Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 03:49 PM

7,008 posts, read 11,304,621 times

Advertisements

A mix of minorities in an area in and an of itself means little, but a rapid demographic change from one race to another in a blue-collar neighborhood normally means the flight of those that can afford to leave, followed by plummeting real estate values, owners deciding to rent, and new people, almost always of a lower socio-economic group, normally minority group moving in.

Based on the description above, I would rate this demographic change as negative to the established residents, based less on race than lifestyle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2011, 08:10 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,414,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
A mix of minorities in an area in and an of itself means little, but a rapid demographic change from one race to another in a blue-collar neighborhood normally means the flight of those that can afford to leave, followed by plummeting real estate values, owners deciding to rent, and new people, almost always of a lower socio-economic group, normally minority group moving in.

Based on the description above, I would rate this demographic change as negative to the established residents, based less on race than lifestyle.
It's amazing how people don't get that.

I also find it ironic that in liberal MoCo whites are fleeing. These are the same white liberals who voted for people who support diversity and all of its supposed benefits. These are the same white liberals who declare that they are not racist. So why are they leaving? Why aren't they leaving their diverse utopia?

Old 02-17-2011, 08:22 PM

7,008 posts, read 11,304,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
It's amazing how people don't get that.

I also find it ironic that in liberal MoCo whites are fleeing. These are the same white liberals who voted for people who support diversity and all of its supposed benefits. These are the same white liberals who declare that they are not racist. So why are they leaving? Why aren't they leaving their diverse utopia?
Honestly, I think it is the regs that mandidated that a certain % of all units in new subdevelopments have to be set aside as "affordable." This pretty much eliminates the old model (still going strong in VA) of building a community with an impossibly high price point, stick a couple brand new schools right in the middle and isolate you and your family from the rest of society.

It is easy to be liberal when you live in an ivory tower. Just like it is easy to be liberal when you got nothing to lose. Everyone inbetween these extremes suffers from government mandidated liberalism. It isn't just Wheaton. The whole idea of layer upon layer of free "benefit" money, transfering benefits from county to county, and of course paying people to have kids they can't afford, then giving them more money if they manage to screw the kids up, or if Babydaddy ends up in prison is poisioning many communties in this state.

I have some new ideas, no free government money without work (plenty of trash to pick up and old widow's houses to paint), no extra money for having kids unless you agree to get long term birth control, and incarcerating criminals, including those that commit welfare fraud, for a long long time.

Old 02-18-2011, 09:57 AM

1,831 posts, read 4,434,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayman1981 View Post
I live in Silver Spring. I go to wheaton mall all the time, personally I really don't see anything wrong with the area. Wheaton is just a diverse community. I think people see a mass of minorities and feel that it's going down hill, which can be sad to make such an assumption, but I think that is how people tend to view places with a high minority population.

Off-topic, Jayman, but why do I keep thinking you live in PG?

I haven't been to the Wheaton area lately. From what I saw the last time I was driving by, it looked like there were nice parts and not-so-nice parts. Generally speaking, my observation has been that flight from certain neighborhoods and tolerance of certain lifestyles leads to neighborhood deterioration. Some people stay and can help keep parts of neighborhoods, or certain subdivisions, strong and cohesive. But others would rather flee than fight when it comes to safety and declining property values.

Old 02-18-2011, 01:04 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,983,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowian View Post
Off-topic, Jayman, but why do I keep thinking you live in PG?
You're not the only one pondering that. I remember him saying he was getting a place in PG. I'm a little confused.

Old 02-18-2011, 07:38 PM

512 posts, read 1,635,848 times
To Bowian and meatkins your right I did post I lived in P.G. Long story short. The house that the Mrs and I thought we were settling on fell through. During the whole house search we have been staying in Silver Spring. Sorry for the confusion on that. But on Wednesday I hope I'll be able to give you good news. Sorry for hijacking the thread just wanted to straighten that out.

I'm typing this on the iPod sorry for the big blob of a post.

Old 02-19-2011, 05:06 AM

19 posts, read 86,263 times
Wheaton going down hill?

No, America as a whole is going down hill.

Old 02-19-2011, 07:29 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,983,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayman1981 View Post
To Bowian and meatkins your right I did post I lived in P.G. Long story short. The house that the Mrs and I thought we were settling on fell through. During the whole house search we have been staying in Silver Spring. Sorry for the confusion on that. But on Wednesday I hope I'll be able to give you good news. Sorry for hijacking the thread just wanted to straighten that out.

I'm typing this on the iPod sorry for the big blob of a post.
Sorry to hear that, good luck with closing!

Old 02-20-2011, 08:21 AM

175 posts, read 651,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terps99 View Post
Wheaton going down hill?

No, America as a whole is going down hill.
Cant agree more to that.

Old 02-20-2011, 09:30 AM

1 posts, read 2,010 times
Actually the crime in Wheaton has dramatically decreased in the last 5 years, ask any cop..alot of the wild element of the transitional mid 00's are gone now and their extended families have rooted down. If anything, it's quiet and needs some nightlife/entertainment. Apparently there are 200 units going on top of Safeway, 200 more on the church behind Ballys, Panera & Costco opening this year..and something going on with the Metro station and parking...not sure about the Archstone project but I looked at renting there and supposedly most are gone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland