U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 03:16 PM

2 posts, read 7,035 times
Default Tell me about Germantown

Is it realistic to get a house for under 500k in a safe area in Germantown? What neighborhoods should we focus on?

We're moving back to the area after many years away - it seems that the area has changed so much! Germantown is the middle point between our extended families and the area looks like it has a lot to offer our own family - good schools, the new arts center, and I hear the new library is really nice.

How long does the commute from Germantown to Bethesda Naval take these days?

Are there other areas worth considering? I've read good things about Poolesville, but I wonder how the public transportation is there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2007, 07:46 PM

1,463 posts, read 3,906,612 times
Great area and you should find something nice at that price range....Commute, maybe 20 minutes. Pretty close to each other....

Old 07-19-2007, 07:00 AM

55 posts, read 161,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy7fo View Post
Great area and you should find something nice at that price range....Commute, maybe 20 minutes. Pretty close to each other....
No way...I commute from Gaithersburg (exit 9) to downtown Bethesda and it takes around 40 - 45 minutes in the morning (I leave around 7:50). Depending on where in Germantown could set you back about 20 minutes or more depending on the time of day.

Germantown and Bethesda Naval around about 13 - 18 miles depending where in Germantown, so they are close, but it just depends on your work schedule

Last edited by jjp4; 07-19-2007 at 07:01 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 07-19-2007, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjp4 View Post
No way...I commute from Gaithersburg (exit 9) to downtown Bethesda and it takes around 40 - 45 minutes in the morning (I leave around 7:50). Depending on where in Germantown could set you back about 20 minutes or more depending on the time of day.

Germantown and Bethesda Naval around about 13 - 18 miles depending where in Germantown, so they are close, but it just depends on your work schedule
Well thats peak rush hour.....Of course it takes so long but most people who leave around 6:00-7:00 avoid all that mess.....

Old 07-19-2007, 02:30 PM

2 posts, read 7,035 times
I appreciate the info on the commute times. Maybe we will be successful in working out some alternate work hours to avoid the peak hours.

Any thoughts on neighborhoods we should check out? Any neighborhoods we should avoid all together?

Thanks!

Old 07-26-2007, 09:31 AM

8 posts, read 20,744 times
I'll be attending Graduate sch at UMD.
I'm looking at apt in
Germantown
Gaithersburg
North Bethesda
Rockville
Beltsville
Bowie

I have a small family with 1 toddler. Which is a better place?

Old 07-26-2007, 10:27 AM

535 posts, read 1,180,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cattwl View Post
I'm looking at apt in
Germantown
Gaithersburg
North Bethesda
Rockville
Beltsville
Bowie

You are asking a difficult question without more information. Are there two adults in your family or just you and the toddler? The main thing that you should consider is commuting around here is very difficult. The drive from Germantown or Gaithersburg would take a very long time. I suggest you look in Silver Spring and Wheaton -- from either of those areas you could get to UMd without using beltway (important when there are traffic jams). Beltsville would be very convenient if you could find a nice place. You don't have schools to worry about at this point. You could also check with the school housing office -- there might be other things closer to College Park. Now, if you have a spouse or partner who needs to work I would also suggest Silver Spring or Wheaton near the metro. You would both have reasonable access to your destination.
One other suggestion -- why not post your question in a new topic not under Germantown? Germantown is so far from UMd and people who could perhaps help you might not read your post.

Old 07-26-2007, 11:51 PM

3,146 posts, read 3,950,968 times
I know I will sound like the "old fart" that I am here. When I was growing up in Rockville, Maryland, Germantown was the "country". Now? Well, even when I left 20 years ago, it had already become a sea of townhouses, condos, and development. That being said, it is in a major hot spot as far as jobs go, etc. But if you are looking for "wide open spaces", forget it. Long gone. I don't even recognize the Wheaton area or Silver Spring when I go back either. A changing place for a changing time I guess, but those of us who grew up there, Ah, the memorries....

Old 07-27-2007, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cattwl View Post
I'm looking at apt in
Germantown
Gaithersburg
North Bethesda
Rockville
Beltsville
Bowie

You don't want to commute far. The traffic is crazy on route 1...My recommendations are Laurel, Beltsville is close and solid area...Maybe check out Greenbelt and Silver Spring...The others are real far and right around traffic back ups..

Old 07-27-2007, 09:34 AM

8 posts, read 20,744 times
Thanks for the replies and sorry for the confusion.

There are 2 adults and a toddler in my family. I will be the only one commuting to UMD.

Having read so much about how PGC is like, I'm quite skeptical about staying there. I'm not familiar with Maryland (I live in California). I have heard good stuff about Beltsville and Bowie though. Do Graduate students in UMD live around College Park area too?

*I will start a new thread. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland