Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 11:49 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,190,678 times

Advertisements

What's up the with MARC lines?

I am looking at MARC vs VRE....and using Frederick versus Fredricksburg....as both are approximately 50 miles from DC itself. Both also take about 90 minutes by train.

MARC - Frederick - only 3 trains go to DC in the morning...about an hour apart?? From what I've read...those trains are jam packed as well. They don't see a need for more trains or more frequency? Only three trains going back out to Frederick placed about 1 hour 20 minutes apart to come back.

VRE - Fredericksburg. 11 trains go into DC in the morning...about 20 minutes apart!! 11 trains also go back out in the evening. Nearly 4 times the amount that goes back and forth from Frederick.

Is there any talk of increasing more trains or a better schedule with MARC and Frederick...?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2010, 12:14 AM

304 posts, read 713,811 times
MARC has three lines compared to VREs two. MARC also has a higher total daily ridership, than VRE. MARCs bread and butter service is its electrified "Penn Line" that shares the same tracks with Amtrak's Northeast Regional and Acela Express. In fact, ridership on the Penn Line is several times higher than the ridership on the other two lines, combined. MARC doesn't have a large amount of equipment to funnel around. And if MARC were suddenly able to acquire new railcars, you can be assured the majority would go on the Penn Line. I agree that service on MARCs Brunswick and Camden Lines are a joke, but there isn't much that can be done in MARCs situation. The Penn Line will always get priority. That's the only line you'll find 6-8 car bilevel trainsets. None of the other lines have all-bilevel trainsets, and the few you'll see only consist of maybe three bilevels, at the most. And MARC just purchased close to 20 new diesel engines, so I seriously doubt we'll be seeing any new railcars. MARC bought a few secondhand ex-Metra bilevels for the Brunswick Line, but it doesn't seem like they'll be acquiring any more.

Old 11-16-2010, 01:44 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,851,140 times
Frequency is supposed to be increased on both systems , it would be every 10-20 mins during peak hours , every 30-45mins off peak , and every hour on the weekends. VRE and MARC are ordering more fleet to prepare for this , it should be in place by 2015. If MARC and VRE already had this frequency in place they would have higher ridership , there current ridership numbers are weak at best.

Old 11-16-2010, 10:38 AM

15,431 posts, read 25,811,329 times
My understanding of this is that the tracks are shared with a railroadf company (forgot the name), which owns the tracks. To put on more trains they need the company to approve it. They also seem to need more train cars to add more. That is what I remember hearing but I'm fuzzy on the details.

Old 11-16-2010, 10:49 AM

866 posts, read 2,628,314 times
CSX owns the tracks, and there are already capacity issues.

Also, Frederick is on an extension of the Brunswick line. The other Brunswick line trains terminate in either Brunswick, MD or Martinsburg, WV.

Old 11-17-2010, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Frequency is supposed to be increased on both systems , it would be every 10-20 mins during peak hours , every 30-45mins off peak , and every hour on the weekends. VRE and MARC are ordering more fleet to prepare for this , it should be in place by 2015. If MARC and VRE already had this frequency in place they would have higher ridership , there current ridership numbers are weak at best.
Is that a future policy throughout the area? For both VRE and MARC?

VRE seems pretty close to it....I mean, in the 20-25 minute range anyways during peak hours. Much better than the 90-100 hour range during peak hours of MARC's Brunswick anyways.

Nontheless, very good news!

Old 11-18-2010, 06:52 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,514,699 times
it's not official policy, not by anymeans. There's a massive rail masterplan that was put together by a univeristy (I think) that NexisJersey quotes from often.

I too am wishful but that is not in the pipeline in the near future. Freight is still king on the Brunswick CSX tracks and CSX itself (which operates the Brunswick line as a contractor to the state) is trying to get out of the passenger business. There was only one bid on the contract so the MTA cancelled the solicitation for others.

Old 11-18-2010, 03:05 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,851,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Is that a future policy throughout the area? For both VRE and MARC?

VRE seems pretty close to it....I mean, in the 20-25 minute range anyways during peak hours. Much better than the 90-100 hour range during peak hours of MARC's Brunswick anyways.

Nontheless, very good news!
Its not the official its kinda on the side.....but you never know.....i do know it will be close to that with the growing populations and ridership.

Old 11-26-2011, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
Freight is still king on the Brunswick CSX tracks and CSX itself (which operates the Brunswick line as a contractor to the state) is trying to get out of the passenger business.
So there is a possibility that the Brunswick Line for commuters could be cancelled or dropped?

Did I read that right?

Old 11-26-2011, 10:40 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,691,376 times
I can't imagine the backlash from that... I figure MTA will take over the service and either jack up the fares or taxes to keep it going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland