Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 11:31 PM

2,330 posts, read 4,401,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
I think the highways in V.A. are a horrible idea. They should have built there version of the purple line with that money. It would have brought Virginia into the 21st century and urbanized the area. D.C. would then have a complete circle mass transit line around D.C. Instead, they want to stay country with farms and minivans and single family homes. That's is why Virginia is so country. When is the last time New York City built a road? Put your money into metro and build new metro lines. Then build high rises every where around those stops. There is nothing wrong with Tyson building the massive downtown. I am excited about it, I just wish they would keep the road the same and force people to take the train into Tyson's Corner. Why are people still driving?
Sorry I don't follow the above commentary because the last time I checked Northern Virginia's population is about 3 Million, that doesn't look Country to me......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 11:33 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
Hate to bust your bubble but once the new Subway is completed it will cover All 6 Subway Rails in the Maryland/DC Suburbs. So your missing me with that crap.

So again you constantly criticize Maryland Highway Projects but did not say one bad thing in the Tysons Corner thread about Virginia widening I-495, I-66, and I-95/395 which makes me question the real deal about this anti-Highway and pro-trolley like light rail hustle talk for suburban Maryland while keeping quite about the Increasing Highway Construction in Virginia........

Oh and BTW I guess New York City, Chicago, and LA must be Country too because they have Several Highways.........
Couple things:

I will make it real simple for you!

I was talking about the development in Tyson's Corner. Development is not roads. It is high rises and skyscrapers. I never said anything about highway widening about Tyson's Corner because it has nothing to do with a skyline forming in Tyson's Corner. You are the one who is in love with your car and driving and roads. Development is good everywhere in the D.C. area. I support it no matter where it is. The problem is, people keep driving so much instead of taking the trains and building more trains. Traffic wouldn't be bad if you would get out of your car. Have you ever been to Tokyo, Paris, London, New York?

Old 03-10-2011, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Sorry I don't follow the above commentary because the last time I checked Northern Virginia's population is about 3 Million, that doesn't look Country to me......
LOL...ATL is country and they have 5 million. What is your point? All those trees and forest everywhere and no density. LOL...country!!

Old 03-10-2011, 11:39 PM

581 posts, read 1,172,272 times
Virginia's suburbs are traffic choked worse than MD's, and widening their highways might help for a few years, but the lack of smart growth in VA outside of Arlington is going to bite them. Widening those highways without any plan for smarter growth will just result in wider choked highways. I-66 is the worst road in the area. I'll take 270 any day.

I think the Silver Line through Tysons and onto Dulles and the redevelopment planned there is badly needed and a great idea. A lot of that is federally funded though. But that is one area where virginia is being smart. The Arlington model is great, if they can follow that out onto the silver line it will be great for the area.

Old 03-10-2011, 11:42 PM

2,330 posts, read 4,401,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Couple things:

I will make it real simple for you!

I was talking about the development in Tyson's Corner. Development is not roads. It is high rises and skyscrapers. I never said anything about highway widening about Tyson's Corner because it has nothing to do with a skyline forming in Tyson's Corner. You are the one who is in love with your car and driving and roads. Development is good everywhere in the D.C. area. I support it no matter where it is. The problem is, people keep driving so much instead of taking the trains and building more trains. Traffic wouldn't be bad if you would get out of your car. Have you ever been to Tokyo, Paris, London, New York?
When all else fails change the subject......

You started this BS of criticizing Maryland Highways of future Expansion while remaining quite about Virginia Rapidly Expanding their Highways.....

Whether you like it or not I-270 WILL BE WIDEN to 8-12 lanes from Gaithersburg to Frederick and it ain't a darn thing you and other anti-Maryland Highway Haters will do to change it........

I also find it strange that there has not been any discussions of extending the Red Line Subway to Germantown and the Green Line Subway to BWI Airport via Columbia.........

Old 03-10-2011, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ay jayy View Post
Virginia's suburbs are traffic choked worse than MD's, and widening their highways might help for a few years, but the lack of smart growth in VA outside of Arlington is going to bite them. Widening those highways without any plan for smarter growth will just result in wider choked highways. I-66 is the worst road in the area. I'll take 270 any day.

I think the Silver Line through Tysons and onto Dulles and the redevelopment planned there is badly needed and a great idea. A lot of that is federally funded though. But that is one area where virginia is being smart. The Arlington model is great, if they can follow that out onto the silver line it will be great for the area.
Exactly!! Build trains and transit oriented neighborhoods. I was so glad Arlington threatened to sue the state of Virginia to stop the I-395 highway widening. The state stopped after that too. Take that money and build another metro line in Virginia. Or extend the orange and blue and yellow line. Or build a new metro line all together in addition to the silver line. Call it the brown line or something. Stop building roads. This is suppose to be a city, get out of your cars sometimes.

Old 03-10-2011, 11:49 PM

Quote:
When all else fails change the subject......

You started this BS of criticizing Maryland Highways of future Expansion while remaining quite about Virginia Rapidly Expanding their Highways.....

Whether you like it or not I-270 WILL BE WIDEN to 8-12 lanes from Gaithersburg to Frederick and it ain't a darn thing you and other anti-Maryland Highway Haters will do to change it........

I also find it strange that there has not been any discussions of extending the Red Line Subway to Germantown and the Green Line Subway to BWI Airport via Columbia.........
-Green Line has Marc service on the Penn Line all day. No need for metro there.
-Germantown is getting the Corridor Cities Transit way. No need for metro there.
-Frederick has Marc service. The money for I-270 should go to make Marc service like Penn Line service on the Brunswick line. Then those Frederick people could take the train instead of drive like a real city.

Do you take the train? I'm serious $mk8795. Do you take the train? It will explain a lot.

Old 03-11-2011, 06:45 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,848,855 times
Quote:
Sorry but I will cntinue to state the obvious that both Maryland and Virginia are not Northern States because they are below the Mason-Dixon Line....
The MD-line has drifted south over the years , so all of MD culture wise is North , NOVA is the new line area....

Old 03-12-2011, 07:50 AM

6 posts, read 14,903 times
MDAllstar states: "Germantown is getting the Corridor Cities Transit way. No need for metro there."

The Corridor Cities Transitway (CCT) is in no way competitive with a Metro line. The meandering 14-16mile path of the CCT is expected to take between 35-45 minutes to go from Shady Grove to the end of the line south of Clarksburg, which would be about 10 miles if Metro were extended.

The distance between Shady Grove and Bethesda is 10 miles and the Metro trip takes 18 minutes.
This assumes Metro is operating. Metro is overcrowded now and is in need of a major overhaul. Has anyone thought about where the money is going to come from for that? Or how long it will take?

The City of Gaithersburg and the county are approving development plans left and right but there is no room on the roads, Metro is overcrowded and the CCT will be a poor excuse for mass transit. Marc Elrich's bus rapid transit will help but most of the county is not configured for mass transit.

Manhattan was built in a grid pattern which works well with mass transit. Montgomery County was built with a few north-south roads and fewer east-west roads. The rest is covered with subdivisions with cul-de-sacs. People need their cars to get out of their subdivisions which complicates mass transit.

Old 03-12-2011, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyltk View Post
MDAllstar states: "Germantown is getting the Corridor Cities Transit way. No need for metro there."

The Corridor Cities Transitway (CCT) is in no way competitive with a Metro line. The meandering 14-16mile path of the CCT is expected to take between 35-45 minutes to go from Shady Grove to the end of the line south of Clarksburg, which would be about 10 miles if Metro were extended.

The distance between Shady Grove and Bethesda is 10 miles and the Metro trip takes 18 minutes.
This assumes Metro is operating. Metro is overcrowded now and is in need of a major overhaul. Has anyone thought about where the money is going to come from for that? Or how long it will take?

The City of Gaithersburg and the county are approving development plans left and right but there is no room on the roads, Metro is overcrowded and the CCT will be a poor excuse for mass transit. Marc Elrich's bus rapid transit will help but most of the county is not configured for mass transit.

Manhattan was built in a grid pattern which works well with mass transit. Montgomery County was built with a few north-south roads and fewer east-west roads. The rest is covered with subdivisions with cul-de-sacs. People need their cars to get out of their subdivisions which complicates mass transit.

The BRT system will compliment the CCT. It's obvious you didn't watch the BRT transportation plan video. People in Germantown and points north going to Shady Grove will transfer to the 355 BRT line from the CCT and come directly south to the metro station. That cuts the trip down by a ton.

Also, transit is not for cul de sacs. The city of Gaithersburg doesnt really have cul de sacs. Transit is for high density development. Gaithersburg doesn't have any BRT routes planned for low density areas. If you look at the map, most of the countywide BRT system is only in the Gaithersburg city limits. The city of Gaithersburg doesn't really have single family homes. The development planned is all highrise and lowrise towers and rowhouses with very high density. Most of the people using BRT will be living in the city of Gaithersburg. What cul de sacs are along those routes? This will be for people who live in the city. People who live outside of the city of Gaithersburg will have the same traffic problems people outside of DC have. You can solve that by moving into the Gaithersburg city limits or taking mass transit to get into the city limits.

Last edited by MDAllstar; 03-12-2011 at 08:31 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland