U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2007, 12:52 PM

1 posts, read 3,023 times

Advertisements

I took a new job in Silver Spring and am really worried about finding affordable (suitable) housing in a decent school district with a bearable commute.

I have to move by Sept 1 '07

HELP!!!!!

I have a daughter starting high school, two dogs and a school teacher wife (ESOL Certified).

I would like to rent a townhouse near a METRO station but I am totally lost.

I have heard Rockville and Germantown are OK but the NOVA is too far and that the Schools in silver spring are not optimal.

Suggestions/comments?

Note: I make less than 100K and already have a mortgage on our beach house. I can afford about 2K/mo ..

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2007, 02:53 PM

222 posts, read 960,991 times
Don't throw out the idea of Silver Spring yet. There are MANY nice areas in Silver Spring, and you should be able to find a 3 br house/townhouse for rent at about 2k. Your wife should check into Montgomery Co PS - they are in their usual hiring frenzy, and ESOL is usually a need in the area. I grew up in the area, and the high schools are pretty good. In fact most MontCo high schools are very good, and if you live down county your daughter has some choice:

Good Luck! Check out Craig's List for rentals (or MLS to buy) and come here if you need to know about neighborhoods.

Old 08-01-2007, 08:23 PM

9 posts, read 34,135 times
Koofie is correct, there are some good rental opportunities in Silver Spring. Also some areas of Rockville, Kensington, N. Bethesda would be good, there are several townhouses in Derwood near the Shady Grove Metro - depends on what you consider "near a Metro station" (walk, bus, or drive to) and your bedroom/space requirements. The real challenge will be the dogs !!

Old 08-02-2007, 05:38 AM

551 posts, read 1,666,036 times
The metro trip from western Montgomery County is a long one -- the problem is it is not direct, you would go all the way into DC and then head back out to Maryland again. I suggest you check out the closer schools before you rule them out -- there are a lot of good students and good teachers at all montgomery county schools. By the way, Germantown is VERY far and I don't think the schools would be any better than closer in.

Old 08-02-2007, 06:04 AM

222 posts, read 960,991 times
One of the reasons the "downcounty" schools get a bad rap is that there is a much larger population of low SES (socio-economic status) kids. A general trend all over the country is that the lower the SES on average, the lower the test scores. This is a general rule, of course. There are many exceptions. The kids are still smart and nice, and the schools are often still good, but there is often less ability for the parents to be involved (many work multiple jobs, single parents, ect). The neat thing about MoCo schools is that they are very diverse, and kids are able to meet people from all walks of life. I remember when I went to Blair, the school was about 30% white, 30% black, and the last 30+% was made up of EVERYTHING else, and I do mean everything. You could meet people from just about any background. It was fun. The school was said to be bad, with the magnet kids holding the scores up, but that isn't completely true. Many of my friends (including myself) had great scores and were non-magnet.

Sorry for the ramble. I always feel like I need to defend the area I grew up in to people who don't yet have experience living there! Numbers and statics don't show the true colors
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland