U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Preference (considering downtowns themselves plus DC proximity added in)
Downtown Falls Church 6 37.50%
Downtown College Park 4 25.00%
Downtown Frederick 6 37.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 11:29 PM

15,945 posts, read 36,154,437 times

Advertisements

All three of these seem interesting to me, downtown Falls Church, downtown Frederick, and downtown College Park. How would you compare them, which would you prefer, etc.?

I assume that College Park has the least to offer. But, it does seem there is some things built up there, and close proximity to whatever is offered at the University of Maryland - College Park. Plus, lower costs compared to anywhere in NoVA...and closer proximity to DC.

Falls Church, certainly the most expensive of the three. Not sure what the people would be like. What are Falls Church people like anyways?

Frederick, would probably be the best as far as downtowns go. Probably by large margins. But, further away from DC jobs.

So, while Frederick would have the best downtown, the other two might make up for it lesser downtowns, but closer proximity to Washington DC which would make up for it.

Taking that into consideration...which would you prefer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2011, 02:50 PM

9,397 posts, read 13,686,021 times
Probably Frederick. I've never been to downtown Falls Church. Downtown CP is meh... it is sad compared to other excellent college towns. We have two ****ing bars for crying out loud!

Old 05-15-2011, 08:27 AM

5,071 posts, read 8,638,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
All three of these seem interesting to me, downtown Falls Church, downtown Frederick, and downtown College Park. How would you compare them, which would you prefer, etc.?

I assume that College Park has the least to offer. But, it does seem there is some things built up there, and close proximity to whatever is offered at the University of Maryland - College Park. Plus, lower costs compared to anywhere in NoVA...and closer proximity to DC.

Falls Church, certainly the most expensive of the three. Not sure what the people would be like. What are Falls Church people like anyways?

Frederick, would probably be the best as far as downtowns go. Probably by large margins. But, further away from DC jobs.

So, while Frederick would have the best downtown, the other two might make up for it lesser downtowns, but closer proximity to Washington DC which would make up for it.

Taking that into consideration...which would you prefer?
You answered your own question.

If you don't need to travel to DC regularly, Frederick is the easy choice. If you plan to commute into DC, Falls Church is the obvious winner.

CP is only worth considering if you will be studying or working on the U. Md campus. As others have noted, it's a place with a university close by, not a "college town" like Ann Arbor, Madison, or even Morgantown.

Old 05-15-2011, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
You answered your own question.

If you don't need to travel to DC regularly, Frederick is the easy choice. If you plan to commute into DC, Falls Church is the obvious winner.

CP is only worth considering if you will be studying or working on the U. Md campus. As others have noted, it's a place with a university close by, not a "college town" like Ann Arbor, Madison, or even Morgantown.
I think a few attractive things about College Park is it is very cheap to buy housing. Like similar prices to what others are driving out there for 90 minutes one way to find.

Plus, I'd imagine there are some activities on campus....film festivals or cultural events or something. Plus some local college radio stations...which are quite eclectic. So, even if the city offered nothing, there's still something.

Those types of things make me think that College Park might be a place to consider.

----

But otherwise, Falls Church does seem to offer the best world, just at the highest cost.

Last edited by Tiger Beer; 05-15-2011 at 09:38 AM..

Old 05-15-2011, 09:59 AM

7 posts, read 53,095 times
I'm currently living in north CP (not downtown) but I would like to say that it is a great location in terms of getting places. We're close to the Beltway, 95N, Metro stations, and there's the UMD buses and Metro buses available. DC is a few miles down Rt.1, very easy to get to. Also there's downtown Riverdale and the revitalized Hyattsville area nearby as well as historic Greenbelt in the other direction. UMD offers a lot of cultural arts as well as the football and basketball games. IKEA is right here too.

Old 05-15-2011, 04:17 PM

5,071 posts, read 8,638,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I think a few attractive things about College Park is it is very cheap to buy housing. Like similar prices to what others are driving out there for 90 minutes one way to find.

Plus, I'd imagine there are some activities on campus....film festivals or cultural events or something. Plus some local college radio stations...which are quite eclectic. So, even if the city offered nothing, there's still something.

Those types of things make me think that College Park might be a place to consider.

----

But otherwise, Falls Church does seem to offer the best world, just at the highest cost.
Not sure if you realize it, but Frederick does have a small college (Hood College), so there's a bit of that going on there.

I hear you about the housing in CP. I've seen a few neat little Cape Cods there, but overall the housing stock is pretty unattractive compared to Falls Church or Frederick.

On the other hand, if I recall, you're big on ethnic food, and there's a fair number of Asian places in Wheaton and Silver Spring.

Old 05-16-2011, 07:37 AM

195 posts, read 400,694 times
Look down Route 1 from College Park a mile or so. Hyattsville is a great little town. There's a lot of older housing stock, mostly from between the wars, as well as the newer EYA development along Route 1. Plus, if you're talking about jobs in DC, Hyattsville is a snap to get into the city via the Green Line, MARC train (in neighboring Riverdale Park) or various bus routes.

Old 05-16-2011, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel_eric View Post
I'm currently living in north CP (not downtown) but I would like to say that it is a great location in terms of getting places. We're close to the Beltway, 95N, Metro stations, and there's the UMD buses and Metro buses available. DC is a few miles down Rt.1, very easy to get to. Also there's downtown Riverdale and the revitalized Hyattsville area nearby as well as historic Greenbelt in the other direction. UMD offers a lot of cultural arts as well as the football and basketball games. IKEA is right here too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCR25 View Post
Look down Route 1 from College Park a mile or so. Hyattsville is a great little town. There's a lot of older housing stock, mostly from between the wars, as well as the newer EYA development along Route 1. Plus, if you're talking about jobs in DC, Hyattsville is a snap to get into the city via the Green Line, MARC train (in neighboring Riverdale Park) or various bus routes.
Granted this is posted in this MD forum, but it is nice to see some good plugs/support for CP.

Granted 'downtown' CP probably doesn't have anything in particular. But the culumlative CP sounds interesting. As does Hyattsville. The entire northern PG area seems like an interesting underrated area with affordable prices, a great location, and just completely off most people's radar maps.

In short, I can't take it off my list. I've basically narrowed it down to if I were to move to the DMV area, these three locations would be highest on the list Falls Church being the most desireable but most expensive. CP being the best 'affordable proximity' option, and Frederick being the removed urban affordable 'city'.

Old 05-16-2011, 10:43 AM

1,652 posts, read 3,408,826 times
TB, you NEED to come here before you spend more time being so nit-picky about where you intend to live (no offense intended whatsoever, believe me.. I just really don't think you should commit to something with rose-colored glasses on and then be miserable once you move there; it's happened to the best of us). There's only so much that Google Maps, talking to people on C-D, whatever can tell you.

That said, Franklin's is a cool restaurant/shop (and AFAIK they've ironed out a few of the 'misses' on their menu by now [e.g., portebello mushroom burger with RAW, stinky portobello!]):

http://www.franklinsbrewery.com/

Old 05-16-2011, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Bradley View Post
TB, you NEED to come here before you spend more time being so nit-picky about where you intend to live (no offense intended whatsoever, believe me.. I just really don't think you should commit to something with rose-colored glasses on and then be miserable once you move there; it's happened to the best of us). There's only so much that Google Maps, talking to people on C-D, whatever can tell you.
True...and that's just it, once actually seeing it, everything goes 'out the window'

But I like researching by nature...if not this, than something else.

But if I were to drive around in these or any other neighborhoods, I'm sure all of my opinions would change...so any impression I get now, I'll be quick to realize I might be dismissing upon experiencing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland