U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-09-2011, 05:59 AM

7,596 posts, read 9,725,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
None of what your stating in your opinion applies to Northern Virginia because most of Northern Virginia tax payers work in Northern Virginia while most of th Suburban Maryland tax payers work in Northern Virginia with the exception of DC.......
Got a cite for this claim?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2011, 09:58 AM

1,280 posts, read 807,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Got a cite for this claim?
What's more funny is that claim has nothing to do with what I said.

Old 12-09-2011, 10:37 AM

182 posts, read 340,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
And that's why I said system. One line isn't much good if you don't live on that single line. Without the entire system running 24/7, it's useless. People will be stranded. D.C. is the only city in the whole nation including NYC that provides a rail option to get home to the suburbs after a late night on a Friday or Saturday. D.C. is the only one! NYC is great in the city, but in the suburbs, the trains stop unlike D.C. All the D.C. trains will get you home to every corner of the metro area.
Do you enjoy spreading lies? Have you ever visited the suburbs of NYC? Final question...do you even know what you're talking about?? Growing up on LI I was a frequent rider of these trains.

Show me a DC version of this schedule...I dare you. Transit up there (city and regional) is FAR superior than your precious Maryland Choo Choo...

Penn Station --> Ronkonkoma (BTW it's a suburb 50 miles east of NYC)

Fri Night/Saturday morning...
Depart Arrive
10:16 PM 11:35 PM
11:16 PM 12:35 AM
12:14 AM 1:36 AM
1:16 AM 2:38 AM
2:53 AM 4:14 AM
4:43 AM 6:05 AM
6:16 AM 7:35 AM
7:16 AM 8:35 AM
8:16 AM 9:35 AM
9:16 AM 10:35 AM

I doubt those riders are office to home commuters like you claimed earlier.

Old 12-09-2011, 11:30 AM

7,880 posts, read 5,309,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastli84 View Post
Do you enjoy spreading lies? Have you ever visited the suburbs of NYC? Final question...do you even know what you're talking about?? Growing up on LI I was a frequent rider of these trains.

Show me a DC version of this schedule...I dare you. Transit up there (city and regional) is FAR superior than your precious Maryland Choo Choo...

Penn Station --> Ronkonkoma (BTW it's a suburb 50 miles east of NYC)

Fri Night/Saturday morning...
Depart Arrive
10:16 PM 11:35 PM
11:16 PM 12:35 AM
12:14 AM 1:36 AM
1:16 AM 2:38 AM
2:53 AM 4:14 AM
4:43 AM 6:05 AM
6:16 AM 7:35 AM
7:16 AM 8:35 AM
8:16 AM 9:35 AM
9:16 AM 10:35 AM

I doubt those riders are office to home commuters like you claimed earlier.
Unless the entire system operates like that, it doesn't do much for the region. That was the point from the beginning. Do you have any idea how many lines don't run to certain stations after 1:30 a.m.? A ton! Also, even for this line, lol...it runs every 2 hours! Really? LOL...come on! Who wants to wait two hours after they leave the club for a train? D.C. suburbs >>> NYC suburbs! Our trains run every 15 minutes and you can leave downtown right after the club closes. I would take a taxi before I wait two hours for a train after being in the club for 3 hours! Also, we don't have to switch from MTA NYC's subway to Penn Station to catch a commuter train out to the suburbs. We also don't have to pay two fares, one for the subway and one for the commuter rail. D.C. suburbs > NYC suburbs! SO what did you do for two hours in the station by the way? What happened if you missed that ONE train? Did you wait for another two hours? Come on man.....lol

Last edited by MDAllstar; 12-09-2011 at 11:39 AM..

Old 12-09-2011, 12:09 PM

182 posts, read 340,570 times
Quote:
Unless the entire system operates like that, it doesn't do much for the region. That was the point from the beginning. Do you have any idea how many lines don't run to certain stations after 1:30 a.m.? A ton! Also, even for this line, lol...it runs every 2 hours! Really? LOL...come on! Who wants to wait two hours after they leave the club for a train? D.C. suburbs >>> NYC suburbs! Our trains run every 15 minutes and you can leave downtown right after the club closes. I would take a taxi before I wait two hours for a train after being in the club for 3 hours! Also, we don't have to switch from MTA NYC's subway to Penn Station to catch a commuter train out to the suburbs. We also don't have to pay two fares, one for the subway and one for the commuter rail. D.C. suburbs > NYC suburbs! SO what did you do for two hours in the station by the way? What happened if you missed that ONE train? Did you wait for another two hours? Come on man.....lol
You're delusional. So in order for the system to function properly, every commuter line and station (keep in mind, some of these stations are over 110 miles away from Manhattan) needs to run 24/7?? That alone blows your argument out of the water since MARC and VRE do not run 24/7 and cover a tiny fraction of the region's area and catch a pathetic share of the regions commuters!

