Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 11:20 AM

501 posts, read 1,161,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post

I, personally, have always had and preferred MY own fence all the way around my yard. I just think that 'piggy backing' on -other fences in cheaping out. If I have my own there's no debate about who owns what. Besides, that fence is not your fence, what makes you think you can use it as such.
Actually, this is perfectly legal. My father originally had a fence with three sides in the rear of the house- from the corners of his house straight back on the left and right, and then the "far wall" fence connecting the two. One year, he decided to have a pool installed and the right wall had to be taken down to make way for the equipment.... after the installation, he "cut" that side of the fence in half and connected one piece to the "far wall" and another horizontally from the right corner so that now he essentially has no right-side fence and his fencing ends a couple inches from the neighbor's left fence wall... effectively enlarging his yard space with his own property that was not fenced before and "using" part of his neighbors fence to complete his own. This is fine, seeing as none of his fence is actually attached to the neighbor's. Now, if the neighbor would take down his fence, it would, of course be up to my father to complete his own fence if he wished to have it enclosed. Point being, there is really nothing wrong with this practice and nothing can be done about it so long as nothing is touching or attached to the neighbor's fencing. If you have ever been to Baltimore city and seen the yards of most rowhomes, you'll find this to be a common practice.

That said, what this lady has mentioned in this thread is not the same thing, of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2011, 05:41 PM

789 posts, read 2,563,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badchad View Post
I figure I'd ask a related question since we're discussing fences: Is it wrong to ask a neighbor to VOLUNTARILY, partially contribute to a fence between properties?

The logic is that both parties benefit from having the fence there. Or is this just in bad taste?
Nope, it's not in bad taste. A couple years ago the neighbor behind me approached me to replace the old dilapidated fence that separates our properties. He ordered all the post etc, and we worked on it together. We split the cost of the materials in half...

Old 02-27-2011, 05:58 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,414,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDguy99 View Post
Please tell me you are not serious. Your neighbor takes down their own fence that they paid for and you have the balls to whine about it? If you want a fence so bad, why not just get one yourself? If it's on the property line and also surrounds their house, it is obviously their fence and you have no say. If anybody told me what to do with my own fence, I would kindly tell her where to shove it. Glad I live in the BALTIMORE suburbs where this kind of petty thing wouldn't even be an issue. You live in the DC suburbs, so it's not exactly like you are hurting for money judging by your other posts- visit Home Depot and do what you need to do, Jesus.
Amazing isn't it? The sense of entitlement some people have is truly breathtaking.

Old 02-27-2011, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyc View Post
Nope, it's not in bad taste. A couple years ago the neighbor behind me approached me to replace the old dilapidated fence that separates our properties. He ordered all the post etc, and we worked on it together. We split the cost of the materials in half...
Hate to break it to ya, but most likely the fence was slightly on his property and you were taken advantage of. It's nearly impossible for a fence to fall directly on the property line AND be considered "shared property".

Old 02-27-2011, 06:15 PM

2 posts, read 4,961 times
You can't afford a fence so you're upset that the neighbors no longer want their fence. And on top of that you would like for the neighbors to check with you before making decisions about their property? The audacity of people these days...

This is why I want a home separated from other homes and why I avoid HOA communities like the plague. Just the thought of someone trying to control what I do with my property gets my blood hot... but I still wish you the best of luck. For all you know the neighbors want to replace the old fence with a shiny new one and you're getting your panties in a bunch for no reason. But if they have no plans for a new fence then there is only one thing to do... start saving for your own fence rather than depending on the neighbors.

Good luck

Last edited by TerrestrialGypsy; 02-27-2011 at 06:24 PM..

Old 02-27-2011, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerrestrialGypsy View Post
You can't afford a fence so you're upset that the neighbors no longer want their fence. And on top of that you would like for the neighbors to check with you before making decisions about their property? The audacity of people these days...

This is why want a home separated from other homes and why I avoid HOA communities like the plague. Just the thought of someone trying to control what I do with my property gets my blood hot... but I still wish you the best of luck. For all you know the neighbors want to replace the old fence with a shiny new one and you're getting your panties in a bunch for no reason. But if they have no plans for a new fence then there is only one thing to do... start saving for your own fence rather than depending on the neighbors.

Good luck
You are my savior! I love you- thank you for this post!

I also like how the OP refers to their "several trucks" and an "open garage" as being ghastly and unsightly as if their open garage contained a slaughterhouse. LOL. Really? Trucks? Garage? OH NO! I'm sorry, but I can't believe someone would post that thinking they don't sound like a total prude.

Old 02-27-2011, 06:27 PM

789 posts, read 2,563,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDguy99 View Post
Hate to break it to ya, but most likely the fence was slightly on his property and you were taken advantage of. It's nearly impossible for a fence to fall directly on the property line AND be considered "shared property".
Ah..no...

Old 02-28-2011, 10:25 AM

2,039 posts, read 4,553,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerrestrialGypsy View Post

This is why I want a home separated from other homes and why I avoid HOA communities like the plague. Just the thought of someone trying to control what I do with my property gets my blood hot... but I still wish you the best of luck. For all you know the neighbors want to replace the old fence with a shiny new one and you're getting your panties in a bunch for no reason. But if they have no plans for a new fence then there is only one thing to do... start saving for your own fence rather than depending on the neighbors.

Good luck
I was thinking the same thing about they may be putting in a new fence. OP stated that the existing fence was just between the property line. Maybe the neighbor wants to fence in his whole yard now and would like everything to match.

We live in a neighborhood where most yards are fenced. It is a very old area and we have the most mix-matched array of fencing imaginable. Ours is chain link, the neighbors uses one side of ours and has old unpainted picket fencing on one side and metal posts with chicken wire in the back. The next yard has one privacy wall and the rest is picket fence with wire tacked onto it. The people behind us have a long back yard that spans all of ours, so they have chain link, chicken wire, and picket all on one side. We probably are the only house with consistent fencing.

Old 03-01-2011, 06:53 AM

17 posts, read 32,806 times
I just wanted to say thanks to those of you who were not personally attacking me and being insulting for no reason that I can account for. I had heard things about shared fences and situations where if the fence is on the property line it might be owned by both parties. I was simply reaching out to this forum as a resource as a new homeowner who had no idea. I would never go over to their house and demand that they should have checked with me first, before removing their fence. That is ridiculous, and I am not that type of person.

I'm not sure why some of you find it petty or entitled of me to be bothered by my newly acquired view. Everyone has preferences and things that are important to them. For me, it is having an orderly yard. We purchased our house because of the beautiful backyard and view of the woods. We liked that there was a fence separating the properties, since the neighbors weren't very orderly. We had become used to having it there, and it was a shock to us when they tore it down. The fact is, it is messy, and the fence that was there previously was a convenient way of hiding it. All of this is irrelevant to my question, and I probably shouldn't have included it in my post anyway, since apparently it made me sound "prude," as if I care.

I realize now that it was their fence and they can and did do what they want(ed) with it. We are not living beyond our means, we just bought the house and we need some time to get our emergency savings back in order. We are going to look into planting a privacy screen of evergreens, which is what we would prefer to a fence. It is just not something that we had planned on spending on right now.

I hope that if you have an innocent question in the future, readers of this forum are more civil than most of you have been to me.

Old 03-01-2011, 08:41 AM

396 posts, read 1,105,218 times
Not sure why people responded so negatively to the poster; it is difficult to pay so much for a house in the DC burbs and then find out your "view" is not what you thought it was shortly after purchase.

I learned a lot about fences from the helpful informative folks who posted too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland