Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2011, 08:30 AM

4 posts, read 8,928 times

Advertisements

My family may be moving to the Silver Spring area this summer. We will probably rent an apartment for at least 3 months or until we find the right home. I've been looking at real estate sites and searching by zip code and it's become overwhelming. I know once we get there in June and start looking it will be easier, but I'd like to be focused Please provide suggestions based on -

- My husband's job would be in Silver Springs and I would look for work in the area.
- We'd like to be a one-car family and we enjoy neighborhoods with an urban (vs. suburban) feel, so access to the metro, as well as restaurants are important.
- I have two kids - middle school and high school. A good school is important for my kids and, of course, future resale. But having the "top" school is not critical. The reviews for Springbrook High School on Trulia reflect what we'd want: diversity, inclusive, yet still challenging. But it seems like living in that school's zipcode would take us into a more suburban environment and make us car-dependent.
- We'd look for a 3-bed condo or townhouse in the range of $270-350K. We'd only go near the top of that range if we thought we'd get a killer deal.
- Last, we may move in the future (not before 2-3 years), possibly overseas. We'd like to keep this property as a rental or as a home for our older child who will be off to college in a few years.

Thanks ahead of time for any thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2011, 09:15 AM

146 posts, read 374,658 times
I would look into the neighborhood areas immediately surrounding silver spring inside the belt way. Some really nice housing stock there

Old 05-20-2011, 07:07 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
I would recommmend the 20902 zip code (Wheaton and the Georgia Avenue corridor). There are plenty of single family homes and TH's in your price range. Most of the zip code would be near Ride-on buses which will bring you to a Metro stop. Some TH/condos are within walking distance to the Wheaton or Glenmont Metro stop. There are many different schools in the zip code, but there are many magnet school programs for kids with specialized interests. The shopping is mostly accessible by bus. There are lots of good ethnic restaurants. As you can read, its a diverse but very interesting area.

Last edited by goldenage1; 05-20-2011 at 07:30 PM..

Old 05-20-2011, 09:14 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,235,690 times
You cannot live in an urban environment with good transit access and at the same time get a 3 bedroom condo or townhouse in the DC area for $350,000.

Old 05-21-2011, 06:34 AM

5 posts, read 6,667 times
Try the condos in forest glen, just outside the beltway. Americana finnmark. It's close to downtown silver spring, there is a metro stop next to it, and the beltway is very close. The area is nice, and it should fit in your budget. The high school that serves that area is Einstein.

Old 05-24-2011, 06:59 PM

19 posts, read 81,748 times
First things first, the area is never called Silver Springs by anyone who lives here, it is always Silver Spring. If you want urban, metro access, and walkable the only area that really fits is downtown Silver Spring and your price range is simply not realistic for that area. I did a quick search and the best I could find were two bedroom condos at the very top end of your price range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland