U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 10:41 PM

16 posts, read 43,139 times

Advertisements

My family of 3 (30 something's with a two year old) are considering relocating to the DC area for my husband's job in metro DC. We are hoping to gain a better quality of life and improve our cost of living from where we currently live in our converted 1 BR in Brooklyn.

Our priorities are safe neighborhoods with good schools, affordable 2BR - $1400 rental or $200,000 condo/home, city-like walkable community, and an hour or so commute by mass transit.

I was thinking the suburbs of Baltimore (Towson) but DH is looking to be closer to DC. Any info about towns in MD or maybe NOVA that might meet our priorities would be greatly appreciated. I'd be happier to give more information if it would help with giving us some advice.

thanks,
Christine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2010, 09:21 AM

1,261 posts, read 1,653,446 times
Metro DC covers a very large area. Commute times are horrendous here and would dictate any advice about where to live. Can you be more specific?

Old 10-20-2010, 09:33 AM

Well, I was just looking at Germantown schools, rentals and house prices this morning. That seems to be more in our price range and the schools seem slightly above average. Do you know anything about Germantown: commute to DC, community and diversity, close to mall shopping? Any specifics would be helpful.

Old 10-20-2010, 09:55 AM

Just read some posts that crime in Germantown is on the rise. Which areas should we stay away from? Someone even said they were leaving becuase it wasn't safe for their family anymore. I have a child and this is a big concern for me.

Old 10-20-2010, 04:03 PM

789 posts, read 2,229,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjlg620 View Post
Just read some posts that crime in Germantown is on the rise. Which areas should we stay away from? Someone even said they were leaving becuase it wasn't safe for their family anymore. I have a child and this is a big concern for me.
I use to live in Queens and very familiar with Bklyn, if one can live in Bklyn, Germantown would be childs play.

Jump in the water is fine, Germantown is great place to raise a family....but first RENT, get to know the area and then buy.

Old 10-20-2010, 08:40 PM

Thanks for your advice Tonyc. Love your attitude about BK to MD.

Old 10-20-2010, 09:34 PM

2,270 posts, read 8,108,323 times
Where exactly will your husband be working? When you say "metro DC" do you mean he is working in a suburb or that he is working in downtown DC? Commute is a big deal here, and public transit options are limited. That should drive your decision.

Old 10-20-2010, 10:29 PM

J_Lurk, unfortunately we are not exactly sure where his work location will be. But we think it will be in downtown DC. Coming from NYC where the subway is always running, it's frustrating that the metro and marc are so limited. We have one car and DH will have to/want to use transit into DC. In most locations should DH expect to take Bus to Metro Station and vice versa every trip? I've been researching Takoma Park, Silver Spring, and Rockville. Those areas seem to be more affordable, closer to DC and decent schools. Do you have any thoughts on these areas?
Silver Spring seems to be so large. Any suggestions on what parts to focus on?
Thanks.
cjlg

Old 10-21-2010, 02:24 PM

805 posts, read 1,560,208 times
In Germantown to work in downtown DC add 30-45 minutes (try and be near a ride-on bus stop) to get from the bus, then another 30-40 minutes to get to the station in DC.

Alternatively you could use the MARC train straight into Union Station, but you'll still have to drive and park at the garage. If you use MARC, the last one out of DC is at 7:15, and also in the morning it's 10-15 minutes late about half the time.

Old 10-21-2010, 04:56 PM

5 posts, read 10,088 times
If I can give you some advice--you should think about checking out the schools in these areas before you move here. That would give you a sense of the area. Also, look at the houses for rent...you can get a great value in Rockville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland