U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 08:01 PM

688 posts, read 1,025,400 times

Advertisements

We just signed a one year lease on an apt in Kentlands- hope it was an OK choice- we had to make a quick decision.

Anyone live there? What can we expect?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2010, 05:30 AM

789 posts, read 2,226,965 times
Good choice based on your quick decision. However get to know the area before buying, you can definetly get more for your $ than Kentlands, especially if your kids will be in private school.

Old 11-10-2010, 09:13 PM

Thanks- that is the plan...altho I'm not sure we can afford to buy ANYTHING in MoCo! Kids are grown. I'm wondering what day to day life is like in this little community- I telecommute so will spend a lot of time on my computer & phone looking out the window~ Dh will work in Rockville.

What do people do in the evenings through the winter? Do people get out much? Where can we meet other couples?

Thanks!

Old 11-11-2010, 09:45 AM

Should find some activies on these sites where you can meet folks. You will enjoy living there; it's a good location especially since work is so close and u TC...lol

Gazette.Net Maryland Community News
Kentlands - Home Page

Old 11-12-2010, 12:55 AM

thanks for the links...I am really apprehensive about this move-

Old 11-12-2010, 02:11 PM

90 posts, read 197,326 times
Don't worry. Kentlands/Lakelands is a great place to live. I moved here in August and I love it. I walk to my dentist, doctor, movies, restaurants, and the store. It is friendly, but may be a little harder to make friends if you don't join some activities. If you jog, there are several groups out jogging throughout the day and evening. There is an exercise group that meets in the mornings near the diner. I see people mingling at the local restaurants and coffee houses. There is at least one church and a synagogue located in the neighborhood. Arts Barn may have some activities that interest you.

It's true you can get more for your money elsewhere, but this is really a life style choice. I like being able to walk everywhere. My husband and I often spend an hour or so in the evenings walking through the neighborhood.

Old 11-12-2010, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonces07 View Post
Don't worry. Kentlands/Lakelands is a great place to live. I moved here in August and I love it. I walk to my dentist, doctor, movies, restaurants, and the store. It is friendly, but may be a little harder to make friends if you don't join some activities. If you jog, there are several groups out jogging throughout the day and evening. There is an exercise group that meets in the mornings near the diner. I see people mingling at the local restaurants and coffee houses. There is at least one church and a synagogue located in the neighborhood. Arts Barn may have some activities that interest you.

It's true you can get more for your money elsewhere, but this is really a life style choice. I like being able to walk everywhere. My husband and I often spend an hour or so in the evenings walking through the neighborhood.
Also if you're the workout types, join the Sport&Health club. One membership allows you to use both the facility at the Rio, and the one across from Lakeforest mall. The members at the LF mall one usually get together and do fun stuff such as attending dances at the Montgomery Village Golf Course etc......the over 50 crowd that is..

Old 11-13-2010, 01:35 AM

thanks! I must say that you have made me feel a little better- our last move was so...well...how do I say...OK, it was a total f'ng disaster. Just want it to be better this time.
Walkability is a major deal-maker. I was a "work-out type" for about 15 years straight- the whole Marathon runner thing...but our 2 1/2 years in Albany has put that to rest...dance? yes! walk the neighborhood? yes! (with our elderly dog) , coffee??? YES! food, YES YES! Arts Barn? oh yeah...lots of that.
Our "move-in" date is Dec. 1 which kinda crashes both TDay and Christmas, unfortunately. We "missed" both holidays last year, too- my dad was ill and passed away Dec. 27th 2009.
TaDa! well, well, a moment of self-discovery. Ya think that may be fueling the anxiety??

Old 11-13-2010, 05:27 PM

396 posts, read 929,161 times
Kentlands seems really nice and walkable--sometimes I go there to check out Whole Foods; there is also a movie theater and many restaurants. Have been to a couple of the sushi places there and they were pretty good.

Eastern Montgomery County (where I live!) really has almost nothing going on, unless you travel to downtown Silver Spring or go to the western side of MoCo or DC, so I think you made the best choice available...

Old 11-15-2010, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marska View Post
thanks! I must say that you have made me feel a little better- our last move was so...well...how do I say...OK, it was a total f'ng disaster. Just want it to be better this time.
Walkability is a major deal-maker. I was a "work-out type" for about 15 years straight- the whole Marathon runner thing...but our 2 1/2 years in Albany has put that to rest...dance? yes! walk the neighborhood? yes! (with our elderly dog) , coffee??? YES! food, YES YES! Arts Barn? oh yeah...lots of that.
Our "move-in" date is Dec. 1 which kinda crashes both TDay and Christmas, unfortunately. We "missed" both holidays last year, too- my dad was ill and passed away Dec. 27th 2009.
TaDa! well, well, a moment of self-discovery. Ya think that may be fueling the anxiety??
sounds like a match made in heaven... Sport & Health - Rio Sport & Health Club - Gaithersburg, Maryland (MD) (http://www.sportandhealth.com/club.aspx?id=454 - broken link) get a free pass and check out there zumba and ballroom class, you may enjoy it. Plus there's or use to be a runners club...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland