Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 08:43 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,984,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotoutofDMV View Post
Along with what Khemistry says here, you really have to have grown up in PG County or at least been there awhile to have a real perspective on the county. Think of The Wire (aired on HBO 2002-2008). The only difference between PG County just south of the Beltway and The Wire is that the latter takes place in Baltimore.

I can only speak from my own experience which was awhile ago- I graduated from Eleanor Roosevelt High School in Greenbelt back in 1995 and must say that getting into the Science & Technology program not only probably saved my life but my education as well. I was living in Kettering at the time and slated to go to Largo High School, which as a white minority in PG County would have been an even worse extension of the torment I already suffered in PG elementary and middle schools.
Are there bad parts in PG? Sure, but the Wire? The Wire? Really? I think that is an extreme exaggeration.

Quote:
Being a racial minority in PG County flat-out sucks, due to the blatant racism against whites that no one talks about since racism is so highly regarded as being a "whites discriminating against everyone else" situation.

As to the pre-high school experience, this is my take on PG County- which, from all the news I have read/heard, it really hasn't gotten any better:

I grew up mostly in Whitfield Towne Apartments on Whitfield Chapel Road in Lanham, apparently the subject of a massive reformation project in 1996 after a decade of being deemed the most violent neighborhood in all of District II (here is the whitepaper on the study of Whitfield Towne, before/after: http://www.popcenter.org/library/awa...1998/98-62.pdf)

Due to all the social problems of being the token white kid I went to three different elementary schools- first, Ardmore Elementary, then Kettering, then Woodmore. None were any better than the other. The racism extended through all of the staff, teachers, and administration so whenever I was tormented whether in the classroom, cafeteria, or at recess it was overlooked and at times blatantly supported and encouraged by the people who were in positions of authority. The violence was unprecedented. Fights in these schools weren't just a bit of weave-pulling and a couple of punches. Fights ended with kids being carried out on stretchers and into ambulances. I was constantly getting jumped by groups of kids almost daily, and then would be the one blamed because the kids that started the fight would all pull the race card and claim that I had said/done something discriminatory- when in fact, it was always the other way around.
I wouldn't doubt it. You will find ignorance where ever someone is a racial minority. The same thing happens in places where blacks are rare in a predominantly white school system. People are ignorant and often not accepting of those who are different. That is unfortunately how our society has operated for a long time.

Quote:
The elementary school curriculum design was ridiculous. We had these combination classrooms where third and fourth graders, fifth and sixth graders, etc. were grouped together as 3/4, 5/6 classes and so on. The point was apparently to take the accelerated kids from the lower grade and pair them in a class with the kids whose performance in the grade above was underwhelming. It didn't do anything good for either group of kids and the classrooms were a mess of chaos and disruption All. The. Time.

Just before middle school we moved to Kettering in a townhouse complex off of Enterprise Road and SR 301 near Watkins Park. The suburbanization of the black middle class was starting to take effect, but it didn't make that neighborhood or area any better. Whenever said middle class moved out to PG County they brought all the same un-middle-class problems and mindset with them and what was a promising neighborhood for about five minutes was again filled with drug dealers and violence.
Sometimes those classes were formed because the school didn't have another classroom to put a group of students so rather than just add them into an already overcrowded class in their grade, they split the grades.

Quote:
At Francis Scott Key middle school in Capitol Heights (where I went after elementary), we could hear gunshots regularly in the surrounding neighborhood. I once witnessed one kid get brutally beaten down and kicked repeatedly against the concrete wall by eight kids until the kid was no longer moving or conscious. Apparently bussing me from Kettering to Capitol Heights was the county's brilliantly illogical plan for integrating the district, it never really made sense why they sent me over there.

Needless to say, learning anything throughout elementary and middle school was flat-out impossible. The social structure, the violence and daily torment, and the lack of support from teachers and administrative staff created such a hostile environment that even the idea of learning anything was a joke. All of my energy was taken just trying to survive. Besides, the staff wasn't really interested in whether students learned anyway, they pretty much wanted to do as little as possible while still collecting their paychecks.

**In Greenbelt, between my eleventh and twelfth grade year alone I attended five funerals, all for kids under 18, all from Roosevelt. Three of them were murdered. And this was at the best school in the state.
Where is Francis Scott Key Middle? I have never heard of this school. Was it renamed into something else? The only middle school that I know of in Capitol Heights is Walker Mill Middle.

Quote:
I can tell you what I DID learn though: the names and recognizable accomplishments of pretty much every black figure in history, since every day was Black History month and this is how we started the morning announcements. Oh, and every negro spiritual that ever was. Actually at Kettering Elementary we sang We Shall Overcome instead of even doing our nation's pledge of allegiance. And I can recognize any ten seconds of a MLK speech anywhere, anytime because I heard them over... and over... Not that any of these things were inherently negative. But in the context of creating black solidarity in an "us versus anyone else" fashion, being isolated and treated as a social and racial pariah characterized PG County schools for not just me but for all of the minority kids that were forcibly integrated via the lovely racket called the "Talented And Gifted" programs.

I left the Washington, DC area the day after I graduated high school and have never looked back since. The fact that A) I got out alive, B) Graduated, and C) Didn't get pregnant, join a gang, or become a sociopath is a miracle of proportions most reading this will never understand. You couldn't pay me any amount of money to set foot in PG County again, and to even think of raising kids there if you aren't black is a nightmare waiting to happen.

Racial discrimination in ANY form, no matter which race is doing it to which other race has to go, and in PG County it hasn't gone anywhere- and probably never will.
I have an extremely hard time believing your account. I went to PG County Schools just as it started becoming a predominantly black school system and we spent basically February studying black history and that's just about it. The rest of the year we learned almost nothing about black history. And during February, we learned about the same 4 people every year: MLK, Malcolm X, Harriet Tubman, and Frederick Douglass. Every once in a while you would learn about someone different but it was rare. It's the same generic curriculum in PG was the same one across the state. That has never been some black centric curriculum at any point. It's impossible for teachers to be able to do so and still keep their jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2014, 08:59 AM

566 posts, read 1,557,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
Are there bad parts in PG? Sure, but the Wire? The Wire? Really? I think that is an extreme exaggeration.

I wouldn't doubt it. You will find ignorance where ever someone is a racial minority. The same thing happens in places where blacks are rare in a predominantly white school system. People are ignorant and often not accepting of those who are different. That is unfortunately how our society has operated for a long time.

Sometimes those classes were formed because the school didn't have another classroom to put a group of students so rather than just add them into an already overcrowded class in their grade, they split the grades.

Where is Francis Scott Key Middle? I have never heard of this school. Was it renamed into something else? The only middle school that I know of in Capitol Heights is Walker Mill Middle.

I have an extremely hard time believing your account. I went to PG County Schools just as it started becoming a predominantly black school system and we spent basically February studying black history and that's just about it. The rest of the year we learned almost nothing about black history. And during February, we learned about the same 4 people every year: MLK, Malcolm X, Harriet Tubman, and Frederick Douglass. Every once in a while you would learn about someone different but it was rare. It's the same generic curriculum in PG was the same one across the state. That has never been some black centric curriculum at any point. It's impossible for teachers to be able to do so and still keep their jobs.
Francis Scott Key is in District Heights. It's near the Shoppers on Silver Hill Road.

As far as curriculum, I think it's fair to say that teachers do have some discretion on what is discussed in class. I had plenty of history classes where the teacher had a favorite topic that became a de facto theme for the year. My sixth grade history teacher was so obsessed with Japan and somehow worked Japan into almost every discussion.

Old 09-29-2014, 11:32 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,984,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curbed Enthusiasm View Post
Francis Scott Key is in District Heights. It's near the Shoppers on Silver Hill Road.
Yes I know what you are talking about now. Definitely District Heights. It doesn't become Capitol Heights until Addison Road and Walker Mill Road splits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curbed Enthusiasm View Post
As far as curriculum, I think it's fair to say that teachers do have some discretion on what is discussed in class. I had plenty of history classes where the teacher had a favorite topic that became a de facto theme for the year. My sixth grade history teacher was so obsessed with Japan and somehow worked Japan into almost every discussion.
That is true, but there are certain words that the poster use that seems like the person is exaggerating:

"every day" - did he/she really learn about black history everyday?

"every negro spiritual" - sounds a bit embellished don't you think?

Old 09-29-2014, 02:47 PM

566 posts, read 1,557,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
Yes I know what you are talking about now. Definitely District Heights. It doesn't become Capitol Heights until Addison Road and Walker Mill Road splits.

That is true, but there are certain words that the poster use that seems like the person is exaggerating:

"every day" - did he/she really learn about black history everyday?

"every negro spiritual" - sounds a bit embellished don't you think?
Bad experiences often amplify bad memories. Exaggerated? Maybe, or maybe not. A lot of kids had bad experiences in the PG schools back then. I don't think the poster was saying "every" in the literal terms as much as that it was a focus and common theme in their day to day at school.

When people come back from Europe and say "everybody smokes in Italy," they usually aren't implying that literally "every" single Italian in lighting-up, but instead that there are far more smokers there than many Americans are accustomed to. I think "every" is being used to make a point, not a literal statement.

Old 02-09-2016, 07:44 AM

117 posts, read 234,382 times
Well I posted this originally almost 5 years ago. I have been living in PG now for almost 5 years and there are Pros and Cons. I love the fact the there are several more metro lines in PG. I work in DC now and my commute isn't too bad (when Metro is working). I have a short drive to a Metro Station and it's a strait shot to downtown DC were I work. I living in a nice neighborhood however we do have some property crimes from time to time, but no different that when I lived in Cloesville. I love my house, I have invested so much into it.

When it comes down to it, my family and I are strongly considering leaving this county in about two years or less. The main reason is because of the public schools. My son is already in early childhood county school program. My wife and I have started to experience how it's like to deal with PG County public schools. It isn't great, most of the time when the administrators take a look at my wife and I...they assume we need an Spanish interpreter. This is annoying, but that's besides the point. It's mainly for the lack of dedication in the lack of organization that I've seen. There are a few really good individuals who are genuinely trying to be the best. For the most part from what I've seen, there is a lot of red tape and lack of enthusiasm from the staff and teachers. Recently they tried to increase our property taxes in PG for the schools. As much as I would hated are my property taxes to increase, it sound like it was for a good cause.

The County Council shut it down but for a good reason. It sounded like the schools were asking for more money they didn't fully understand what was the root cause for most of their problems where. I think they planned at just throwing more money into the schools with hope that it would fix it. It's things like this that baffle me about Prince George's County. The good thing is a counsel asked for a thorough audit review of the County schools but they still ended up increasing our property taxes by 4%. The Second reason is the violence I have seen and also read about that goes on in the schools. Nevertheless I don't want to stick around see what happens. I think it's enough and I'm not patient enough to sit around and wait to see the schools improve. I want what's best for my two kids now and I'll sell my house and move to put my kids in the better School system. I did look into sending my two boys to private school. But that is very expensive it cost more than my mortgage. It seems more logical to move from PG to another county (possibly Howard).

I gave it a try, but my advice to anyone considering moving to PG... It's a great place to live if you don't plan on sending your kids to public schools. I heard lots of rumors of this being an issue when I first considered moving in to PG and I have now lived it 1st hand and can attest that it's true.

Old 02-09-2016, 11:14 AM

15,431 posts, read 25,814,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dropping_k View Post

I gave it a try, but my advice to anyone considering moving to PG... It's a great place to live if you don't plan on sending your kids to public schools. I heard lots of rumors of this being an issue when I first considered moving in to PG and I have now lived it 1st hand and can attest that it's true.
That's what I tried to tell you 5 years ago. I'm glad you came back and updated this post. We moved when our first reached Middle School age.

Old 02-09-2016, 01:29 PM

640 posts, read 1,295,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dropping_k View Post
Well I posted this originally almost 5 years ago. I have been living in PG now for almost 5 years and there are Pros and Cons. I love the fact the there are several more metro lines in PG. I work in DC now and my commute isn't too bad (when Metro is working). I have a short drive to a Metro Station and it's a strait shot to downtown DC were I work. I living in a nice neighborhood however we do have some property crimes from time to time, but no different that when I lived in Cloesville. I love my house, I have invested so much into it.

When it comes down to it, my family and I are strongly considering leaving this county in about two years or less. The main reason is because of the public schools. My son is already in early childhood county school program. My wife and I have started to experience how it's like to deal with PG County public schools. It isn't great, most of the time when the administrators take a look at my wife and I...they assume we need an Spanish interpreter. This is annoying, but that's besides the point. It's mainly for the lack of dedication in the lack of organization that I've seen. There are a few really good individuals who are genuinely trying to be the best. For the most part from what I've seen, there is a lot of red tape and lack of enthusiasm from the staff and teachers. Recently they tried to increase our property taxes in PG for the schools. As much as I would hated are my property taxes to increase, it sound like it was for a good cause.

The County Council shut it down but for a good reason. It sounded like the schools were asking for more money they didn't fully understand what was the root cause for most of their problems where. I think they planned at just throwing more money into the schools with hope that it would fix it. It's things like this that baffle me about Prince George's County. The good thing is a counsel asked for a thorough audit review of the County schools but they still ended up increasing our property taxes by 4%. The Second reason is the violence I have seen and also read about that goes on in the schools. Nevertheless I don't want to stick around see what happens. I think it's enough and I'm not patient enough to sit around and wait to see the schools improve. I want what's best for my two kids now and I'll sell my house and move to put my kids in the better School system. I did look into sending my two boys to private school. But that is very expensive it cost more than my mortgage. It seems more logical to move from PG to another county (possibly Howard).

Thanks for the Update

Old 02-11-2016, 08:36 AM

469 posts, read 549,893 times
I don't know why Prince George's County gets such a bad rap. Like anywhere else it depends on where in the county you move too. Moco is sooo "great" yet people are saving and hustling to buy in the Bethesda/Potomac area for a top quality school pyramid. Or paying a million dollars for a 3,200 sqf house in upper NW DC in hopes of getting into a charter school PG is no different, certain areas are better then others in amenities and schools

Old 02-11-2016, 06:57 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,126,824 times
OP, dropping_k,
1) thanks for the update (it's so nice when people come back with updates)
2) when you sell will you have made a profit on your house, lost money or will you break even? Six years isn't a long time to own a house. And with commissions, closing costs, and the money you may have put into improvements, and the cost of your longer commute…will you come out ahead?

I also lived in MontCo before I ended up buying in PG 13 years ago….because of lower prices. Let's face it you get more house for your money. But as you and I knew at the time….there's a reason for that. But I don't have kids so knew I'd never have to worry about the schools issue for my kids. PLUS, even though my SFH is 3 BR, 2 1/2 BA…it's an older home, and by today's standards would be considered a "starter home." And I figure there'll always be a buyer's market for those. SOMEone will be buying in PG…if only for the same reason I did…..and the same reason YOU did…….you got more house for the money.

Would you say you "regret" buying in PG only to have to move again??…..or are your thoughts about the situation not that strong?? Do you wish you had maybe bitten the bullet to stay in MontCo??

Also, when you bought before, you said BOWIE was too far out. Now, you're willing to move to HOWARD county? Talk about a longer commute…..

Old 02-15-2016, 07:59 PM

117 posts, read 234,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
OP, dropping_k,
1) thanks for the update (it's so nice when people come back with updates)
2) when you sell will you have made a profit on your house, lost money or will you break even? Six years isn't a long time to own a house. And with commissions, closing costs, and the money you may have put into improvements, and the cost of your longer commute…will you come out ahead?

I also lived in MontCo before I ended up buying in PG 13 years ago….because of lower prices. Let's face it you get more house for your money. But as you and I knew at the time….there's a reason for that. But I don't have kids so knew I'd never have to worry about the schools issue for my kids. PLUS, even though my SFH is 3 BR, 2 1/2 BA…it's an older home, and by today's standards would be considered a "starter home." And I figure there'll always be a buyer's market for those. SOMEone will be buying in PG…if only for the same reason I did…..and the same reason YOU did…….you got more house for the money.

Would you say you "regret" buying in PG only to have to move again??…..or are your thoughts about the situation not that strong?? Do you wish you had maybe bitten the bullet to stay in MontCo??

Also, when you bought before, you said BOWIE was too far out. Now, you're willing to move to HOWARD county? Talk about a longer commute…..
Thanks

I imagine when I do sell my home I will make a profit. I recently got my home reappraised about 1 year when I refinanced out of FHA loan and the value jumped 60K in value from when I bought in 2011. I however have invested about 20K since we moved in on improvements. My neighborhood is relatively nice and most homeowners maintain and upgrade their homes. Several neighbors got new roofs, driveways, and or major landscaping done since I moved in. I love my home and Neighborhood, but the schools is what is whats driving me away. Specifically the special needs division of the public schools. My kid has some "basic" special needs and I have to fight hard to get the school to accommodate anything. Their approach is to give each child the bare minimum of what they can get away with. I'm an involved parent and I don't expect the schools to do all the work, but PG schools seem to a lot less when it comes to special needs compared to Howard and Moco.

I would lose out on the commute if we move to Howard or back into MoCo. When we bought our home back in 2011 our work situation was different and Howard was too far. Now we both got new more established jobs and it wouldn't be too bad, but still it would involve a commute which we are willing to do for our kids. I don't regret moving here (too much). I think if it wasn't for our special needs situation, we could consider staying here longer, at least until middle school. I do live in a "good" school district by PG standards (which is average compared the Maryland standards). I just don't want to settle for "average" and want to make sure I do right by my kids and give them the best school experience and education I can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland