U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-29-2017, 06:57 AM
 
53,943 posts, read 23,127,659 times
Reputation: 12975

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
The title thread is delibarately worded simply to create discussion, etc. Sorry in advance.

Nontheless, you get a predominate black area, like PG. You look at the numbers, and since it is majority black, it is assumed that there aren't any white people.

But, looking at wikipedia, you still have 27% white people in PG.

Additionally, PG is actually quite wealthy....and I get the impression it would mostly be from the black families (or individuals). I'd assume wealthy and white would probably be in MoCo or Fairfax or somewhere.

That being said, there is apparently a lot of NOT wealthy black families or individuals as well...at least thats way everyone describes PG.

Nontheless, amongst all of that going on. You DO have white people throughout PG. Where are they? WHat are they doing?

Are they way out on the rural fringes...happily doing whatever they've always been doing?

Are a large portion of them actually linked to the University of Maryland, and simply there on a temporary basis.

Are a lot of them little old ladies and older gentleman...who got stuck there as everything around them has changed demographically in their lifetimes?

Are they gentrifying souls. Are they working class? Are they 'liberals trying to make a difference' with whatever that entails - and I am not sure myself. Or are they just people who see good value for a buck?

Nontheless, what's the story with the white people of PG County?

Also, since I get the impression that at least half of the posters are AA themselves on here...where would you recommend a white person looking at PG County as a potential destination, to move to? I'm thinking the northern PG county area closest to MoCo....but curious if there are any surprise places I've overlooked...and why you recommend those particular places? (Also, not thinking of distant rural PG destinations - but the closer to DC the better).

(I'm white, in case someone was curious).
I quit reading after your comment that makes NO sense at all, "and since it is majority black, it is assumed that there aren't any white people."

"majority" does NOT make people "assume" there are NONE.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-29-2017, 02:21 PM
 
Location: todo el mundo!!
1,615 posts, read 1,609,332 times
Reputation: 1217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
I quit reading after your comment that makes NO sense at all, "and since it is majority black, it is assumed that there aren't any white people."

"majority" does NOT make people "assume" there are NONE.
Im sure he cares after 5 years
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2019, 08:50 AM
 
8 posts, read 13,873 times
Reputation: 59
I am African American and am very glad to see this question asked. It is time to get it out in the open: whites fear sometimes living in an African American community, largely because of the hysteria generated by the uninformed media. I teach and research history. Here are my learnings.

There are anywhere from 250,000 to 300,000 whites living in Prince George's County, according to census data from the last census. May be more now. To understand who they are and where they live, you have to understand more about the history of Prince George's, Anne Arundel, and Calvert Counties.

Contrary to the current views, Prince George's County was historically where the wealthy lived outside of Washington DC. His Lordship's Kindness is an historic mansion that still is in Upper Marlboro/Clinton area and for years had a hostess who entertained the wealthy who came in from Washington, D.C., including George Washington. Up until modern times, Washington DC was not a desirable place to live to the wealthy. Those who were forced to work there due to government duties, endured the swampy, fever-ridden, mosquito-plagued conditions during the 18th and 19th centuries, but those of means maintained true and country homes in the the surrounding counties of Northern VA and Prince George's (e.g. Washington in Mount Vernon).

Prince George's for many years had several historic mansions and tobacco plantations, the remnants of which form the name of many of its communities. In almost every neighborhood, hidden mansions exist and come up for sale. (See historic register or any brokers who sell historic homes in Maryland). Wealthy whites who love history often start here searching for homes in these eastern counties, and you will find that they still live here. Downtown Upper Marlboro is a classic example. Mount Lubentia just sold. Sadly, someone has modernized its glorious interior to create an upscale day spa and retreat.

So the whites in Prince George's divide generally into 3 categories: "old money" Prince Georgians, who live largely in the rural-tier (area east of 301 and south of Route 50) in hidden, rural, neighborhoods where homes are sequestered in the trees and you can hardly see them from the road; Upper Marlboro, Croom, and Accokeek. Check the website of the Marlboro Hunt Club that used to populate the Marlboro country club and you will find the names. These families are still scattered around Prince Georges, Calvert and Southern Anne Arundel. They tend to keep the land and homes in the family or sell out to brokers. See them on any given Sunday at the Episcopal Churches of St. Barnabas, St. Thomas, St. Mary's or Trinity in Upper Marlboro. Watch the weddings held at these churches, for their beautifully blonde children tend to intermarry into this circle. Receptions are hidden in the woods at their homes or one of the mansions rented out my the MNC-PPC. These people rarely mingle with the blacks in Prince George's County nor whites who are not of their class. Their children used to go to Queen Anne Preparatory School before it closed; now they go to Severn, Archbishop Spalding, McNamara, Elizabeth Seton, or any of the private prep schools in WDC, Annapolis and Baltimore.

The second type of white person is a Washington government worker (middle-aged to older), UMD prof, or tech person (younger) and they live in the Beltsville, Riverdale, College Park, Greenbelt, and Bowie enclaves you have talked about. All have access to metro rather quickly, shops, stores, amenities, Whole Foods, Wegman's, etc. They have, and will continue, to live in Prince George's due to Eleanor Roosevelt's powerhouse high school, College Park's great charter school, and UMD services. The three particular enclaves they desire are University Park (wealthy profs), Greenbelt-on-the Lake (good luck! Homes almost never come up for sale there because they are affordable houses with backyards on the lake), and as mentioned by another, single families in north Bowie-Crofton-Greenbelt area.

The third type of white person is the modest income earner looking for a place to stay. But to be candid, there is not a lot for that person no matter what race he or she is, for other than the poorer inner beltway communities of Capitol Heights, Forestville, Temple Hills and some parts of Clinton, there is nothing for them. Prince George's average home is $400-000-600,000---still takes a good deal of cash to live in one. They live in townhouses or apartments in Bowie, College Park, Greenbelt, or Hyattsville. Or they buy a home in the older parts of those towns.

Which brings me to my final points. The biggest lie perpetrated on white people in the Washington DMV is that Prince George's is an overall poor or unsafe community. Statistics show that the crime rate in most neighborhoods in Prince George's County (which is huge and the inner beltway troubled communities most mentioned---Temple Hills, Suitland and Capitol Heights---are less than 15% of the county) is lower than Washington DC in every area. Prince Georgian's earn more and its home values are more than that of most Americans of every race in the nation. There are millionaire communities in Prince George's County: Woodmore behind the gate, Woodmore in general, William F. Beane arena, communities along Woodmore Road hidden in the woods, Queen Anne Estates, historic homes along Marlboro Pike, beach communities closer to Deale, Battersea on the Bay, river homes along Livingston and River Road in Fort Washington, National Harbor and private land along the Potomac (head toward Namenjoy). If you are rich and white---and not afraid to live next to an equally rich African American---there are plenty of homes for you in Prince George's. You need a broker that knows the hidden communities. Like all rich people, these communities and its brokers don't advertise because they candidly don't want just anyone in their neighborhoods. Brokers have a silent code---they know who to direct to these privileged areas. Want to know where to live anywhere? Ask or use Google to find out where the best performing broker in your county lives.

That said, it is easier to feel wealthy and buy more if you want a great home. $1.5 million in DC buys you a nice house packed on top of another person; that house may still need some reno. You will buy for that price what would be a $2 million dollar home in DC in Prince George's. You may even be lucky enough to get it for $850-900,000 in Prince George's. And you just might be on water.

That's my two cents. Happy searching. Trust your heart and your wallet. Prince George's is a great place to live.

Last edited by queenanne; 04-28-2019 at 09:08 AM.. Reason: grammatical errors and typos
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2019, 05:22 PM
 
170 posts, read 161,321 times
Reputation: 230
queenanne, I am very glad that you read these forums. We need more thoughtful posters such as yourself on here.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2019, 09:54 PM
 
44 posts, read 41,941 times
Reputation: 82
Well said, @queenanne!

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenanne View Post

The second type of white person is a Washington government worker (middle-aged to older), UMD prof, or tech person (younger) and they live in the Beltsville, Riverdale, College Park, Greenbelt, and Bowie enclaves you have talked about. All have access to metro rather quickly, shops, stores, amenities, Whole Foods, Wegman's, etc. They have, and will continue, to live in Prince George's due to Eleanor Roosevelt's powerhouse high school, College Park's great charter school, and UMD services. The three particular enclaves they desire are University Park (wealthy profs), Greenbelt-on-the Lake (good luck! Homes almost never come up for sale there because they are affordable houses with backyards on the lake), and as mentioned by another, single families in north Bowie-Crofton-Greenbelt area.
Yeah, that's pretty much us.

I ran the numbers, because that's the kind of thing slightly-nerdy white guys do. To live in a community that offers all the same benefits, with comparable schools, comparable home and yard size, similarly safe and convenient, but majority white... and have the same mortgage payment, that's an additional $77,000 down payment. That's a lot of money to **** away because black people make you uncomfortable.

Your type-2 could be broken out into two groups: the older folks tended to move here when it was white-flight enclave, and they're the ones who didn't cut and run when affluent black people moved in. The ones who couldn't stand the thought have already dashed out to Anne Arundel, Charles, or Howard County. The younger ones are like me - they thought the premium to live in other places made no sense. "You can either have this four bedroom house on a third of an acre, or this townhouse where you share walls and listen to your neighbors. They're the same price" "What's the catch?" "Well, there are educated, affluent black people living nearby." "Bring the fainting couch!"

Bowie is clean, well-managed and low crime. It has beautiful parks, convenient amenities, and is perfectly located (it's a 12 minute drive to the Metro, 20 minutes to downtown Annapolis, 15 minutes to Westfield Annapolis for Trader Joe's, Apple, etc.), and slightly longer shot up 97 to Baltimore. Is Capital Heights rough? Yeah. It's also closer to Georgetown and Arlington than it is to me. For all the hand-wringing, the schools are fine - my middle-schooler is succeeding here, with lots of friends, active in youth activities, and thriving in class.

Quote:
Which brings me to my final points. The biggest lie perpetrated on white people in the Washington DMV is that Prince George's is an overall poor or unsafe community.
From DC and inner NOVA, Bowie, Upper Marlboro, Mitchellville, etc. are as distant as Reston, Chantilly, and Centreville. In those areas, PG means the parts of Maryland that are adjacent to the poorest, most blighted parts of DC (the ones that are left, at least). Locality means a lot - if you live in NOVA, DC's front lawn faces you - the Mall, Monuments, and Georgetown are the "face" of DC. I'd wager that people in NOVA have a different overall perception of DC that we do, just because of that - they don't drive through miles of 295 through wards 7 and 8 on their way to the Monuments.

I hesitated to even post this, because I know how some folks love to troll this forum. Thanks for your reply!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2019, 08:24 AM
 
12 posts, read 14,238 times
Reputation: 18
I moved into Fort Washington (I'm white) due to the "value proposition." I didn't take the demographics of the area into account. Why should I? I'm originally from Hampton Roads and grew up around black people.


Relative to property values in the metro DC area, I found it affordable. I like my neighbors very much, they are such great people. The neighborhood is great. I lament the traffic on 210, lackluster reputation of the local schools, and Marylandish stuff I don't like (can't buy beer in the supermarket, taxes, gun laws) but other than that, it's been great.


Here's one way prejudice reveals itself: you put something for sale on FB Marketplace or Craigslist and as soon as you say you are in PG County, all of the sudden the buyer is not interested. It's ridiculous. And I have no doubt these same people drive a Toyota Prius with a Hillary bumper sticker and say they love diversity. Yeah right. Seems nothing can break through the perception that PG = dangerous exurb. Their loss!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2019, 05:16 PM
 
3,723 posts, read 3,326,328 times
Reputation: 3161
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenanne View Post
I am African American and am very glad to see this question asked. It is time to get it out in the open: whites fear sometimes living in an African American community, largely because of the hysteria generated by the uninformed media. I teach and research history. Here are my learnings.

There are anywhere from 250,000 to 300,000 whites living in Prince George's County, according to census data from the last census. May be more now. To understand who they are and where they live, you have to understand more about the history of Prince George's, Anne Arundel, and Calvert Counties.

Contrary to the current views, Prince George's County was historically where the wealthy lived outside of Washington DC. His Lordship's Kindness is an historic mansion that still is in Upper Marlboro/Clinton area and for years had a hostess who entertained the wealthy who came in from Washington, D.C., including George Washington. Up until modern times, Washington DC was not a desirable place to live to the wealthy. Those who were forced to work there due to government duties, endured the swampy, fever-ridden, mosquito-plagued conditions during the 18th and 19th centuries, but those of means maintained true and country homes in the the surrounding counties of Northern VA and Prince George's (e.g. Washington in Mount Vernon).

Prince George's for many years had several historic mansions and tobacco plantations, the remnants of which form the name of many of its communities. In almost every neighborhood, hidden mansions exist and come up for sale. (See historic register or any brokers who sell historic homes in Maryland). Wealthy whites who love history often start here searching for homes in these eastern counties, and you will find that they still live here. Downtown Upper Marlboro is a classic example. Mount Lubentia just sold. Sadly, someone has modernized its glorious interior to create an upscale day spa and retreat.

So the whites in Prince George's divide generally into 3 categories: "old money" Prince Georgians, who live largely in the rural-tier (area east of 301 and south of Route 50) in hidden, rural, neighborhoods where homes are sequestered in the trees and you can hardly see them from the road; Upper Marlboro, Croom, and Accokeek. Check the website of the Marlboro Hunt Club that used to populate the Marlboro country club and you will find the names. These families are still scattered around Prince Georges, Calvert and Southern Anne Arundel. They tend to keep the land and homes in the family or sell out to brokers. See them on any given Sunday at the Episcopal Churches of St. Barnabas, St. Thomas, St. Mary's or Trinity in Upper Marlboro. Watch the weddings held at these churches, for their beautifully blonde children tend to intermarry into this circle. Receptions are hidden in the woods at their homes or one of the mansions rented out my the MNC-PPC. These people rarely mingle with the blacks in Prince George's County nor whites who are not of their class. Their children used to go to Queen Anne Preparatory School before it closed; now they go to Severn, Archbishop Spalding, McNamara, Elizabeth Seton, or any of the private prep schools in WDC, Annapolis and Baltimore.

The second type of white person is a Washington government worker (middle-aged to older), UMD prof, or tech person (younger) and they live in the Beltsville, Riverdale, College Park, Greenbelt, and Bowie enclaves you have talked about. All have access to metro rather quickly, shops, stores, amenities, Whole Foods, Wegman's, etc. They have, and will continue, to live in Prince George's due to Eleanor Roosevelt's powerhouse high school, College Park's great charter school, and UMD services. The three particular enclaves they desire are University Park (wealthy profs), Greenbelt-on-the Lake (good luck! Homes almost never come up for sale there because they are affordable houses with backyards on the lake), and as mentioned by another, single families in north Bowie-Crofton-Greenbelt area.

The third type of white person is the modest income earner looking for a place to stay. But to be candid, there is not a lot for that person no matter what race he or she is, for other than the poorer inner beltway communities of Capitol Heights, Forestville, Temple Hills and some parts of Clinton, there is nothing for them. Prince George's average home is $400-000-600,000---still takes a good deal of cash to live in one. They live in townhouses or apartments in Bowie, College Park, Greenbelt, or Hyattsville. Or they buy a home in the older parts of those towns.

Which brings me to my final points. The biggest lie perpetrated on white people in the Washington DMV is that Prince George's is an overall poor or unsafe community. Statistics show that the crime rate in most neighborhoods in Prince George's County (which is huge and the inner beltway troubled communities most mentioned---Temple Hills, Suitland and Capitol Heights---are less than 15% of the county) is lower than Washington DC in every area. Prince Georgian's earn more and its home values are more than that of most Americans of every race in the nation. There are millionaire communities in Prince George's County: Woodmore behind the gate, Woodmore in general, William F. Beane arena, communities along Woodmore Road hidden in the woods, Queen Anne Estates, historic homes along Marlboro Pike, beach communities closer to Deale, Battersea on the Bay, river homes along Livingston and River Road in Fort Washington, National Harbor and private land along the Potomac (head toward Namenjoy). If you are rich and white---and not afraid to live next to an equally rich African American---there are plenty of homes for you in Prince George's. You need a broker that knows the hidden communities. Like all rich people, these communities and its brokers don't advertise because they candidly don't want just anyone in their neighborhoods. Brokers have a silent code---they know who to direct to these privileged areas. Want to know where to live anywhere? Ask or use Google to find out where the best performing broker in your county lives.

That said, it is easier to feel wealthy and buy more if you want a great home. $1.5 million in DC buys you a nice house packed on top of another person; that house may still need some reno. You will buy for that price what would be a $2 million dollar home in DC in Prince George's. You may even be lucky enough to get it for $850-900,000 in Prince George's. And you just might be on water.

That's my two cents. Happy searching. Trust your heart and your wallet. Prince George's is a great place to live.
Great analysis. Nice that you brought up the old money rural white's, that's probably the most forgotten group in PG County. I'm glad people are becoming less ignorant to the county as a whole.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2019, 07:44 AM
 
170 posts, read 161,321 times
Reputation: 230
I'm Asian (non-Filipino) and I live in Fort Washington. Aside from the terrible public schools, terrible road infrastructure, and poor commercial developments, this place is a great place to live relative to anywhere else. The diversity here is great. Just the other day there was a Thai Festival literally occurring 1 mile from my house. When I walk in one of the three National Parks within 3 miles of my proximity, there are patrons of all racial groups enjoying the weather in harmony. There is pride in the community here, more so than I see from the DC exurbs.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2019, 09:18 AM
 
128 posts, read 117,033 times
Reputation: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricLights View Post
Here's one way prejudice reveals itself: you put something for sale on FB Marketplace or Craigslist and as soon as you say you are in PG County, all of the sudden the buyer is not interested. It's ridiculous. And I have no doubt these same people drive a Toyota Prius with a Hillary bumper sticker and say they love diversity. Yeah right. Seems nothing can break through the perception that PG = dangerous exurb. Their loss!
Not everyone is driving a Toyota Prius with a Hillary (and faded Obama) bumper sticker. A friend of mine who used to live in PG County until his passing was taking care of/"watching" a widow's property while she was away on travel. I went with him while on a visit. He said the woman's husband was shot dead. The husband put an ad in Craigslist to sell a fancy watch. A guy from DC responded and they agreed to meet at the couple's place. The DC guy shot him dead. So, it cuts both ways.

PG County police could set up Craigslist buyer-seller meetup spots in front of police stations, with cameras rolling to protect everyone. They have done this in other places.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2019, 09:21 AM
 
128 posts, read 117,033 times
Reputation: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalux View Post
I'm Asian (non-Filipino) and I live in Fort Washington. Aside from the terrible public schools, terrible road infrastructure, and poor commercial developments, this place is a great place to live relative to anywhere else. The diversity here is great. Just the other day there was a Thai Festival literally occurring 1 mile from my house. When I walk in one of the three National Parks within 3 miles of my proximity, there are patrons of all racial groups enjoying the weather in harmony. There is pride in the community here, more so than I see from the DC exurbs.
There's a great park near there across from George Washington's estate on the Virginia side of the Potomac. It's great walking along the river. They have a colonial farm, complete with breeds of farm animals that they had back in 1700's America.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top