U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 10:31 AM

999 posts, read 1,674,359 times

Advertisements

Yeah, I like living in MontCo as well. I prefer hanging out in the Silver Spring-Takoma Park where the diversity and progressive politics is much stronger than any other part of the county. When I mean diversity, I am referring to socio-economic diversity in addition to the racial mosaic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2010, 04:18 PM

78 posts, read 103,746 times
Yeah, I love it. Insane real estate prices, even after the crash. High real estate taxes. One of the most expensive places to live.

New energy taxes.

Traffic congestion.

Far leftist politics. Most of the country went "red" but MOCO consistently votes 75% "blue".

The icing on the cake is the new red lite and speeding cameras, which are everywhere. They just doubled their number. "1984" would be proud.

Old 11-08-2010, 07:47 PM

15,720 posts, read 34,841,252 times
I've always wondered why the MD forums (Both MD and MD-DC Suburbs) have so few regular posters compared to the NOVA forums.

Old 11-08-2010, 08:43 PM

4,577 posts, read 7,657,402 times
The reason the normal MD forum is so delsolate is that the part of the state that isn't Baltimore or the DC suburbs is very sparsely populated and there aren't very many people that want to relocate there. Therefore, few questions get asked and there aren't many people to answer. That is why I lobbied months ago against separating out a DC suburbs forum. Spilt milk at this point.....

Old 11-08-2010, 09:03 PM

15,720 posts, read 34,841,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
The reason the normal MD forum is so delsolate is that the part of the state that isn't Baltimore or the DC suburbs is very sparsely populated and there aren't very many people that want to relocate there. Therefore, few questions get asked and there aren't many people to answer. That is why I lobbied months ago against separating out a DC suburbs forum. Spilt milk at this point.....
Yeah, I noticed that - the new forum.

However, the DC forum links to the general Maryland Forum, and NOT the MD-DC suburbs Forum. So people still post on both for DC-area questions.

Old 11-09-2010, 09:15 AM

884 posts, read 2,317,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I've always wondered why the MD forums (Both MD and MD-DC Suburbs) have so few regular posters compared to the NOVA forums.
Tiger,
As a regular CD poster I wonder this myself. I notice people in the more urban parts, they only come out when they want to attack-like the anti PG threads or complaining about something.

There is no regular flow of dialogue like you find in the NOVA sub forum. I wonder why that is all the time.

Old 11-09-2010, 11:00 AM

4,120 posts, read 3,710,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbluelandrover View Post
Tiger,
As a regular CD poster I wonder this myself. I notice people in the more urban parts, they only come out when they want to attack-like the anti PG threads or complaining about something.

There is no regular flow of dialogue like you find in the NOVA sub forum. I wonder why that is all the time.
This is true. Every time a new thread pops up, it's always complaining about something in Maryland. Half the time the person that started the thread doesnt even live in Maryland.

Old 11-11-2010, 12:24 AM

2,331 posts, read 3,700,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbluelandrover View Post
Tiger,

I can almost guarantee that the Maryland Haters that start the flaming anti-Maryland attack threads are either from Virginia or other states south of Virginia...

Case in point there was this miserable Maryland Hater that started Flaming attacks on Germantown/Gaithersburg over the summer while Glorifying how perfect life was living in Herndon, VA(which is definitely no better than Gaithersburg/Germantown) and that character was from Mississippi.........

Old 11-11-2010, 12:30 AM

2,331 posts, read 3,700,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
This is true. Every time a new thread pops up, it's always complaining about something in Maryland. Half the time the person that started the thread doesnt even live in Maryland.
Half the people???????????

More like 90% of them are more than likely not Maryland Tax Payers........

And I keep having this impression that most of the Maryland haters are from the South........

Just look at the City vs City and General Threads and see the many topics(such as Why do some people consider Maryland/DC in the South?) that have Several people from the south Outright Deny Maryland as a Southern State but will Include Texas as a Southern State when it is really a Southwestern State............

Old 11-11-2010, 09:45 PM

202 posts, read 279,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjg66 View Post
Well, to each his own. I am happy (sincerely) that you have found your suburban paradise in Montgomery County. There are indeed many great things about the county.

I lived there for nearly 35 years, and while most of that time I liked it, during the last 5 years or so things got so bad that I couldn't wait to get out. That "progressive attitude toward housing low-income residents" proved to be very negative for my neighborhood and my condo project (documented in other threads, so I won't go into it here).

And the county's policy of amnesty for illegal immigrants will prove to be costly. I trust you will not complain when the County Council (who seems to think everyone in the county is as wealthy as the folks in Bethesda and Potomac) raises taxes to pay for it.

Maybe if I were more wealthy and could afford to live in a neighborhood that was not deteriorating I might have stayed.

Believe it or not, I am quite liberal on social issues. But Montgomery County carries this liberal thing too far. Just my opinion of course, and I respect those who feel differently.

I agree with everything youu said 100%. Montgomery county council believes that EVERYONE living in the county is a millionaire. So happy I left that part of the country! The area has truly gone downhill over the past 10 years. Howard county is becoming the new montgomery county
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland