Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2011, 03:00 PM

2 posts, read 8,789 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to purchase a house in Fort Washington either in the Fort Foote Rd loop or down further in the Tantillon area. Ft. Washington seems too far to drive to the Branch Ave metro so the only option I see besides driving to downtown DC is taking the P17-P18-P19 bus. If anyone here rides this bus - how long does it take? Is it safe? It goes through some rougher areas but is it mostly commuters or do a lot of kids take it? I'll be trying it myself before I make a move but I wanted to get some others opinions. Thanks-a-lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 06:35 PM

175 posts, read 649,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeMonkey411 View Post
I'm looking to purchase a house in Fort Washington either in the Fort Foote Rd loop or down further in the Tantillon area. Ft. Washington seems too far to drive to the Branch Ave metro so the only option I see besides driving to downtown DC is taking the P17-P18-P19 bus. If anyone here rides this bus - how long does it take? Is it safe? It goes through some rougher areas but is it mostly commuters or do a lot of kids take it? I'll be trying it myself before I make a move but I wanted to get some others opinions. Thanks-a-lot.
I took the exact same bus on my way back from denison landscaping in FW. Its not that bad in my opinion it usually takes about half hour/hour. Sorry man, your not going to find a bus from your destination or anywhere coming to dc "safe" its all about watchng yourself your kids and your stuff, and mabie your spouse. Try the route, see how you feel about it and go from there.

Good luck

Old 03-10-2011, 06:37 PM

12 posts, read 23,541 times
Its mostly commuters on the P17 and P19, but a mix of everyone on the P18 since is local and doesn't go all the way downtown (P18 stops at Anacostia while the P17/P19 go all the to Farragut Square). Yes they do travel through rough parts of the city, but you should be fine. In case you are wondering, nearly all of the passengers who ride these routes are black. The P18 can get wild but don't be afraid to ride it.

Old 03-10-2011, 09:34 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,914,821 times
Quote:
I'm confused by the area off of Fort Foote Road being a long way? If you buy a place there, you could cut through traffic by going down Kerby Hill Road all the way down to the 210 light and you would only have one light to get pass until you get to 95. At worst that is a 20 minute drive. I don't see what's wrong with that especially considering it would probably be about 10-15 minutes faster than taking the bus.

Now if you moved to Tantallon that's a different story. Depending on how far down you are the commute can be brutal. My wife usually takes the W15 and the D14 which goes close to the same area and usually there are commuters on there, but she always tells me that the people change up after a certain time in the evening so take that for what it is.

Old 03-11-2011, 04:19 PM

165 posts, read 527,364 times
I rode the P19- P17 routes daily for many years, before I retired in 2006. At that time, there was heavy congestion every morning around the 210/495 interchange, causing long delays. Hopefully this situation has been fixed by now by the new Oxon Hill Road underpass there???

P19 and P17 operate basically during rush-hour and serve only riders living outside the Beltway, who are very respectable middle-class crowd. You won't find any D.C. residents on there. The P18 operates during mid-day and starts/ends at Anacostia Station, and because (I think) it also serves the stops along South Capitol Street, it has a few inner-city passengers but not too many.

If you have a car available and can park at the large lot (across from National Harbor), you will save a few minutes over catching the bus by your house, since at the parking lot you will be able to catch BOTH the p17 or P19, whichever comes first when you get there. On the other hand, since that's the last boarding stop in the morning, you may have standing room only.

Old 03-11-2011, 06:53 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,914,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane2 View Post
I rode the P19- P17 routes daily for many years, before I retired in 2006. At that time, there was heavy congestion every morning around the 210/495 interchange, causing long delays. Hopefully this situation has been fixed by now by the new Oxon Hill Road underpass there???
It has been much much better since they change the intersection. Once you get pass Kerby Hill there is virtually no traffic because the Wilson Bridge light rarely turns red. Traffic flows much better at that point so if the OP can cut through to Kerby Hill, they would have passed the traffic.

Old 03-14-2011, 11:36 PM

449 posts, read 1,170,874 times
Quote:
The P17 is pretty safe/ quick ride to downtown.

When I was still living at my mother's house off Fort Foote Road, I used to catch the P17 from Le'Fant Plaza often.

Will get you to the park N ride parking lot (by the national harbor) quickly from downtown
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland