replaced it. My wife said the price points are in line with Ann Taylor's. I even bought some jewelry for the wifey.

Also, the Potomac Gourmet grocery store opens next month (I knew about this one). But, what I did not know is that Baja Fresh is coming, and a Build-A-Bear is coming, too. Soooooooooooo, this goes to show that the reality is that they are now understanding that you have to come off of those high prices. The stores I named aren't enough to get me to say "Yeah!", I mean how many bears can I build, but it shows that it is moving in the right direction. So, I'll vote, "It's OK, and should get better as the economy recovers." They even have the pretzel stand and hotdog stand open and a Rita's kiosk.

So, moving in the right direction. My wife likes the stores, especially Charlie's, but she said she still needs more stores for the shopping experience and to draw her down there.

Hey, if they put a Brookstone, Barnes & Noble, Linens 'n Things, Sony, Apple, J. Crew, or Macy's type of store, we would be straight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland