Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 12:41 PM

10,597 posts, read 12,037,424 times

Advertisements

This is about the Woodmore Town Center in General.

I live in Bowie and have never shopped toward the Woodmore, Largo direction. One ate night I stumbled across a medium-sized shopping center that I think is at the 214/Enterprise intersection is that "Mitchellville Shopping Center" of something like that?"...(got on the wrong road coming home from DC one night, said Oh I didn't even know this was here. But I'e never of there) Anyway...

To be honest, I've always shopped in Anne Arundel County. Most of it has been a prejudice I guess. Which I don't apologize for -- but I do admit. I just perceived there were more, better, and different kinds of shopping experiences - for atmosphere and selection of stores. I suppose I should just get real and say, I'm just not going to shop in an area where mostly Black people shop.

(But also from where I am part of AA is closer, than Largo, or Adelphi or Hyattsville or other parts of PG.

I've been to the Borders in Largo ONCE and that was because neither Bowie nor Annapolis had what I wanted. It was my first time in that area. And it was 'nice enough' but still not impressive enough for me to shop in that area and not AA county.

I don't know if I'll ever regularly shop in the Largo area, but I am curious at the Woodmore Town Center.
A couple of questions:
- exactly which stores are there or are coming?
- I take it the Wegmans is still as crowded as ever, and will likely stay that way. Do you ever see it tapering off?

Also is there anyone else out there who shops in AA County instead of PG -- if so why?

I'll got to Annapolis, Gambrils, Odenton, Columbia and Marley's Station as well -- before I even think about the Largo area. It's jut not on my radar. Heck I make a day of it and go to ROCKVILLE, before I go to Largo. (To be fair some stores are only IN those locations. IF you want the Container Store or G Street Fabrics you HAVE to go to Rockville, or if you want Ollie's Discount store you have to go where they are.)

Do you think the Woodmore Town Center will draw people from Bowie? To be honest I'm thinking likely not. There's just no reason for us to come over that way, unless we work over there or commute by there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2010, 01:59 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,938,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post

I live in Bowie and have never shopped toward the Woodmore, Largo direction. One ate night I stumbled across a medium-sized shopping center that I think is at the 214/Enterprise intersection is that "Mitchellville Shopping Center" of something like that?"...(got on the wrong road coming home from DC one night, said Oh I didn't even know this was here. But I'e never of there) Anyway...

To be honest, I've always shopped in Anne Arundel County. Most of it has been a prejudice I guess. Which I don't apologize for -- but I do admit. I just perceived there were more, better, and different kinds of shopping experiences - for atmosphere and selection of stores. I suppose I should just get real and say, I'm just not going to shop in an area where mostly Black people shop.

(But also from where I am part of AA is closer, than Largo, or Adelphi or Hyattsville or other parts of PG.

I've been to the Borders in Largo ONCE and that was because neither Bowie nor Annapolis had what I wanted. It was my first time in that area. And it was 'nice enough' but still not impressive enough for me to shop in that area and not AA county.

I don't know if I'll ever regularly shop in the Largo area, but I am curious at the Woodmore Town Center.
A couple of questions:
- I take it the Wegmans is still as crowded as ever, and will likely stay that way. Do you ever see it tapering off?

Also is there anyone else out there who shops in AA County instead of PG -- if so why?

I'll got to Annapolis, Gambrils, Odenton, Columbia and Marley's Station as well -- before I even think about the Largo area. It's jut not on my radar. Heck I make a day of it and go to ROCKVILLE, before I go to Largo. (To be fair some stores are only IN those locations. IF you want the Container Store or G Street Fabrics you HAVE to go to Rockville, or if you want Ollie's Discount store you have to go where they are.)

Do you think the Woodmore Town Center will draw people from Bowie? To be honest I'm thinking likely not. There's just no reason for us to come over that way, unless we work over there or commute by there.
Let me start off by saying I completely understand how you feel. I, myself, find it much better to shop in a different area than where fellow blacks shop. I just see the difference in customer service immediately. I don't believe people should be able to talk down to me especially when I pay my hard earned money, I also don't tolerate seeing a store that doesn't stay stocked, only have 3 service lanes open during the stores busiest times, and leaving the customers to run outside to get a cart instead of having competent employees bring them in when the stores doesn't have anymore inside. Those are the reasons why I prefer to shop in VA as opposed to PG, but now we shop at Wegmans. I digress.

I've been to the shopping center that you are referring to (I believe you're referring to the one with a Food Lion, not the one with the Safeway). I definitely believe the shopping experience is different here because of what's in the shopping center. I make a joke with my wife all the time about this county's shopping centers because all of them seem to have a lot of the same stores: a cleaners, a chinese food store (more than likely sells fried chicken), a liquor store, and a beauty supply store. If I went down the list of every shopping center in this county that has at least 3 of those things, I would name most of the shopping centers here. In other areas, you see a little more diversity. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with having a cleaners, but do we really need it in EVERY shopping center. Even where I grew up in Accokeek, we have exactly two shopping centers and they both have a beauty supply store, chinese food carry out, and a cleaners. Why would you have two shopping centers that have the exact same thing. That's not smart development. Other areas tend to bring variety that compliments one another instead of putting the same 5 stores in every shopping center. When you go to Rockville on Rockville Pike, you will see Bagel shops, bakeries, nice sandwich shops, and other small shops that are unique to that region.

With that said, I do see a little difference in the new Woodmore Towne Center. The stores are going to be: Wegmans,Costco, Best Buy, JcPenney, Petco, PNC Bank, Sleepy's Mattress, T-mobile, Noodles and Co., Subway, Hour Eyes, Woodmore Wine, Irie Café, Centre Cleaners, and some other shops. It seems they are trying to get a little more variety (Oh my goodness, they are going to have Noodles & Company!), but it still looks the same. But Wegman's is the one part that is going to draw people because a) there is only 2 in the state, b) it is an upscale grocer, and c) it attracts a diverse crowd of people from other areas. When you go to Wegmans, you don't see just black people, you see every race you can possibly think of, even the staff that works there is very diverse. So I think as long as Wegmans holds up that shopping center will remain a destination. And as long as no major crime occurs around there, Wegmans will bring in business and remain popular.

Old 11-26-2010, 02:29 PM

692 posts, read 1,728,578 times
"To be honest, I've always shopped in Anne Arundel County. Most of it has been a prejudice I guess. Which I don't apologize for -- but I do admit. I just perceived there were more, better, and different kinds of shopping experiences - for atmosphere and selection of stores. I suppose I should just get real and say, I'm just not going to shop in an area where mostly Black people shop."

I found this statement so sad. I've received good, great, average, and lousy/poor customer service both in the communities I've lived in and in areas outside of them.

Is the customer service you receive that different or is it your perception of the people providing the service that's different?

Old 11-26-2010, 03:48 PM

1,831 posts, read 4,424,133 times
Speaking of customer service, here's a funny for you:

I pulled up to a drive-thru at a McDonald's and began placing my order. The girl taking says "what else?" I thought by the way she was saying it that she missed the last item so I repeated it. Then Miss Customer Service snaps, "I HEARD YOU! What else?"

"Excuse me?!" I said slowly, voiced raised. I figured I'd give the girl time to get her funky attitude together and come correct. But noooo.

"Excuse ME!!" She snapped, and told me my total. She was lucky she wasn't at the window when I pulled up. I asked for the manager and gave him a piece of my mind.

Guess where that McDonald's was located? In Annapolis, across from the Annapolis Mall.

I've received some poor customer service in PG, and my BS tolerance is pretty low. But that example above was the worst I received in a long time.

By the way, I really don't like the looks of Mitchellville Plaza, so I get in and get out, mainly for food.

Old 11-26-2010, 04:46 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,938,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowian View Post
Speaking of customer service, here's a funny for you:

I pulled up to a drive-thru at a McDonald's and began placing my order. The girl taking says "what else?" I thought by the way she was saying it that she missed the last item so I repeated it. Then Miss Customer Service snaps, "I HEARD YOU! What else?"

"Excuse me?!" I said slowly, voiced raised. I figured I'd give the girl time to get her funky attitude together and come correct. But noooo.

"Excuse ME!!" She snapped, and told me my total. She was lucky she wasn't at the window when I pulled up. I asked for the manager and gave him a piece of my mind.

Guess where that McDonald's was located? In Annapolis, across from the Annapolis Mall.

I've received some poor customer service in PG, and my BS tolerance is pretty low. But that example above was the worst I received in a long time.

By the way, I really don't like the looks of Mitchellville Plaza, so I get in and get out, mainly for food.
Yeah if that happened to me, I probably wouldn't have handled it as well as you did. I like the mall but overall it is just something about most of Annapolis that rubs me the wrong way. I can tell you that it unfortunately has a lot to do with the area these establishments are in. From my experience, I think customer service comes down to what people who frequent these places are willing to accept. I absolutely refuse to patronize businesses that either continually treat their customers poorly and refuse to make a commitment to change. Why should I continue to give you my money if you aren't giving me the service that you have promised as a result of what I pay for. If more people tolerated less I think we would see a change. That's why I think people are going to Wegmans as opposed to Giant or Safeway. Giant and Safeway have had a history of taking their customers for granted and now they are getting beat by new competition. Most people in other counties don't even shop at those places for that reason. Unfortunately it seems that you generally have better experiences in other counties than here, but I don't believe that is always the case, but its enough to push people away.

Old 12-01-2010, 07:41 AM

6,321 posts, read 10,278,675 times
I go to grocery stores as part of my job, so I've been to a lot of them in the area. I actually haven't been to this Wegmans yet (plan to soon), but I've been to several others. They're always clean and have pretty good prices, but I'm definitely not a fan of the crowds (but then again, people don't shop at Walmart to avoid the crowds). However, the layout is somewhat odd in my opinion, and the lighting makes it almost seem dark in there. But my favorite part about Wegmans is the subs. I'm originally from NJ where they know how to make subs (AKA hoagies), and the ones from Wegmans are great.

That said, Wegmans are really nice stores, but I don't know if I'd drive over 20 minutes just to shop at one as many people do...

As far as this shopping center is concerned, and I'm not 100% familiar with the immediate area, but I would point the critics to the Hunt Valley Town Center, which was struggling before the Wegmans came and now draws customers from all over. The fact that the Woodmoore Shopping Center will have both a Wegmans AND a Costco (another store that draws people from all over) makes me think that there's no way this place can fail. I don't think I've ever seen a Costco and a Wegman's in the same shopping center (some of the ones in VA are close by, but not in the same shopping center).

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatkins View Post
That place is GRRR-EEAATTT!!! My wife really didn't want to go, but I showed her the weekly ad and she saw how much cheaper the products were so she said okay let's give it a shot. By the time we got to the line, she was saying we need to come here for now on. I mean this place was on point. It was crowded but they had all the cash registers open so the lines moved quickly. The bakery, the seafood department, sushi bar, everything looked great. I actually ended up getting some muffins from the bakery (I'm big on the bakery stuff), and the muffins were really good!!! We were just amazed at the prices, the selection and the overall experience. Giant, Safeway and Shoppers are not going to survive as long as they keep building Wegmans.
I think that depends on how many more Wegmans they build. The ones they do build will certainly clean up in their immediate areas (I went to a Shoppers in Fredericksburg VA that was right down the road from a recently opened Wegmans and it was like a ghost town in there, and I even noticed the Safeway in Landover Hills by 295/Annapolis Rd. already closed but not sure if Wegmans had anything to do with that). But how much Wegmans effects the other chains as a whole depends on how aggressive they are with their expansion. Right now there are only 2 in all of MD and 6 in VA, and 69 total in 3 other states (mostly NY). Giant and Safeway on the other hand have over 300 stores between them just in Baltimore/Washington. They would probably rather close a few stores than have to change their whole philosophy. And Safeway is a national chain so they might even duck out of the market all together (which I guess would equate to them not surviving) if Wegmans keeps expanding.

But according to Wegman's website, they're already planning to build 5 more in MD (Bel Air, Columbia, Crofton, Frederick and Germantown) and 1 more in VA (Alexandria) in the near future (I drove by the Frederick one and it looks to be not too far away from completion), so I guess we'll just have to see what happens.

Old 12-01-2010, 04:20 PM

2,567 posts, read 4,618,480 times
Default boredatwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post

A couple of questions:

What?!?!.....will wegmans draw ppl from Bowie??? 711 alone will draw ppl from bowie!!!this isnt a classism elitist prejudice area I think you and a handful of your Bowie residents are living in that world by yourself..

Old 12-01-2010, 11:53 PM

10,597 posts, read 12,037,424 times
Quote:
What?!?!.....will wegmans draw ppl from Bowie??? 711 alone will draw ppl from bowie!!!this isnt a classism elitist prejudice area I think you and a handful of your Bowie residents are living in that world by yourself..
1) (only partially kidding) Well, Bowie isn't listed as one of the top -- if not the the top place to live in PG for nothing.

But seriously, what I mean by "would the Wegmans draw people from Bowie" was -- DISTANCE WISE did posters think people would drive from Bowie over to Largo to grocery shop?

I LOVE all the Wegmans I've ever been to. But I'm not driving all the way there for a supermarket. Not that it's 20 miles anything like that, I'm just curious as to whether people though Bowians would make a special trip there for just that store. If they put a Wegman's in Crofton -- I'm there! (OR how far away they think the sotre will draw from in general)

I live in the part of Bowie that's close to AA county -- as opposed to the Mitchellville area which is a bit closer to Woodmore Town Center. But in my earlier post I also said I'll go further away than that when I go shopping in AAC. (I regularly go to Annapolis, Gambrils, Severna Park, etc) So I readily confess I have a prejudice against doing much of my shopping in PG. When I moved to Bowie AA County had more of the shopping I was looking for so I've just gotten used to going that direction -- as opposed to toward Largo.

For example if the Bowie Borders doesn't have a book I want, I''ll go to the one in Annapolis before I'd even THINK about going to the one in Largo. That area is just not one my radar for shopping.

(As an aside it would be nice if people would ask for clarification about what a person means by their comments, before reacting to what it's assumed they mean.)

Old 12-02-2010, 12:26 PM

3 posts, read 14,620 times
Wow! This should be exciting. The more Wegmans the better. They are an awesome grocery chain. Tai Smallwood

Old 01-18-2011, 07:35 PM

77 posts, read 293,313 times
To Khemistry:
As an employee of Wegmans, I am sad to say that it is not only against policy, but also very harmful for our company for you to post pictures of our store. Exterior shots are generally fine, but interior are a big offense. I'm surprised no manager asked you to not take pictures as this is a policy our company feels very strongly about. I would appreciate it if you would kindly take down your interior shots from this forum and keep them to yourself. Thank You and Enjoy shopping at Wegmans! EVERY DAY YOU GET OUR BEST!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland