Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 12:27 PM

17 posts, read 50,308 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are planning to relocate to the MD/DC/VA area next spring. We are trying to make a decision on where we want to live. We are an African American family.

My husband was born and raised in Los Angeles. I am originally from Detroit, but we will be moving to the area from California. I like Northern Virginia, but as a native Detroiter I must admit the Maryland suburbs are lot more attractive to me.

I have been researching homes in the area and discovered some nice homes in Clinton MD. The area seems somewhat rural which is attractive to me.

Trust me when I tell you I have read 80% of the PG County threads. I was checking the crime statistics for Clinton and they were very high in comparison to the rest of Maryland. So, is Clinton a nice safe area? Are there any schools in and around Clinton decent (we have a 3 year old)?

Why would an area with such nice homes and high income residents have such a large crime index? Is it all inflated hype due to crime in nearby areas or is Clinton really just an overpriced ghetto?

Please help me understand. I am very well aware of racial dynamics and how an area comprised of mostly African Americans can be considered bad even if that really isn't true. For example, Southfield MI is a predominately African American suburb outside of Detroit that constantly receives the ghetto horrible label despite the fact that most of the residents are high income, educated African Americans.

I would live in Southfield right now if I ever went back home, but the local media loves to bash it since most of the residents are affluent Blacks. Is this the case with Clinton and PG county in general?

Let's talk honestly about this. Being a Detroiter at heart you can probably imagine I am not shy, so give it to me honestly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2010, 01:18 PM

15,430 posts, read 25,807,497 times
My honest opinion, as a native Detroiter myself, is it's just like Southfield. The crime is there, but it is not like it is portrayed in the media, nor is it often like it is portrayed on C-D either. There are some bad places, but most of the county is nice. I think like this: PG=Wayne county, Montgomery = Macomb, and Fairfax = Oakland county. they're not the same as those counties, but just from a Detroit perspective it seems like that to me. Others probably see it differently.

Old 12-23-2010, 01:27 PM

8,629 posts, read 9,134,034 times
I'm a white guy who grew up in PG, near Clinton. All said and done it really is not a bad place to live. It is not a ghetto, the schools could be better, but maybe better than I think. Much of the area is relatively new construction and has seen sprawl mostly the past 25 years. I live in Northern Va. now and often visit family and friends in the Clinton area and never have issues now or 30 years ago for that matter.

Old 12-23-2010, 02:26 PM

1,831 posts, read 4,434,656 times
I agree with the above responses. I used to live in Rosaryville, not far from Clinton. I liked the newer SFH subdivisions off Woodyard Road and Surrattsville Road the best. I liked the laid-back, semi-rural feel of that whole area. I haven't heard much about crime in Clinton, but I think parents in much of South County should get more control over their teens.

Old 12-23-2010, 04:49 PM

72 posts, read 458,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotmama2009 View Post
My husband and I are planning to relocate to the MD/DC/VA area next spring. We are trying to make a decision on where we want to live. We are an African American family.

My husband was born and raised in Los Angeles. I am originally from Detroit, but we will be moving to the area from California. I like Northern Virginia, but as a native Detroiter I must admit the Maryland suburbs are lot more attractive to me.

I have been researching homes in the area and discovered some nice homes in Clinton MD. The area seems somewhat rural which is attractive to me.

Trust me when I tell you I have read 80% of the PG County threads. I was checking the crime statistics for Clinton and they were very high in comparison to the rest of Maryland. So, is Clinton a nice safe area? Are there any schools in and around Clinton decent (we have a 3 year old)?

Why would an area with such nice homes and high income residents have such a large crime index? Is it all inflated hype due to crime in nearby areas or is Clinton really just an overpriced ghetto?

Please help me understand. I am very well aware of racial dynamics and how an area comprised of mostly African Americans can be considered bad even if that really isn't true. For example, Southfield MI is a predominately African American suburb outside of Detroit that constantly receives the ghetto horrible label despite the fact that most of the residents are high income, educated African Americans.

I would live in Southfield right now if I ever went back home, but the local media loves to bash it since most of the residents are affluent Blacks. Is this the case with Clinton and PG county in general?

Let's talk honestly about this. Being a Detroiter at heart you can probably imagine I am not shy, so give it to me honestly.
I'm just here to post the Facts. I looked up the information you requested via the Census.gov website and found out the following.

The town of Clinton is located in District 9 of Prince George's County Maryland. The towns in District 9 are as follows;

District 9; Prince George's County; Maryland

Surratts
Rosaryville CDP
Clinton CDP
Camp Springs CDP
Friendly CDP
Andrews AFB CDP
Morningside town

The Median Income for Each of these areas is as follows;

Median Income

United States - $51,425
Maryland - 69,475
South Field MI -52,079

District 9 Prince George's County - $89,406

Surratts - $95,875
Rosaryville CDP - $93,605
Clinton CDP - $93,054
Camp Springs CDP - $86,543
Friendly CDP - $74,205
Andrews AFB CDP - $50,742
Morningside town -Nothing given

Median Income for Families

United States - $62,363
Maryland - $83,818
South Field MI - $67,135

District 9 Prince George's County - $98,203

Rosaryville CDP - $111,417
Surratts - $111,184
Clinton CDP - $100,859
Friendly CDP - $91,083
Camp Springs CDP - $89,796
Andrews AFB CDP - $51,836
Morningside town -Nothing given

Clinton CDP, Maryland - Fact Sheet - American FactFinder

Old 12-24-2010, 04:43 PM

845 posts, read 2,830,631 times
Hotmama, Where exactly will your job(s) be located ?

Old 12-26-2010, 10:49 AM

17 posts, read 50,308 times
Default Slowlane

My job will be in Manassas VA, but I will be telecommuting 80% of the time. My husband was supposed to work out of his companies Arlington office, but will actually be working in DC proper.

Old 12-26-2010, 03:39 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,983,093 times
Clinton is actually one of the nicer places in PG. There is indeed some crime there, but it is primarily near the Woodyard Crossing Shopping Center and near Cosca Park area. If you stay away from those areas you shouldn't have an issue at all. Of course, with most shopping centers, it's only natural Woodyard Crossing attracts crime here and there and also because it has the closest Walmart to SE DC (which will soon change because DC will have 4 of their own). As far as the schools, I agree jmking, they leave a lot to be desired. If you like the area you can always consider private schools if they are in your budget. Clinton Christian and Grace Brethren are two private schools in the area. Overall all pretty good place, but if you want better schools without giving up the rural feel, Upper Marlboro (which is next to Clinton) is a good choice too.

Old 12-26-2010, 06:40 PM

72 posts, read 458,964 times
Quote:

Hotmama, i was waiting to reserve judgment on this State until after i ran all the data, but thus far, it is extremely obvious good ole-fashion racism/class envy is predominately at work for much of the negative image attributed to Prince George's County. I'm pretty sure by the time i'm done posting all the data, it will be extremely obvious (which i was hoping would not be the case), that racism is the number 1 factor influencing people's opinion of this particular area in Maryland.

Here is another good example;

Just so you know what you're dealing with in MD/DC/VA

The Census Department recently published a 5 year study from 2005-2009 on the United States. Anyone can access the information. All the data I have posted on City-Data comes from this site. All the articles written in any major paper about wealth, housing values, race, education attainment, towns, cdp, cities, counties, and etc will come from ACS 2005-2009 study on Census.gov site.

The government does not make it easy for the "lay" person to navigate through the site to get the information, so many people rely on major publications (Washington Post, Washington Examiner, Newsweek, etc) to sum up the data and relay their findings to the public at large. Personally, I think if showed how to do this most people could navigate the site and find this information for themselves, but most are too lazy or extremely uninterested in doing the work it requires. (In comes me)

Anyway there was an article posted in the Washington Examiner Recently using this same data. Oddly enough the young women writing the article magically left out data from Prince George's County. Actually, she did one step better she magically forgot about any data involving Prince George's County up until it was convenient enough for her to leave it off of her list.

Having lived all around the country and gone to many sites that post data on their metro areas, this is the first and only place i have ever seen flat out dishonesty in posting these numbers. Please view for yourself. You be the judge, i just post the facts as they appear.

Both Articles are using data from 2005-2009 Census, but article (1) seems to purposely leave out a lot of information. Um, I wonder why?

(1)
MontCo has region's richest communities | Washington Examiner (http://washingtonexaminer.com/local/dc/2010/12/montco-has-regions-richest-communities#comments-header-anchor - broken link)

(2) Census Bureau releases new data on county communities

RACISM? OR AN HONEST MISTAKE?

PS - my larger point is don't trust anything anyone says to you about any area in the DC/Metro regardless if it's Prince George's County or Fairfax Virginia, because the chances they accurately know what they're talking about is probably extremely slim to none. Why? You cannot even trust the Washington media (amongst a number of things in Washington you cannot trust.) Factcheck everything!!! (even if it takes you a few hours remember "knowing is half the battle" lol)

Last edited by factcheckerdude; 12-26-2010 at 06:48 PM..

Old 12-30-2010, 11:54 AM

203 posts, read 278,728 times
Quote:
My job will be in Manassas VA, but I will be telecommuting 80% of the time. My husband was supposed to work out of his companies Arlington office, but will actually be working in DC proper.
The 20% of the time you will commute from Clinton to Manassas will be pure hell. I would try to find some place in NOVA in between DC and Manassas. It would make the commute easier for both of you. Public transport to DC is very limited in Clinton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland