U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2010, 03:02 PM

54 posts, read 114,921 times

Advertisements

Hello,some may have seen recent posts from me some may not but in my on-going invistigation of wanting to relocate my family I have a final choice and I am more then certain that I want to relocate to laurel,I am 26 yr old mother of 3 small children ages 6 and 3 and I was born and raised in washington,dc where I've lived all my life.I am currently a stay at home mom but will be searching for employment and looking to further my career. I specialize in the security field. I was just sort of hoping to get a good feedback and a few questions answered about living in laurel. 1.is it expesive,I have a section 8 voucher and I prefer a 3 bedroom town house,2.elementary schools,3.activities for kids and family and finally where's the most urban place to live in laurel?
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2010, 03:19 PM

1,463 posts, read 5,540,816 times
Laurel is safe....you might have a small pocket that's questionable...but for the most part it's safe...

Old 11-01-2010, 09:27 AM

1,245 posts, read 3,331,568 times
Laurel is not urban at all. There is no "downtown" area. There is only the historic little Main Street. Most of Laurel is residential with strip malls. There is no major business center. I live in Laurel and happen to like it. I'm in the historic area which is relatively safe. Some of the larger apartment complexes have not so good reputations but when you narrow down your search come back here for feedback on the places you have found.

Most of the elementary schools in Laurel are good. Both of my kids attended them. There are all kinds of activities for families and children -- sports leagues, library, yearly festivals, etc. Laurel has an abundance of Townhome communities (from brand new to over 30 years old). If you are from the DC area then you are familiar with rental prices and Laurel is fairly cheap compared to closer in areas to DC.

Old 11-01-2010, 07:26 PM

Ok that was some usefull info thank you yes I was born raised and currently reside in dc I have done some research and I want to live in the laurel region that anne arundel county serves. I called around today and I got very helpful and good news so I am very much looking forward to living there I will be moving in march when my current lease up right at this moment I am a stay at home mom but I am seeking employment now I have a interview Monday,I do have a reacurring monthly income and I receive a section 8 certificate so with this being said can you guys refresh your advice and tell me will I benefit from laurel as far as living somewhere cleaner,safer,nicer,and better than dc? Again thank you for your time I appreciate it.

Old 11-01-2010, 07:35 PM

O and all tho its not urban I can sacrifise that after living in dc all my life so that's give or take its fine as long as I have things I can do with my kids.

Old 11-02-2010, 08:19 AM

1,245 posts, read 3,331,568 times
Sounds like Laurel might be a good fit for you. I'll assume it is "safe" compared to parts of DC. Most of your shopping needs can be found there. They also have public transportation if you need it. Good luck to you and your kids in your relocation.

Old 11-02-2010, 09:17 AM

12,553 posts, read 18,921,472 times
Laurel is a nice place. If you need an urban fix, then DC (and Baltimore too) is not too far away.

Old 02-19-2011, 11:03 AM

60 posts, read 135,835 times
Check out my thoughts here:
22-yr old new to MD, job offer in Laurel, where to live?

Laurel is NOT urban, and as you can see it has four different counties attached to it, so it's a great hub. However, looking at Anne Arundel means you're looking at the most rural part of it. You're probably looking at the Russett community, where I lived before as well, and it's a good area, but not rural at all. Lots of townhomes.

If you want a more walkable area, my favorite place is actually Laurel Lakes. It's more central to the rest of the places in Laurel, and very family friendly. You can walk to the grocery store, walk to a few shopping stores and eateries, but also walk/jog around the lake. It's great, and preferable to Russett--unless you can afford one of their newer homes there. You could also take the MARC train down to union station if you had a job in DC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland