Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2011, 02:33 PM

4 posts, read 6,365 times

Advertisements

I am moving from NYC to somewhere in MD and will be looking to buy a home or townhouse within the near future. I need to be near all three airports: Dullus, Reagan, BWI. My job has me traveling all week and I will be using all three quite frequently.

At first, I was looking in Laurel but have read HORRIBLE post about most of the area and PG county. Also I was looking around the following:
Bowie
Greenbelt
Adelphi
Burtonsville
Wheaton
Crofton

Any other suggestions or which of the above locations are nice places for a single young professional women to live? Considering I am moving from NYC I would like some sort of entertainment or activies. I DO NOT want to live in a place where I am the only single person and everyone else has a family.

As stated above LOCATION IS EVERYTHING for my move. I know this would be much easier if Dullus airport was closer to DC. Oh one more thing, I wouldn't mind living somewhere in DC as well BUT my budget will be between $250k and $325k.
HELP! Thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2011, 03:19 PM

388 posts, read 848,797 times
Growing up in Annapolis, I always felt all three were reasonable for me. 45 min-hr to Dulles and Reagan, and 20 min to Bwi. You really can't go wrong with anywhere between bmore/dc, and all of those cities you mentioned were in a good location for you. I wouldn't discount laurel from a few nay-sayers on here, you should check these places out for yourself. Personally I would prob go with crofton, I've always liked how accessable it was to the highways and there is plenty of newer shopping centers to keep you occupied.

Old 08-01-2011, 06:39 PM

15,427 posts, read 25,799,414 times
DC makes sense since there is many transportation options to all three. From the B30 bus to BWI, to the 5A bus to Dulles, to Metro to National, to MARC, and AMTRAK trains to Washington Flyer bus service, you can't go wrong! It's also easy to drive to all three airports.

Old 08-01-2011, 07:35 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,931,469 times
Out of your choices listed; I'd go with Crofton. Fairly easy access to DC, Baltimore and Annapolis. I think you're probably looking at a townhome in Crofton for that price range.

Old 08-02-2011, 05:59 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,980,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCmed View Post
I am moving from NYC to somewhere in MD and will be looking to buy a home or townhouse within the near future. I need to be near all three airports: Dullus, Reagan, BWI. My job has me traveling all week and I will be using all three quite frequently.

At first, I was looking in Laurel but have read HORRIBLE post about most of the area and PG county. Also I was looking around the following:
Bowie
Greenbelt
Adelphi
Burtonsville
Wheaton
Crofton

Any other suggestions or which of the above locations are nice places for a single young professional women to live? Considering I am moving from NYC I would like some sort of entertainment or activies. I DO NOT want to live in a place where I am the only single person and everyone else has a family.

As stated above LOCATION IS EVERYTHING for my move. I know this would be much easier if Dullus airport was closer to DC. Oh one more thing, I wouldn't mind living somewhere in DC as well BUT my budget will be between $250k and $325k.
HELP! Thanks
I'm a little confused, you said people told you to stay away from PG but then you named 3 places in PG (Greenbelt, Adelphi, and Bowie) and on top of that, Laurel is actually in 3 different counties (Howard, PG, and Anne Arundel), so it's kind of hard to attribute Laurel reputation to just one county, whether it's good or bad.

I think the information you have gotten has some validity about SOME parts of this county being bad but Laurel really isn't that bad especially in the 20708 zip code. It's very quiet there and there a lot of nice homes. But if you ask me, I agree with one of the previous posters, DC makes the most sense. The places that you have listed are good for going to BWI and maybe Reagan, but the trip out to Dulles will be a nightmare. From DC, you can get on 66 and get to 28 and you are right there at Dulles,you would still be 30-40 minutes from BWI, and maybe 10-15 to Reagan depending on what part of DC you stay in. If you ask me personally none of those places you listed make sense for what you are trying to accomplish with your commute.

Old 08-02-2011, 11:01 AM

64 posts, read 195,482 times
I can't speak for any of those cities. But, I lived (until very recently) along the I-270 corridor in Montgomery county and found it convenient enough to all 3 airports (if you can avoid the peak rush hour traffic). I think anywhere near 495 in Montgomery county might work for you - places like Silver Spring, Bethesda - or even parts of Rockville (lower area or the part near 270). All of those areas have some pockets of good single living (esp. Bethesda - but you'll pay more to live there).

If you need/want to take public transportation to the airport, that may change things and DC would probably be your best bet.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:43 PM

434 posts, read 1,118,010 times
I live in PG County and love it and am always trying to educate people about the wonderful areas we have.

But it's also respectful to actually answer the OP's question !

One thing to consider is whether you want to save time (by driving your own car and parking) OR money (by using public transportation) when you are traveling to these airports. It makes a little bit of a difference.

If you want to save time, then I would live in the Silver Spring area inside the Beltway. You can take 495 to 95 to 195 to get to BWI; 495 to the Dulles Toll Road to get to Dullesl; any of the big avenue streets to go through DC to Reagan or you could take Rock Creek Pkwy to the GW Pkwy to get to Reagan.

If you want to save money and use public transport for these options, I still think SS is the best bet. Red line to green line to Greenbelt to bus to BWI; red line to orange line to ?Falls Church? to bus for Dulles; and red line to yellow line for Reagan.

In addition, I think Silver Spring would have condos in your price range and it also has a sufficient number of young professionals in the condo buildings.

I think a previous poster mentioned something about growing up in Annapolis and being able to get to Dulles ? I don't think that holds true these days - I would think it would take upwards of 90 minutes to drive there without heavy traffic.

Good luck !

Old 08-03-2011, 09:21 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,988,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapper105 View Post
I live in PG County and love it and am always trying to educate people about the wonderful areas we have.

But it's also respectful to actually answer the OP's question !

One thing to consider is whether you want to save time (by driving your own car and parking) OR money (by using public transportation) when you are traveling to these airports. It makes a little bit of a difference.

If you want to save time, then I would live in the Silver Spring area inside the Beltway. You can take 495 to 95 to 195 to get to BWI; 495 to the Dulles Toll Road to get to Dullesl; any of the big avenue streets to go through DC to Reagan or you could take Rock Creek Pkwy to the GW Pkwy to get to Reagan.

If you want to save money and use public transport for these options, I still think SS is the best bet. Red line to green line to Greenbelt to bus to BWI; red line to orange line to ?Falls Church? to bus for Dulles; and red line to yellow line for Reagan.

In addition, I think Silver Spring would have condos in your price range and it also has a sufficient number of young professionals in the condo buildings.

I think a previous poster mentioned something about growing up in Annapolis and being able to get to Dulles ? I don't think that holds true these days - I would think it would take upwards of 90 minutes to drive there without heavy traffic.

Good luck !

I would like to second this recommendation. Bethesda-Chevy Chase is way too expensive.

Old 08-04-2011, 07:29 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,799,414 times
Did the OP mention what they can afford? If cost doesn't matter then I still say DC is the best for getting to three airports. There's North Bethesda if the person wants to drive. The areas where 495 meets 270 is ideal for driving. When the ICC opens up, then Rockville would also work well. I think, however, it's tough to really answer without the an idea of what they can afford. It seems that, aside from DC, there really is no place that is ideal for reaching all three all of the time. If you go to Dulles less often than to BWI or National, then it makes sense to live in some of the suggested places. If you go to Dulles more often than those then it makes sense to live closer to there.Macy Sukut

Edit: I went back and reread the OP. I think DC or Arlington (Rosslyn to Ballston corridor) are what she will want. Silver Spring downtown or Bethesda might work too. These are the places with the lifestyle she seems to want.

Old 08-08-2011, 04:01 PM

1 posts, read 1,232 times
I agree with dkf except for housing prices. Downtown Silver Spring and bethesda are over inflated prices for what you get. I do recommend "down county" Montgomery (somewhere just above the beltway (for easy access to the airports) but not in DC proper. Much as I enjoy taking the Metro to DC, property costs are HIGH, parking is a mess, insurance and taxes are much higher as well. I recommend getting a place near the RED LINE (metro) cause you can use this to get to Washington Nation (local name for Reagan), hope on the beltway for BWI or Dulles.... and, of course, easy access to shopping and restaurants on the red line. but do yourself a favor, and focus upon one or two airports. Your frequent flyer miles will thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland