U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-09-2011, 01:16 PM

2 posts, read 3,633 times
Default Advice on community culture of Kensington-Parkwood and/or Woodmoor?? Where to buy a house? Please share advice

Community culture of Kensington-Parkwood or Woodmoor?? Where to buy a house? Please share advice - despite the long set up ……

In the next week, my husband and I are planning to put an offer on a house. I know I am asking an impossible question, but I hope with context folks can offer some insight on the culture of these two communities Kensington-Parkwood or Woodmoor. I’d greatly appreciate any feedback.

We hope to remain in our new home (first purchase!) for the next 10-15 years - until our kids (8 and 6) are out of high school. After that, we may stay or move to DC proper... not sure about that yet. And, with husband's industry, a move would not be inconceivable.0

Background - Husband and I both grew up in suburbs, went to solid public schools, college/grad school, and then lived/worked in NYC in the nonprofit sector. We are both white, different religions (catholic and jewish), and financially okay (phew). He works in DC (metro), I currently work from home. Our daughter ( spends most of her time on crafts and art stuff. This is our first home purchase. Our son (6) is more a smarty then a sports kid, though he is not anti-sports.

We are grateful and feel we are in a fortunate position to have these two awesome areas to choose from. However, we are having a hard time comprehending the nuances between the two communities.

Other major considerations (not necessarily in this order) are: location, solid schools, commute, price and community culture/fit. Community/Culture is our greatest area of uncertainty.

Location – We love that both are near parks/nature. As for the commute, not worried about this so much as husband is fine with either. Woodmoor would be a bit longer of a commute for him. Kensington would be faster to husband's work and to visit our aunt/uncle.

Schools - We have checked out the school data, talked to many parents/students and are okay with the public schools in both areas (though a bit more impressed with the Kensington cluster, which is Walter Johnson (Kensington-Parkwood ES, North Bethesda MS and Walter Johnson). Woodmoor is part of the Down County Consortium (Montgomery Knolls, Pine Crest, Blair).

Price - We have seen in each neighborhood a house that we like and can afford. Kensington is more of a stretch for us, but workable. Advice of a friend in real estate feels Kensington would be a better investment, which is not a bad thought in this economy and age of school and community budget cuts. But we don’t want to get too swayed by that b/c who knows what future offers may come and whether we will stay.

Culture – This is where we are less certain. Can anyone offer thoughts or impressions on the culture or vibe of those communities? Actual or perceived (though please indicate which).

We currently live near and have a vague sense of Woodmoor; we like the energy, which seems comfortable, welcoming and fun. Kensington seems nice as well, but we have not seen it up close as much. Because there appears to be more money in Kensington, are folks still down to earth, welcoming/accepting? Can anyone describe Kensington, specifically the Parkwood area?

I appreciate and look forward to any feedback! (also posted on DC Urban Moms)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2011, 02:12 PM

783 posts, read 1,516,768 times
^ lol...you will get way more responses on the other forum than on here. I saw your post and thought it looked familiar.....IMHO I would choose Kensington, however be sure to check the school zoning, Einst' vs BCC etc... As far as your commute, they both fairly comparable....

Old 06-10-2011, 03:16 PM

146 posts, read 199,700 times
snoburbia, the blog: full-on snoburbia

Funny blog about suburbs that includes most of kensington

Old 06-13-2011, 07:22 PM

433 posts, read 487,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diplomat74 View Post
snoburbia, the blog: full-on snoburbia

Funny blog about suburbs that includes most of kensington

I was going to mention that too !

Can't imagine the responses you got on DCUM. Must wander over there and see . . .

Old 06-13-2011, 09:34 PM

783 posts, read 1,516,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapper105 View Post
I was going to mention that too !

Can't imagine the responses you got on DCUM. Must wander over there and see . . .
34+ responses Where to buy - Kensington or Woodmoor

Old 06-14-2011, 10:53 AM

9 posts, read 14,698 times
Wow, I had never been to snoburbia before! Awesome site, the t-shirts are really cute. Glad I live in outer BFE (Calvert) than in outer snoburbia!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland