U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2013, 05:58 PM

829 posts, read 752,550 times

Advertisements

Look at Howard County, better public schools (more blue ribbon schools), nice houses though more expensive and close to DC and Baltimore. Do your research on both Howard and PG, see what you find.

PG is not bad, the public schools are problematic, a lot of kids are in catholic schools, but you can find a nice house for under 400K and sometimes under 300K. Most of the blacks in PG work for govt contractors, govt employees or school system. There is a more 'southern' feel to PG county, but it is the south. Brandywine, upper Marlboro, bowie, Accokeek, fort Washington, laurel, greenbelt, Adelphi, Clinton, temple hills are all nice areas, sure there are more.

The social scene is what you like. There are a lot of nice restaurants and clubs in both cities, both cities have harbors. PG being closer to DC you will access to a lot more of everything.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2013, 02:30 PM

513 posts, read 673,224 times
Whenever I go into bmore to visit my two rowhouse investment homes, I am strapped. Very dangerous area with dudes walking around the block 5 or 6 deep with scowls on their faces at all times of the day. And the people in the neighborhood know I am the italian looking guy who is strapped. So if they want to have to shoot out we can shoot it out.

PG County is tame in comparison. I worked at a GOVT office in suitland and visit the little hoody restaurants daily and was never threatened or mugged.

Old 09-09-2013, 07:13 AM

1,196 posts, read 1,708,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcleanexec View Post
Whenever I go into bmore to visit my two rowhouse investment homes, I am strapped. Very dangerous area with dudes walking around the block 5 or 6 deep with scowls on their faces at all times of the day. And the people in the neighborhood know I am the italian looking guy who is strapped. So if they want to have to shoot out we can shoot it out.

PG County is tame in comparison. I worked at a GOVT office in suitland and visit the little hoody restaurants daily and was never threatened or mugged.
PG is soft compared to Baltimore...

Old 09-09-2013, 04:28 PM

1,597 posts, read 2,838,276 times
Default boredatwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahatma X View Post
ok...why because they kill each other at a higher rate...

Old 09-09-2013, 07:16 PM

6,212 posts, read 5,859,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boreatwork View Post
ok...why because they kill each other at a higher rate...
I wonder why he's still here though I didn't know high crime rates were a badge of honor. But I guess that's how his mind really works I suppose. Whatever boy.

Old 03-27-2015, 07:25 AM

1 posts, read 550 times
Baltimore sucks. It has no culture and a ****ty personality. Everyone is nice to your face but will manipulate you for a buck. I have been in Baltimore for 5 years and it's easily been the worst 5 of my life. I was born and raised in Brooklyn NY when crack was taking over. Baltimore is like being in the 70's the only difference is that nobody wants to change the city for the better. If you even read a book people look at you like you're some pretentious prick. PG has culture, personality and even a public transportation system! PG is more of a cultured city than Baltimore will ever be. I apologize to the good people that Baltimore has but I have never had a good experience. I have lived in East Balto (1400 Blk Montford), Brooklyn (Maude/6th), Harlem Park (700 Gilmor), Edmonston Village (Melbourne Rd) and even Locust Point on Cooksie Street!! I think it's safe to say I have exhausted my options here and have a valid opinion towards the downward spiral of hate that is Bmore. Sorry bmorefella, you seem smart and an overall good person from your posts that sets a good example for our youth. My intention was not to offend you.

Old 03-27-2015, 10:32 AM

4,877 posts, read 4,072,979 times
"Culturally Baltimore has a city attitude and more northern"

*More northern??!! I disagree!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boreatwork View Post
1. Culturally Baltimore has a city attitude and more northern. Pg is more suburban and laid back and can be city centric or southern type. Bmore is a city so I cant say if pg has more things to do but has a wayyy larger social scene

2. Demographicall Bmore city is 64% black with 640,000ppl PG is 62% black with 860,000. I believe pg has as much AA as Bmore city and county together..Theres alot of AA in Bmore but I dont know about exclusive middle upper class neighborhoods except for Randallstown or Woodlawn. Pg has the working class, middle-class, upper-middle, and upper-upper class all within majority black neighborhoods and is the most wealthy county with an AA majority so yea....

3. Crime in Bmore is about the drug trade and gangs. If you dont do either of the two then rarely will you be a victim and is majority in the obviously run down parts of the city not the county. Crime in pg is about neighborhood beef and robbery. The rule of thumb is that its majority inside the beltway of 495 closer to DC. All in all you should be fine if you arent in the streets

4. Schools.. know nothing of Bmore schools. Pg schools house kids from all demographic so its all social classes mixing which presents its problems. However its easy to succeed as anywhere else. When compared to other schools I see no inferiority just more issues. Whatever pg schools are lacking theres an abundance in other experiences which kids from other schools dont have. I went to school in Baltimore and everyone knew who the "pg" kids were from the slang to the style of dress.
5. Baltimore is far more affordable. $600 will get a something not too shabby in Bmore county whereas $600 wont even get you a studio apt in the most murderous apartment complex in PG county. But you have to pay to play in PG

There is def a difference in mindsets in the 2 places

Old 03-27-2015, 10:35 AM

I respect comments from New Yorkers more than I hold comments from anyone else.

My grandfather was from Brooklyn, NY and moved to Baltimore in 1963. The only reason he moved to Baltimore, was that my grandmother relocated here from Philly after 1947. He rarely had nice things to say about Baltimore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNomadMan View Post
Baltimore sucks. It has no culture and a ****ty personality. Everyone is nice to your face but will manipulate you for a buck. I have been in Baltimore for 5 years and it's easily been the worst 5 of my life. I was born and raised in Brooklyn NY when crack was taking over. Baltimore is like being in the 70's the only difference is that nobody wants to change the city for the better. If you even read a book people look at you like you're some pretentious prick. PG has culture, personality and even a public transportation system! PG is more of a cultured city than Baltimore will ever be. I apologize to the good people that Baltimore has but I have never had a good experience. I have lived in East Balto (1400 Blk Montford), Brooklyn (Maude/6th), Harlem Park (700 Gilmor), Edmonston Village (Melbourne Rd) and even Locust Point on Cooksie Street!! I think it's safe to say I have exhausted my options here and have a valid opinion towards the downward spiral of hate that is Bmore. Sorry bmorefella, you seem smart and an overall good person from your posts that sets a good example for our youth. My intention was not to offend you.

Old 03-27-2015, 10:36 AM

"It has no culture and a ****ty personality.."

*Baltimore has culture, but it's centered around Old Bay Seasoning, high grade heroin and black ignorance and white racism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNomadMan View Post

Old 03-27-2015, 02:23 PM

453 posts, read 561,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahatma X View Post
You need to calm down with that.....PG county goes hard just like Baltimore....the only thing different is PG county has MORE educated black than Bmore
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland