U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2010, 02:30 PM

143 posts, read 378,527 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Bowie, MD. My kids attend a great preschool that I love. The problem is for both my kids daycare is about 1500 a month, and thats with the youngest going to a home daycare. I just can afford it any longer. We're considering my husband working part time, and the kids staying home with him during the day. My question is, do you know of any day activities, or where I can find out about day activities where he can take them weekly for cheap or free, so that they can still have interaction with other kids? My kids are 2 and 4. We're open to activities in DC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2010, 11:26 AM

433 posts, read 932,154 times
Hi there -

I see you posted this a while ago, but I hope you subscribed so you can see my response.

You may also want to post this question on PG Parents, which is a yahoo group for PG County. pgparents : PG Parents

When I was a full-time SAHM, I did a gigantic list of all the cheap/free things to do. I would list out the events by month and then plan around them. Only on days when there were no free events would I succumb to paying for things like the play places, open gyms, etc.

The two biggest sources for me were the libraries; the nature centers of PG Parks&Rec; and the community centers at PG Parks&Rec.

Some of the church based and co-op pre-schools are pretty affordable. I only know of the ones in the College Park/Hyattsville area, but I would imagine that there are some in Bowie as well.

I also started a couple different playgroups - I just put up flyers in businesses around my neighborhood, posted on a couple listservs, and handed flyers to people with strollers (or small kids) in the grocery store or Target. Most people were THRILLED to meet other SAHM parents.

Good luck to you and your husband in wading through this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland