U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 09:28 PM

841 posts, read 1,404,032 times

Advertisements

Having lived in and visited many metropolitan suburban counties, I have to say that Montgomery County, Maryland is by-far my favorite. I feel like if Manhattan were to have a suburban cousin, it would be Montgomery County, MD. Montgomery County has pretty much everything that one seeking a cosmopolitan "vibe" wants: diverse population with a lot of immigrants (almost minority-majority over 30% foreign-born), wealthy (8th wealthiest county in the United States by Median Household Income), educated (possibly the U.S. county with the highest proportion of Graduate degrees), lots of public transit (county has its own bus system with 80 routes-namely, RideOn; 13 Red Line metrorail stations with Transit-Oriented or Transit-proximal development around many of them; 1 line of the MARC system; many Metrobus routes, some of which are heavily used), highly regarded public schools (Wootton, Whitman, Churchill, Bethesda-Chevy Chase, and Walter Johnson are all very highly raanked and the caliber of Blair's magnet students is on par with that at Thomas Jefferson), upscale shopping (multiple Lord and Taylors and mutliple Bloomingdales; high fashion district in Chevy Chase with stores such as Neiman Marcus and SAKS), farmers markets, and a progressive attitude toward housing low-income residents.

I'm CONVINCED that Montgomery County, Maryland is certainly Manhattan's suburban cousin (even more so than nearby Westchester County). According to the Daily Caller, Moco is America's most liberal-friendly suburban county, and the 2nd most liberal friendly county (after the City/County of San Francisco). America’s top 20 most liberal-friendly counties | The Daily Caller - Breaking News, Opinion, Research, and Entertainment

Of course, just like Manhattan, Montgomery county has attributes that people view as cons such as heavy traffic, high cost of living, poverty in certain areas, and a general very fast-pace of life. I still think that these qualities make Montgomery County as the most cosmopolitan suburban county in America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2010, 12:57 AM

182 posts, read 311,824 times
Well, to each his own. I am happy (sincerely) that you have found your suburban paradise in Montgomery County. There are indeed many great things about the county.

I lived there for nearly 35 years, and while most of that time I liked it, during the last 5 years or so things got so bad that I couldn't wait to get out. That "progressive attitude toward housing low-income residents" proved to be very negative for my neighborhood and my condo project (documented in other threads, so I won't go into it here).

And the county's policy of amnesty for illegal immigrants will prove to be costly. I trust you will not complain when the County Council (who seems to think everyone in the county is as wealthy as the folks in Bethesda and Potomac) raises taxes to pay for it.

Maybe if I were more wealthy and could afford to live in a neighborhood that was not deteriorating I might have stayed.

Believe it or not, I am quite liberal on social issues. But Montgomery County carries this liberal thing too far. Just my opinion of course, and I respect those who feel differently.

Old 11-01-2010, 01:40 AM

15,704 posts, read 34,731,780 times
Well, the positives listed seem to be associated with wealth, etc.

If a person has the wealth, and can live anywhere they want, then the best of the best is always the best.

Old 11-01-2010, 02:26 AM

Regardless of the positives/negatives, I strongly believe that Montgomery County, MD is Manhattan's suburban counterpart...highly educated population, huge AND varied immigrant presence, mix of old/new money, transit accessibility, very liberal population, high cost of living, presence of upscale shopping, presence of section 8 housing/rent control, strong jewish AND asian presence, largest asian group being the chinese, etc. all draw huge parallels to Manhattan. I can't think of any other suburban county that fits so well.

Old 11-01-2010, 02:29 AM

I've been to bergen, essex, hudson, union, morris and middlesex counties in north jersey; i've been to westchester, rockland, nassau and suffolk counties in suburban ny; i've been to alameda, contra costa, santa clara and alameda counties in the bay area. All of these lack at least some of the Manhattan-esque qualities that Montgomery County, MD posesses. An extremely transient population combined with a lack of blue collar whites is another important shared characteristic between Montgomery County and Manhattan.

Old 11-01-2010, 06:14 PM

175 posts, read 207,270 times
Too bad the same can't be said for its neighboring county Prince George's...

They have 15 metrorail stations and 2 MARC lines, but lack transit orientated development. The county's bus service is terrible as well...

Old 11-01-2010, 08:56 PM

very true, roth asher...i lived in pg (college park) when i attended umd...not as transit-friendly as where i now live in moco (rockville)

Old 11-03-2010, 06:01 AM

884 posts, read 2,313,185 times
Shout out to MOCO! LOL

When I first moved here 3yrs ago, I had no idea that the rivalry between PG/MOCO was so deeply ingrained. I've never lived anyplace where the nieghboring county had such bad blood. Funny thing is that I live on the East side and it feels more like PG than the wealthier west side of MOCO. The development on this side is coming but you definately notice that driving up New Hampshire VS driving up Rockville Pike is a totally different experience. Even in how the county landscapes, the street lights, and the way developments look. Then you have some of the low income apartments sitting right in the middle of middle/upper middle class neighborhoods.

Anywho, MOCO is ok. I hate driving to Rockville to shop, and I wish more shopping was available on my side of town.

Old 11-03-2010, 11:06 AM

I don't mind eastern Moco. I feel like Northwest PG county (College Park, Greenbelt, Laurel, Beltsville) is similar in demographics and development patterns to eastern Moco, but I can't say the same about the rest of PG. Eastern Moco and Northwest PG truly feel like gritty suburbs (not ghetto suburbs) that you'll find in parts of suburban LA and the Bay Area (esp. like San Leandro, Hayward, Union City, etc.).

Old 11-04-2010, 12:55 PM

175 posts, read 207,270 times
outside of the College Park, Berwyn Heights, Riverdale, Greenbelt, Laurel, Beltsville area, PG county is very southern and NIMBY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland