Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 09:00 AM

Location: Ft. Washington/Oxon Hill border, MD (Prince George's County)
321 posts, read 812,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2rock View Post
Do people looking for or living in 250K house really send their kid to private school?
For some private schools (especially Catholics) the cost is no greater than what many folks are already used to paying for daycare....so yep it is possible. Some people also qualify for financial aid to attend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2011, 12:21 PM

45,375 posts, read 60,561,367 times
A $250K house in this area is the norm not the exception.

Old 07-13-2011, 06:07 AM

409 posts, read 704,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatkins View Post
I'm sorry I disagree with this person. I don't think that commute is realistic. I live in Oxon Hill, I drop my daughter off at a daycare in Fort Washington and it takes me about 30-45 minutes to do all that and to get to work which is in Suitland. Put like this, 30-35 of those minutes, I'm trying to go with the traffic flow and get to Suitland. Then to add to it, 210 and I-295 are usually backed up in the mornings. There is no way you're making that trip in an hour and what's crazy is I take nothing but shortcuts too!
I *am* assuming that going up on the east side of the river would be about the same as going up route 1 through Old Town to Crystal city, so my estimate might be wrong there. But the part between more southern parts of Charles County and about Fort Washington usually flies, so it doesn't add that much to the commute.

It would be close, some days better and some days worse, but you're more likely to get everything else he wants down in Charles County.

Old 07-13-2011, 06:15 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,984,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteRJ View Post
I *am* assuming that going up on the east side of the river would be about the same as going up route 1 through Old Town to Crystal city, so my estimate might be wrong there. But the part between more southern parts of Charles County and about Fort Washington usually flies, so it doesn't add that much to the commute.

It would be close, some days better and some days worse, but you're more likely to get everything else he wants down in Charles County.

What time do you usually leave?

Old 07-30-2011, 10:18 AM

2 posts, read 2,931 times
Hi... Not sure if your interested, but I'm hoping to sell my house. I live in Fort Washington, MD. We live at the end of the street with woods that back to the house. It's a 3 bedroom and has three in half bathrooms. The sqquare footage above ground is a little over 2,000 and below is around 1,000. The basement is fully finished. It has a sunroom off the back door and a deck below it. We were going to sell it sooner, but really really don't want to short sale it (as that could affect my husbands clearance). My husband already moved to Japan two months ago, my son and I are hopng to follow soon. The house is in good condition, we have put a lot of work in to it. And the yard is huge, but on a down slope. I have no idea what the crime is or what the schools are like. But the area has been fine for us with no problems.

Old 07-30-2011, 10:27 AM

2 posts, read 2,931 times
I'm sorry I meant to mention my husband use to work at the Navy Yard in DC. You have to go past Bolling to get there. It use to take him about 20-30 mins in the am and maybe 30 mins in the pm to get home. But he left the house @ 5 AM and left work around 2 PM. The problem your going to hit is if you leave after 6 am or something it will take you forever to get any where because of traffic. Same as if you leave after 3 pm or 4 pm in the afternoon. Traffic is horrible out here. Also, we lived in Bowie for a year and we liked it there as well. We wanted to buy a house there, but couldn't find anything at the time. The commute would be a bit longer from there. It took my husband about 45 mins to get there back and forth without major traffic. Again he left early in the morning when he could. Bowie is really family friendly and animal friendly, I think. Anyway, I hope this helps.

Old 07-30-2011, 12:49 PM

10,611 posts, read 12,126,824 times
Quote:
Do a private (religious or non-religious) school for $8 to $10k a year like the rest of the non-black families that chose to live here for the homes/location but also did not want their kid to be 1-2% of the class in the public schools. Your children will have racial peers in neighborhood private schools of at least 10-40% of the class or you can send them across this bridge to the Alexandria private schools which do have bus service over here for $15-$25k a year if money is no object.
1) What's the likelihood of someone who's already looking to spend not more than 250-thou for a house in an area where that's damn tough, and not really realistic in the first place -- having money for a private school? Give me a break.

2) I'd LOVE some clarification. Is the issue of a (I'm presuming) white child being in a majority minority school about JUST race -- or is it because those minority schools may tend to be low performers.

I'l bet there are some low performing WHITE schools in this state too you know.

3) I'm NOT saying this is the case. But some white people would rather live in Appalachia with an outhouse, or a poor white neighborhood picking over crumbs, than live in wealthiest part of PG county just because it might be majority minority. Some people just can't see that poor is poor, and that's it's about ECONOMIC CLASS, not race.

Old 07-31-2011, 09:28 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,691,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
A $250K house in this area is the norm not the exception.
Which area? North Beach? You'd be hard-pressed to find $250K anywhere near (read: under 30 minutes of driving) DC that's not a ghetto.

Old 07-31-2011, 09:31 AM

45,375 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
Which area? North Beach? You'd be hard-pressed to find $250K anywhere near (read: under 30 minutes of driving) DC that's not a ghetto.

Should have added minimum.

Old 07-31-2011, 09:54 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,691,376 times
Ah, that's a bit more accurate then. Although just for fun I went to Trulia and checked out what one could buy for 300K... not a ton close to DC but one's options expand in Germantown, Frederick, Charles County and even North Beach!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland