U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 06:17 PM

13 posts, read 27,050 times

Advertisements

It sounds like, then, that they'd rather build the infrastructure now and plan for higher density in the near future. Provided everything you've shown will happen (the major mixed used, high density projects planned for Gaithersburg), then it'd be a good pay off. I don't know if the cost to build this will rise in the future when things are more crowded, but if so then it'd definitely a good idea to build it now, as long as population density actually does rise significantly. Otherwise it'll be a losing gamble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2011, 08:58 PM

33 posts, read 48,676 times
I would love to ride it. It looks way better than the bus now I am taking to work every day. I wish there would be a stop near where I live. Every 6 minutes? Great! And it will come in two years? wonderful!

Old 03-06-2011, 09:25 PM

12,930 posts, read 19,553,878 times
The build the infrastructure and they will come, does seem to ring true.

I think one of the hardest things about the U.S. compared to other countries, is the ridiculous amount of zoning that has already taken place.

Over here in Asia, and most anywhere else, you can kinda do whatever you want. So things build up to real nice densities of everything you can imagine. In ways that the U.S. cities outside of NYC can only dream about.

I just wonder if Gaithersburg is doing anything to adopt less zoning restrictions and such to encourage a higher density around the projected stations.

Also, wonder if they'll be able to get foot traffic and density around these places. Or will they half-ass do it, where you have large parking lots around the larger stations, with little room and little activity for foot traffic around there.

I like the Gaithersburg idea. But, I just have a lot of reservations if a modern car-centric U.S. suburban city is capable of pulling it off or not.

Old 03-06-2011, 09:45 PM

7,777 posts, read 5,102,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wells1999 View Post
I would love to ride it. It looks way better than the bus now I am taking to work every day. I wish there would be a stop near where I live. Every 6 minutes? Great! And it will come in two years? wonderful!
It will take about two years to build. That is once construction starts though. I don't know when that will be. They say they want to move forward with it soon. What area do you live in? The BRT buses will run east-west on all the main arteries in Gaithersburg and along all of 355. The current ride on buses will all be rerouted and turned into circulator buses feeding the main arteries. If you live in the Gaithersburg city limits or the Gaithersburg suburb Montgomery Village, you will be serviced by it.

These are the terminus and through streets of each route in Gaithersburg:

Baby Blue = Beginning at Route 28, Quince Orchard Rd, Montgomery Village Ave, ending at Wightman Rd
Red = Beginning at JHU campus, Muddy Branch Rd, Olde Town, Route 124, ending at Air Park Rd
Light Brown = Beginning at JHU campus, I-370, ending at Shady Grove Metro Station
Dark Brown = Beginning at Route 28, Shady Grove, ending at Muncaster Mill Rd
Orange = 355 straight through Gaithersburg
Royal Blue = Light Rail (CCT) with 8 stations in Gaithersburg consisting of 1 Crownfarm/Washingtonian Center stop, 4 Science City stops, 1 Kentlands Stop, 1 NIST/Orchard Pond stop, and 1 Watkins Mill Town Center Stop

***Every route is slated for very heavy development in the future***

Old 03-06-2011, 10:14 PM

7,777 posts, read 5,102,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
The build the infrastructure and they will come, does seem to ring true.

I think one of the hardest things about the U.S. compared to other countries, is the ridiculous amount of zoning that has already taken place.

Over here in Asia, and most anywhere else, you can kinda do whatever you want. So things build up to real nice densities of everything you can imagine. In ways that the U.S. cities outside of NYC can only dream about.

I just wonder if Gaithersburg is doing anything to adopt less zoning restrictions and such to encourage a higher density around the projected stations.

Also, wonder if they'll be able to get foot traffic and density around these places. Or will they half-ass do it, where you have large parking lots around the larger stations, with little room and little activity for foot traffic around there.

I like the Gaithersburg idea. But, I just have a lot of reservations if a modern car-centric U.S. suburban city is capable of pulling it off or not.

Gaithersburg doesn't really have big parking lots except on 355 which is about to change. The city consists of mainly apartment complexes and row homes. Most of the single family homes are not in the city limits and those that are have very small lots. Gaithersburg has changed zoning to high density MXD or mixed use in pretty much every place in the city limits that can be developed. Based on their Master Plan, these area's have been changed to high density mixed use zoning:

-Entire 355 corridor is now Mixed Use
-Lake Forest mall
-Fairgrounds
-Car Dealerships
-Sam's Club
-Burlington/Toy's R US
-Bermin Solbin Gross LLP
-Kaiser Permanente
-Bottom Dollar Shopping Center
-Asian Market Shopping Strip
-East Deer Park side of 355 (includes all the apartments up 355)
-A host of other area's

-Quince Orchard Corridor
-Diamond Shopping Center
-Orchard Pond Apartments
-Quince Orchard area Car Dealerships

-Muddy Branch Corridor
-Londonderry Apartments
-Montgomery Club Apartments

***Just to name a few area's along the BRT corridor's in Gaithersburg slated for high density development***

Old 03-07-2011, 07:58 AM

6 posts, read 8,406 times
MDAllstar, one sentence seems to sum up many of your posts:
"How can anybody object to them building the Science City with this type of mass transit network?"
What is your connection with the Science City and what do you have to gain by its construction? Are you one of Johns Hopkins' hired guns?

Old 03-07-2011, 09:43 AM

521 posts, read 484,486 times
You seem awfully optimistic about this. This is the same county that took years and years to pass the white flint sector plan. The CCT is still a long ways from breaking ground. This redevelopment for G-burg would be great but i think its probably at least 10 years away.

Old 03-07-2011, 10:04 AM

655 posts, read 623,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I like the idea of BRT, but is this too much? Do they really need it on Muddy Branch Rd, for example? Muddy Branch doesn't have much traffic congestion today. I do suppose that they need to connect downtown to the CCT. but Ride-On buses can do the same thing..
I think Muddy Branch has terrible traffic congestion during rush hour! Not so much off rush hour, I agree.

Old 03-07-2011, 11:24 AM

7,436 posts, read 9,448,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marska View Post
I think Muddy Branch has terrible traffic congestion during rush hour! Not so much off rush hour, I agree.
The only place for congestion is at Great Seneca highway because there is no right turn lane, and at Diamond Ave. where there is bit of a wait to turn left (right turns have little delay). If they put a right turn lane in on Muddy Branch and Great Seneca I bet the congestion lightens up. The rest of Muddy Branch Rd. rarely gets congested. That's now though. I suppose with all of the building going on it will get much worse.

Old 03-07-2011, 12:47 PM

33 posts, read 48,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
It will take about two years to build. That is once construction starts though.

What area do you live in?

Royal Blue = Light Rail (CCT) with 8 stations in Gaithersburg consisting of 1 Crownfarm/Washingtonian Center stop, 4 Science City stops, 1 Kentlands Stop, 1 NIST/Orchard Pond stop, and 1 Watkins Mill Town Center Stop

***Every route is slated for very heavy development in the future***
Thanks very much for detailed explanation. I live at Kentlands and I see there is a Kentlands stop on CCT. But as far as I know, that stop is not for sure yet, isn't it? I thought it's still an alternative stop option, and yet to be decided. I really hope it will be picked, and they will start build the bus sytem soon!! I am a strong supporter for all these plans!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland