U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think of the National Harbor in PG County?
I love it! It is fantastic!!! 10 17.54%
It's OK, and should get better as the economy recovers! 18 31.58%
It could be better...a whole LOT better. 22 38.60%
They should rename it "National Disaster". 7 12.28%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 12:25 PM

1,831 posts, read 3,734,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsmith365 View Post
Bowian, this situation would not work; I agree with meatkins. This is, basically, a 2-lane, country road with some speed bumps on it. They would need to widen it, put a traffic light up and some street lights in order to make this work in my opinion. I agree with meatkins. But, if they did comply and did all that I think they need to do, I do not know if I would still approve of it. Commercial property, yes; residential property...NO, not right now in this economy. That's also another problem going on nationally. There is a glut of housing on the market now that is killing real estate, the last thing you need is more housing. Nationally, they need to put a moratorium on building (in the really depressed markets) in order to keep values from falling and people walking away from their mortgages.

So, Commercial; good. Residential; bad.

But, your point is still relevant because when they were building the National Harbor (which has been planned since the 80s, maybe 70s), the residents fought it all the way. The first developer went bankrupt, if I'm not mistaken, from all the red tape. They wanted another "Dollar Store" type of mall area when there are 4 in the area (okay, maybe 3 in the area). So, yes, there is always those that are going to fight change, but some things do need regulation. For instance, with the NH, some people wanted to make sure that the residents rec'd a certain % of the jobs and contracts went to local residents and businesses. The Harbor and Jack Johnson broke this promise and hired a lot of VA contractors.

But, sometimes, when you need something, you can't argue about how you get it, and we need SOMETHING. But, at the same time, you have to make sure it is done right.
Just to recap. What I said before is "what the world needs now in Fort Washington is not another housing development." So I agree that more commercial development is needed -- not just in South County but in the County in general.

My overall point is that there is an active group in your area that is not pro-development. No, you don't want to build on wetlands; no you don't want to build by a road that is not designed to carry extra traffic. But you know what? The latter is done often in this county, and the developers need to help finance the widening of the road.

The problem is that those who are staunchly anti-development down there (and they have some good points) want the peaceful, semi-rural feel that they bought into years ago. So my guess is that you won't get much commercial development if things don't change down there. More stores mean more traffic, even more houses, etc. It's not just a matter of doing it right; an active, vocal group of people there don't want it done at all, IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2010, 12:59 PM

520 posts, read 816,272 times
Bowian, you are right. The mindset of the people have to change. Unfortunately, some people want change and development and some do not.

Agreed.

Old 10-22-2010, 08:57 AM

1 posts, read 1,760 times
Default Retail at the NH

Hi - I'm the owner of the store, SimplySoles, the shoe store you say is going to fail. I surely hope you are wrong. We have only been open a month, and we are actively re-merchandising the store to accommodate the interests of the community and store traffic. We've bought in more lower priced shoes, as well as many shoes on sale, so you will see the average price point going down.

We specialize in designer womens shoes, most of which are made in Italy and Spain. Of course our products are going to cost more than anything coming out of China and Charming Charlies. But I certainly see their appeal. I just believe in making investments in fashion, and if you invest in well-made shoes, they can last a lifetime.

So I hope we will prove to be a lasting retailer at the National Harbor that is well-regarded a local business supporting the community. We are doing a shoe drive next weekend, October 30th, so please join us if you can.

My thanks - Kassie Rempel, Owner/Founder of Designer Shoes by Missoni Tory Burch Taryn Rose Bettye Muller Delman and more

Old 10-22-2010, 09:44 AM

2,331 posts, read 3,691,544 times
After reading the ranting on here I have come to an understanding. The people in here wishing for the National arbor(or any other new Development in PG County) to Fail are not True Maryland Tax Paying Citizens. These people are more than likely pissed off Maryland Haters from Virginia that hates to think of any possibilities of Suburban Maryland out shinning Northern Virginia in Upscale Retail Development, Dense population of Hight Tech office buildings, and building Massive Highway Projects. I would not be a bit surprised that the powers that be in good ol' Virginia are endorsing Martin O'Malley because they know that O'Malley is doing Virginia a Favor by selling out Maryland Tax Payers by making it terribly difficult for New Businesses to relocate to Maryland and Preventing Upscale Retail Growth in Maryland due to O'Malley's Massive Tax Increase on Property, Developers, and supporting anti-Growth Extremist Groups which further pushes Maryland Tax Payers to work and shop in Virginia......

Old 10-22-2010, 11:13 AM

6,030 posts, read 6,528,564 times
Quote:
The people in here wishing for the National arbor(or any other new Development in PG County) to Fail are not True Maryland Tax Paying Citizens.
I know I haven't read every word of the thread but if someone WISHED NH or the stores there to fail -- I missed it. Quite the contrary from what I've seen.

Old 10-22-2010, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KassieR View Post
Hi - I'm the owner of the store, SimplySoles, the shoe store you say is going to fail. I surely hope you are wrong. We have only been open a month, and we are actively re-merchandising the store to accommodate the interests of the community and store traffic. We've bought in more lower priced shoes, as well as many shoes on sale, so you will see the average price point going down.

We specialize in designer womens shoes, most of which are made in Italy and Spain. Of course our products are going to cost more than anything coming out of China and Charming Charlies. But I certainly see their appeal. I just believe in making investments in fashion, and if you invest in well-made shoes, they can last a lifetime.

So I hope we will prove to be a lasting retailer at the National Harbor that is well-regarded a local business supporting the community. We are doing a shoe drive next weekend, October 30th, so please join us if you can.

My thanks - Kassie Rempel, Owner/Founder of Designer Shoes by Missoni Tory Burch Taryn Rose Bettye Muller Delman and more
Thanks, Kassie Rempel, Owner/Founder, I am very glad that a business from the National Harbor has responded to this thread. For clarification, I did not say the business was going to fail, although I am leaning towards that opinion due to market factors, demographics, and other factors, but that was the speculation of another source. I hope you succeed as I am a believer in high-end, middle, and low-end fashion (well, not low-end for the Harbor, just in general). However, I believe all businesses need complimentary businesses. And, if there was an outstanding fashion store that can create a brand for themselves in this area and get a loyal following that compliments your selection, then it helps you and vice versa.

Again, I think the market will dictate the future and direction of a lot of things. It was just my observation from the numerous times that I have been there and yesterday kind of supported my claim that these stores are going to have to come down, somewhat, on their price points to make it.

In fact, when my wife and I were in your store, she loved your shoes and handbags, but she said the Harbor does not have enough store selections, period, to make her want to drive there just for one store. People need numerous venues, and it appears to me, from what I saw yesterday, that the direction of most vendors is changing for the better.

I wish you the best and I want all the stores to succeed as this is my neighborhood and I feel as though I have a dog in this fight. So, I am going to promote your store up, SimplySoles, whenever I can. However, I will be honest in my opinion of price, quality, service, etc. I saw nothing wrong with your venue and am always willing to lend my perspective - for whatever it is worth - whether it be to mobilize focus groups or to give free promotion.

Again, thank you for responding. It is retailers like you (that listen to the people and adjust and/or diversify without sacrificing quality) that will be in it for the long term and will be very successful, too. I am pulling for you!!!

Old 10-22-2010, 12:55 PM

24 posts, read 47,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
I know I haven't read every word of the thread but if someone WISHED NH or the stores there to fail -- I missed it. Quite the contrary from what I've seen.
Thank you for pointing this out because people are not reading, they're missing key points, and making this whole thread into a "we hate the NH" thread, which isn't what the OP intended.

The OP (and some others) stated early on that they are, in fact, Maryland residents who are paying a lot of hard-earned tax dollars to the state, only to be ignored in various ways (amenities, schools, etc.).

I know that no one on here wants to see businesses fail (nor was that stated). The point of this entire thread is to get people's opinions of the NH, to make the observation that it currently isn't serving the needs of the surrounding communities, and to get a discussion going as to what improvements can be made.

Old 10-22-2010, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
After reading the ranting on here I have come to an understanding. The people in here wishing for the National arbor(or any other new Development in PG County) to Fail are not True Maryland Tax Paying Citizens. These people are more than likely pissed off Maryland Haters from Virginia that hates to think of any possibilities of Suburban Maryland out shinning Northern Virginia in Upscale Retail Development, Dense population of Hight Tech office buildings, and building Massive Highway Projects. I would not be a bit surprised that the powers that be in good ol' Virginia are endorsing Martin O'Malley because they know that O'Malley is doing Virginia a Favor by selling out Maryland Tax Payers by making it terribly difficult for New Businesses to relocate to Maryland and Preventing Upscale Retail Growth in Maryland due to O'Malley's Massive Tax Increase on Property, Developers, and supporting anti-Growth Extremist Groups which further pushes Maryland Tax Payers to work and shop in Virginia......
I have to go with my buddy selhars on this one. I do not believe anyone wished for the National Harbor to fail. I'd be a fool to do that as it would DEFINITELY mean that I have to travel 20-30 mins. to shop. In fact, groupthink is evil...too much cohesion is evil. If we just stroke each other all day long with accolades without pointing out some critical, yet realistic, shortcomings, then we can never become the best we can be.

I am sorry that you feel this way. But, I will not back off of my position. The County is starting to explode with development. And, with each new development means potential competition. You have to set yourself out from the rest. They do have a high-end, boutique-ish, fancy niche, but you also have to obey your marketing laws. I will not support something or someone because they are black, a native Marylander, or because they are even my relative if they are in the wrong. I admit, a lot of my posts could have been a lot more professional, and less whiney/complain-y, but I let my emotions get the best of me. I guess me and the owner of the Cleveland Cavaliers have that in common.

But, if you read all of the posts in this thread, you will see they progressively get more civilized; and, you will also see that I am moving further to the right as I believe the National Harbor will improve as the economy recovers.

Old 10-22-2010, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithcl1 View Post
Thank you for pointing this out because people are not reading, they're missing key points, and making this whole thread into a "we hate the NH" thread, which isn't what the OP intended.

The OP (and some others) stated early on that they are, in fact, Maryland residents who are paying a lot of hard-earned tax dollars to the state, only to be ignored in various ways (amenities, schools, etc.).

I know that no one on here wants to see businesses fail (nor was that stated). The point of this entire thread is to get people's opinions of the NH, to make the observation that it currently isn't serving the needs of the surrounding communities, and to get a discussion going as to what improvements can be made.
OUTSTANDING, smithcl1. I know it is a lot to read, but people please read and try to understand what the poster is trying to convey.

Old 10-24-2010, 10:35 PM

692 posts, read 1,538,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KassieR View Post

No stores at National Harbor has closed its doors since the development opened. I love shopping at the farmer's market on Saturday mornings. I enjoy the galleries and buying gelato or ben and jerry's ice cream. NH is a long way from being completed. But I like the direction it's headed in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland