U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-19-2011, 12:46 PM

2 posts, read 5,027 times

Advertisements

You guys are awesome; I read some of the threads here before I joined this forum and found they are quite valuable.
Well, I am in a situation where I canít make a decision on my next move. I currently live in Bowie, I bought this place in my mid-twenties and now I am married and in mid-thirty. Itís about the time to raise kids and knowing the PG county school system, it is not the place I want to send my kids. Donít take me wrong, Bowie area where I live now is very nice and quite etc- and the 40 minutes commute to Rosslyn,Va everyday isnít that bad either. Any way, getting to the point, I found two nice properties- one in Great Falls, VA and other in Potomac, MD; both places are only a walking distance from the Potomac River. Both areas are pretty much neck to neck when it comes to schools, neighborhood, and convenient etcÖ. But not sure which one of these would ideal when it come to annual tax, public transportation, commuting to Georgetown, DC and Rosslyn and may be resale in future.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2011, 03:09 PM

783 posts, read 1,611,032 times
I like GF more than Potomac, unless is Potomac proper..like River Rd, Persimmon Tree etc...though choice... think maybe GF properties are holding value better than Potomac and more diserable....

Old 02-19-2011, 06:20 PM

7,441 posts, read 9,478,290 times
I don't know where in GF the property is but Potomac would be good for any of those commutes. You've got River Rd, the Clara Barton Parkway, or hop over the bridge to the GW Parkway.

Old 02-20-2011, 11:05 AM

4,519 posts, read 5,141,704 times
There's not a lot of difference between those communities. Big houses on big lots, and not much difference between the Langley and Churchill HS pyramids. Overall, taxes will be higher in Potomac, but it's easier to get to Georgetown from Potomac. If you have to commute regularly to Rosslyn, Great Falls is better.

Keep in mind, though, that Great Falls stretches quite a ways to the west. Some parts of Potomac are actually on the other side of the Potomac River from McLean, whereas some parts of Great Falls are across the river from North Potomac and Darnestown.

Old 02-21-2011, 12:49 PM

2 posts, read 5,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I don't know where in GF the property is but Potomac would be good for any of those commutes. You've got River Rd, the Clara Barton Parkway, or hop over the bridge to the GW Parkway.
At GF, it's next to Riverbend Park (2 mins walk) and the great falls park entrance... At Potomac, the house is on the River Rd.

I also find an another property closer to the Potomac river at STERLING, VA 20165 (near GWU Virginia campus / Youngs Cliff rd) and it costs only 1/3 price of the properties I found at Potomac and Great Falls, VA; but I read bad comments about Sterling here in this website. So I decide not to proceed with Sterling properties.

Old 10-17-2011, 10:55 AM

2 posts, read 2,223 times
So excited when I saw this link as we are in your exact same situation! I'm wondering what you decided to do and how you like where you are?

Old 07-03-2012, 06:34 AM

1 posts, read 1,245 times
Default Choosing GF

We are moving to GF and had a difficult time choosing between GF and Potomac for schools, lifestyle, location, etc. I would love to know if any of you chose GF and how it is going? Any advice, insight is welcome! I'll be glad to do the same in a few months!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland