U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 12-05-2011, 10:37 PM
 
7,820 posts, read 5,230,417 times
Reputation: 1379

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
Now I see that your Motive to to Force Maryland back to the 18th Century while pushing Northern Virginia into the Modern 21st Century....

There are no plans what soo ever to tear down any of the Malls in Northern Virginia not even Springfield Mall....

What you are trying to dictate against Suburban Maryland will not ever be successful because it will be a cold day in HELL when All of Suburban Maryland Indoor Shopping Malls get torn down while Northern Virginia Malls remain at state.....

You keep dreaming OK because there are more people that share my views than views of fascist controlling of anti-Progressive Growth......
In White Flint, the mall is being turned into a town - Capital Business Blog - The Washington Post

and this

Main Street making a comeback at the expense of the shopping mall - The Washington Post


You need to wake up and look around. Springfield Mall is doing the same thing. The country is changing. Try to keep up!


Quote:
Originally Posted by From the Article
"Malls are changing,” said James D. Policaro, managing director of development for Lerner. “It’s a transformation — a transformation of buying habits.”

White Flint isn’t the only property in the Washington area whose owners are considering a transformation toward a town center concept.

Vornado/Charles E. Smith, owner of Springfield Mall, envisions a similar remake. The developer has proposed replacing the 2.1 million-square-foot mall with an 80-acre town center that would ultimately have more than 2,000 housing units, multiple office buildings and a hotel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-05-2011, 10:44 PM
 
2,333 posts, read 2,297,402 times
Reputation: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
In White Flint, the mall is being turned into a town - Capital Business Blog - The Washington Post

and this

Main Street making a comeback at the expense of the shopping mall - The Washington Post


You need to wake up and look around. Springfield Mall is doing the same thing. The country is changing. Try to keep up!
Again there are noo solid plans to tear down Springfield Mall.

And when you have solid proof that Tysons Corner, Fair Oaks, Dulles Town Centre, Ballston Commons, and Pentagon City being torn down to be replace with 18th Century style small towns then your Opinionated Commentary will hold some weight..........

Last edited by $mk8795; 12-05-2011 at 10:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2011, 11:03 PM
 
7,820 posts, read 5,230,417 times
Reputation: 1379
Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
Again there are noo solid plans to tear down Springfield Mall.

And when you have solid proof that Tysons Corner, Fair Oaks, Dulles Town Centre, Ballston Commons, and Pentagon City being torn down to be replace with 18th Century style small towns then your Opinionated Commentary will hold some weight..........
Well....lol...you keep siting in your house looking out the window wishing the year 2011 never ends. The rest of us are going to be out enjoying the future. WAKE UP! You sound ignorant. Shopping on Michigan Ave. in Chicago and Park Ave. in New York blows anything in a shopping mall out the water. There is nothing small town about it. Springfield is going to build highrises with 2,000 housing units and office buildings and retail. How is that small town? Wake Up Son! Times are changing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2011, 02:28 AM
 
9 posts, read 3,926 times
Reputation: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
Exactly!!!!


I have come to being very hip when these anti-Maryland characters keep throwing around words like Smart Growth and Transit Oriented Development is just a bunch of sugar coded words for anti-Growth, anti-Progressive, and anti-highway building when it comes to Maryland competing against Virginia.....

These characters will never admit that if Smart Growth and Transit Oriented development was such good planning then why is Virginia continuing to Build/ Expand Highways, Massive Office Towers, Multi-Level Shopping Malls, and Subways more than 20 miles from DC/Arlington/Alexandria......

It reminds me of when Northern Virginia recently won the Northrop Grumman headquarters over Maryland. I guarantee you all the "smart growth" Marylanders didn't even wage a bet against Virginia. That would be like betting against a greyhound over a slug in a race. After yet another unabashed loss to VA, the MD governor, O'Malley, said that it was a victory for Maryland. Yes, he said it. His conclusion? Marylanders can commute to Virginia for the new jobs. Hey, he's right. Marylanders have been clogging the roadways heading into VA for 30 years now. How many commute the other direction? I'll take the slug odds.
In the meantime, with the exception of the expansion of MD 100, Maryland, including Howard County/Columbia and Montgomery County, hasn't changed an iota since 1988.
I'm still waiting to see development between the Capital Beltway and MD 197 along US 50. Could you image a swath of land that large and undeveloped a mere 10-15 miles from DC in Virginia? And that part of PG County is the "high end" neighborhood.
Don't think PG's National Harbor (tourists cringe at the surrounding location and utter lack of public transportation---they have to take water taxis into VA to catch the Metro!) or the proposed Konterra development near Beltsville will lead to anything even closely resembling commercial development in Northern Virginia (pick any of them). Low-rise, strip mall development.... nothing fancy there.
For the same reason why BWI's multi-million dollar international pier sits empty, the state of Maryland lacks BIG BUSINESS, which it needs to attract development. Currently, Maryland ranks only second to California for being the least business friendly state.
If it wasn't for the federal government, Maryland would look like the Bayou.
Face it fellow Marylanders. You live in a state controlled by tax and spend bureaucrats who have only one interest: their own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2011, 02:39 AM
 
9 posts, read 3,926 times
Reputation: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
NYC hasn't collapsed. Don't see why we would. Unlike you guys up there, we have metro, light rail, and commuter rail for our suburb corridor cities. NYC suburbs have nothing but commuter rail which nobody uses for transit other than commuting to their job in the city. Our suburbs aren't going to be that way..

Umm, I believe that the NYC area has a few rail systems set up. Seems that there is one Marylander who needs to travel more. MARC Rail, which boasts a whopping 12,000 commuters a day (compared with the LIRR and NJ Transit, which both carry about 400,000 commuters a day each) is a state-run choo-choo (MARC originally stood for "Maryland Rural Commuter" but the state changed it years ago to something more urban--Maryland Rapid Commuter?? The VRE surpassed MARC in ridership 10 years ago, yet it's still a pittance compared with commuter rails in PA, IL, NY, MA, CT, NJ and even CA. Yes, that makes MARC an all-star joke.

MDAllstar, give it up. You're embarrassing yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2011, 05:34 AM
 
Location: North Baltimore ----> Seattle
6,476 posts, read 6,163,538 times
Reputation: 2979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario Smario View Post
Umm, I believe that the NYC area has a few rail systems set up. Seems that there is one Marylander who needs to travel more. MARC Rail, which boasts a whopping 12,000 commuters a day (compared with the LIRR and NJ Transit, which both carry about 400,000 commuters a day each) is a state-run choo-choo (MARC originally stood for "Maryland Rural Commuter" but the state changed it years ago to something more urban--Maryland Rapid Commuter?? The VRE surpassed MARC in ridership 10 years ago, yet it's still a pittance compared with commuter rails in PA, IL, NY, MA, CT, NJ and even CA. Yes, that makes MARC an all-star joke.

MDAllstar, give it up. You're embarrassing yourself.
Actually, the one who advocated for a 20-lane urban freeway as a sign of progress is the one embarrassing his or herself. MdAllstar is on the money.

30 years from now, the smart money is on areas like Montgomery and not Loudon, because of planning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2011, 07:43 AM
 
7,525 posts, read 9,633,160 times
Reputation: 2931
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario Smario View Post
Marylanders have been clogging the roadways heading into VA for 30 years now. How many commute the other direction?
This is one of the biggest myths on this forum. The traffic from Virginia to Maryland in the morning, and returning to Virginia in the afternoon, is just as clogged up as the traffic going the other direction. In fact, it's often worse than your preferred direction. Drive in the traffic going over the American Legion bridge for a while and you will see for yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2011, 01:08 PM
 
7,820 posts, read 5,230,417 times
Reputation: 1379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario Smario View Post
Umm, I believe that the NYC area has a few rail systems set up. Seems that there is one Marylander who needs to travel more. MARC Rail, which boasts a whopping 12,000 commuters a day (compared with the LIRR and NJ Transit, which both carry about 400,000 commuters a day each) is a state-run choo-choo (MARC originally stood for "Maryland Rural Commuter" but the state changed it years ago to something more urban--Maryland Rapid Commuter?? The VRE surpassed MARC in ridership 10 years ago, yet it's still a pittance compared with commuter rails in PA, IL, NY, MA, CT, NJ and even CA. Yes, that makes MARC an all-star joke.

MDAllstar, give it up. You're embarrassing yourself.

It's just baffling to me how ignorant you are. Why would someone put themselves out in the open unprotected by facts just to be completely discredited? Just posting random numbers hoping nobody with intelligence is reading your post.

This is the APTA Q2 2011 report for ridership nationwide:

Marc Rail = 34,100 daily ridership
VRE Rail = 19,400 daily ridership

http://www.apta.com/resources/statis...rship-APTA.pdf

As for your other claims, MARC used to be the B&O railroad before becoming the Marc (Maryland Area Regional Commuter) Train. The Metro is D.C.'s lifeblood and we had the foresight to extend it beyond D.C.'s city proper which has and still is completely urbanizing the suburbs more than the suburbs of NYC will ever be able to do. Highrise cities around every stop are springing up and that WILL never happen in the NYC metro area unless you extend MTA outside of NYC borders. That isn't going to happen so get over it. Our rush our trains run every 3 minutes in the the suburbs. You will never be able to have that kind of service.

Last edited by MDAllstar; 12-06-2011 at 01:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2011, 03:24 PM
 
1,276 posts, read 795,358 times
Reputation: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
Exactly!!!!


I have come to being very hip when these anti-Maryland characters keep throwing around words like Smart Growth and Transit Oriented Development is just a bunch of sugar coded words for anti-Growth, anti-Progressive, and anti-highway building when it comes to Maryland competing against Virginia.....

These characters will never admit that if Smart Growth and Transit Oriented development was such good planning then why is Virginia continuing to Build/ Expand Highways, Massive Office Towers, Multi-Level Shopping Malls, and Subways more than 20 miles from DC/Arlington/Alexandria......
wow, I don't know where to begin with this. You need to do more research on Smart Growth and Transit Oriented Development. Smart Growth doesn't prevent growth but make it more logical ex. developing near a town center rather than on the outskirts.

Virginia can continue to build and expand all the highways they want, they just going to get congested at the same time paving over the entire region. If Virginia actually did some planning and not force people to get into their cars, they wouldn't need to add more roads.

You talk about office towers but they're surrounded by 6 lane roads. With the Silver Line, Tysons Corner is changing from a office park to a pedestrian friendly area. Transit Oriented Development is developing an area with the transit being the center. Portland, OR debunks your argument on smart growth and TOD.

You want to see how bad Maryland can be if they build like Virginia, go down to Waldorf, MD. I dare you to come back and tell me you don't see nothing wrong with Waldorf.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2011, 03:33 PM
 
1,276 posts, read 795,358 times
Reputation: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario Smario View Post
In the meantime, with the exception of the expansion of MD 100, Maryland, including Howard County/Columbia and Montgomery County, hasn't changed an iota since 1988.
I'm still waiting to see development between the Capital Beltway and MD 197 along US 50. Could you image a swath of land that large and undeveloped a mere 10-15 miles from DC in Virginia? And that part of PG County is the "high end" neighborhood.
Don't think PG's National Harbor (tourists cringe at the surrounding location and utter lack of public transportation---they have to take water taxis into VA to catch the Metro!) or the proposed Konterra development near Beltsville will lead to anything even closely resembling commercial development in Northern Virginia (pick any of them). Low-rise, strip mall development.... nothing fancy there.
For the same reason why BWI's multi-million dollar international pier sits empty, the state of Maryland lacks BIG BUSINESS, which it needs to attract development. Currently, Maryland ranks only second to California for being the least business friendly state.
If it wasn't for the federal government, Maryland would look like the Bayou.
Face it fellow Marylanders. You live in a state controlled by tax and spend bureaucrats who have only one interest: their own.
Why develop out there when there are towns inside the Beltway where people actually exist. You build where the people are, not the other way around. Those people that live in that area now knew what the area look like. They likely demanding the same thing they left behind.

I agree with you on the National Harbor. I'm not a big fan of it and thought it was a bad location, not because of the surrounding areas but from a logical perspective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top