Oh, and if I were to miss that train and have to wait less than 2 hours for the next one, I could enjoy one of the thousands of 24hr restaurants and things to do in the most exciting and largest city in the country....while you have fun hanging around Gallery Place at 4AM...sorry but I think Ruby Tuesday is closed then! =(

And do you seriously think that there's a huge demand for someone in say, Montauk, to need to catch the commuter rail into Manhattan then out to exurban Connecticut at 2AM? Doubt it. If that were the case he/she could drive on one of the region's MANY highways. And I thought Maryland had some of the best public schools in the nation? Guess not. Or maybe they just don't teach logic.

Again, show me how I could take MARC to a suburb 50 miles from DC late at night on the weekend. You can't?? Shocker! DC regional transit = PATHETIC!!!!

Old 12-09-2011, 05:23 PM

7,880 posts, read 5,309,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastli84 View Post
You're delusional. So in order for the system to function properly, every commuter line and station (keep in mind, some of these stations are over 110 miles away from Manhattan) needs to run 24/7?? That alone blows your argument out of the water since MARC and VRE do not run 24/7 and cover a tiny fraction of the region's area and catch a pathetic share of the regions commuters!

Oh, and if I were to miss that train and have to wait less than 2 hours for the next one, I could enjoy one of the thousands of 24hr restaurants and things to do in the most exciting and largest city in the country....while you have fun hanging around Gallery Place at 4AM...sorry but I think Ruby Tuesday is closed then! =(

And do you seriously think that there's a huge demand for someone in say, Montauk, to need to catch the commuter rail into Manhattan then out to exurban Connecticut at 2AM? Doubt it. If that were the case he/she could drive on one of the region's MANY highways. And I thought Maryland had some of the best public schools in the nation? Guess not. Or maybe they just don't teach logic.

Again, show me how I could take MARC to a suburb 50 miles from DC late at night on the weekend. You can't?? Shocker! DC regional transit = PATHETIC!!!!
Who cares about someone 50 miles in some exurb like Fredericksburg taking the train into DC? I'm sure there is some hoe down for them to attend. I'm talking about the urban suburbs like Fairfax, PG, Montgomery, and Arlington. Those are the only places that matter and we don't take commuter trains. We take the subway. We don't have to worry about waiting around for trains. Subways run frequent. If you live further out than a subway line, you don't really matter for urban transportation planning anyway. A train that runs every two hours is basically Amtrak. Shoot, a train that runs every 30 minutes is basically Amtrak. We built high rises around our subway stops. You can't compare commuter rail to the subway! Sorry! So how much does it cost you to take your commuter train? Our subway is max $2.75 on a Friday/saturday night. You have to pay for the REAL SUBWAY MTA in New York City and then you have to transfer and pay for commuter rail (choo choo trains) out of the city which can run up to 7 dollars or more. If you lived in an urban area, you would have the subway. Instead, you lived in the country apparently.

Last edited by MDAllstar; 12-09-2011 at 06:33 PM..

Old 12-09-2011, 08:07 PM

3,155 posts, read 4,453,467 times
Quote:
Who cares about someone 50 miles in some exurb like Fredericksburg taking the train into DC? I'm sure there is some hoe down for them to attend. I'm talking about the urban suburbs like Fairfax, PG, Montgomery, and Arlington. Those are the only places that matter and we don't take commuter trains. We take the subway. We don't have to worry about waiting around for trains. Subways run frequent. If you live further out than a subway line, you don't really matter for urban transportation planning anyway. A train that runs every two hours is basically Amtrak. Shoot, a train that runs every 30 minutes is basically Amtrak. We built high rises around our subway stops. You can't compare commuter rail to the subway! Sorry! So how much does it cost you to take your commuter train? Our subway is max $2.75 on a Friday/saturday night. You have to pay for the REAL SUBWAY MTA in New York City and then you have to transfer and pay for commuter rail (choo choo trains) out of the city which can run up to 7 dollars or more. If you lived in an urban area, you would have the subway. Instead, you lived in the country apparently.

That's great to hear! So you are no longer concerned about how we develop our own land and get around out here in Western Maryland?

Wish I could type more, but I have a stereotypical backward rural social function that I need to drive my car to attend. I hear possum is on the menu.

Old 12-09-2011, 09:23 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,225,683 times
I don't get the argument. The Metro isn't 24 hours either.

Old 12-09-2011, 09:35 PM

4,683 posts, read 7,440,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario Smario View Post
Let's get this clear. I grew up in the Md. suburbs of DC, in illustrious PG County. At the time (1970s) PG County was by far the most populated suburban county with about 620,000 residents. Montgomery came in second with about half, followed closely by Fairfax. For as long as I can remember, there's been ongoing regional disputes about which state is more hickey, Maryland or Virginia. Rest assured, both states have more than their share of hickness, including the DC suburbs. By 1980, Virginia started to become more business friendly and capitalize on its proximity to DC. Maryland sat by and watched places like Tysons Corner spring up, making Silver Spring look like a rural outpost. While the Maryland General Assembly wracked their brains trying to figure out ways to make Baltimore appear like a world class city (will never happen), the VA suburbs laughed all the way to the bank, leaving Montgomery in the dust (PG was dead back in the 1970s). Today, PG's population has grown negligibly, and has actually lost population in the last census. Fairfax has more than 1 million residents, while Montgomery hovers around 900,000. The MD suburbs are best described as bedroom communities, the VA suburbs are more dense building and business centers. If you land at Dulles or National, you are surrounded by buildings. If you land at BWI, all you see is greenfields. Maryland is a tax and spend state, there is only ONE fortune 500 company in the entire state, whereas VA has 15. Maryland is the only state in the east coast with fewer than 5 fortune 500 companies--as I said, only 1 (ONE).
Which state is the most hickey? Okay, so I-270 has 12 lanes. Wippee. That's about the only claim to glory for the MD burbs in the 21st century. Tyson's Corner has a skyline that rivals large cities. There are about a dozen immense high rise developments in Northern VA. Maryland has about 3.
In reality, the MD burbs of both DC and Baltimore are rather backward in development. I've been to cities all across the US, and the freeway development (with the exception of Philadelphia and Charlotte) far surpasses Maryland's. Cincinnati, St. Louis, Louisville, Minneapolis, to name a few, all have super highways zipping downtown and around with loopy loops and all that. The state of MD won't even name US 50 I-595. Why? The state legislature thinks it will confuse people. If you ask me "Hick" is Maryland's middle name. Take a drive across the DC area, take a drive across the country. Maryland is a joke. It's perhaps the most populated underdeveloped state in the country. And if you think a mere 6 mile stretch of 12 lanes of I-270 makes a state urban chic, again, look around. Atlanta has a 20 lane expressway that goes for as many miles.
People need to pull their heads out of the sand and realize that when it comes to development, MD looks like a swamp in comparison to VA, and it has for the past 30 years. You can still see farms (albeit abandoned) along the Capital Beltway in southern PG County. It was an embarrassment to me when I wa a kid, and 30 years later, with still no development in PG County, it's still an embarrassment.

Mario, you make many valid points but I would like to touch upong the "hick" part. First of all, I find that term classist, elitist and offensive and reeks of elitism. Actually both Maryland and Virginia are mostly rural, especially Western Maryland and the Eastern Shore. BUT more of Virginia consists of rural areas. Virginia is a class Southern state. I have had the pleasure of spending much time around Charlottesville, Lynchburg, Danville, etc and many more Virginians have southern accents and the rebel flag continues to fly proudly through all of the state outside the DC area. So the DC burbs of Virginia are more developed than Montgomery, but overall Maryland is a more urban state (and on the record i DON'T like this).

Maryland is overall a Democrat state because it is ruled out of Montgomery County, whose liberal elites force their policies on the rest of the state. Many of Baltimore's suburbs are quite conservative actually. We are not as busienss friendly as VA. Virginia is a conservative state not because of NOVA, which is full of liberal yuppies and transplants, but because it is dominated by its rural areas which are very similar to Tennessee and North Carolina. For example gay marriage will never be discussed in Virginia, and illegal immigration will never be tolerated there. Its also true that southern Virginia subsidies the DC area, with residents of Lynchburg and Danville paying for the DC subway through there taxes while no money from NOVA goes to the rest of the state. It is the same with Maryland, with the rest of the state paying high taxes to support Montgomery County and getting nothing back in return, including the new tolls in Baltimore and the Eastern Shore so that the ICC can be built.

Old 12-09-2011, 09:40 PM

4,683 posts, read 7,440,536 times
This madness is thanks to Governor O'Malley's Plan Maryland which wants to steer development toward existing areas. However this will decreas ethe quality of life in existing areas. Gaithersburg is crowded enough, this will only push existing residents further out to Frederick or into West Virginia. The liberals in MoCo don't understand that most of us do not want to live in these dense areas. We prefer to live in a low-density suburban or rural area. Many people moved to Gaithersburg from closer to DC for the open space and suburban lifestyle. These plans for the fairgrounds are ridiculous.

And I don't expect the liberal elites to care mcuh about the "hicks" "rednecks" and "inbred hillbillies and trailer trash" who participate in the fair. I'm sure they rather see these things gone and replaced by "multicultural festivals" with diverse things like rap music and illegal immigrants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland