Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 09:50 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,381,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdfrommw7 View Post
I've been in Clinton MD for a little over a year. I like the area but I must say this area has the worst driving I've seen in my life. In the past 4 months I've had two neighbors who had their vehicles hit from behind while their cars were parked on the street. Both times it was because of a drunk driver. Keep in mind this is a suburban street with little traffic.

I witness an accident at least 3-4 times a week on Branch avenue due to people dangerously weaving in and out of traffic at high speeds. Every week I see stuffed animals on branch avenue where someone was killed due to idiotic driving. Last month coming off 495 someone was rear ended so hard I was going 60mph and the car flew past me on the left as the result of someone rear ending the car at an extremely high speed. On numerous occasions while waiting to turn at an intersection I've had people start laying on their horn I suppose because I won't turn into on coming traffic. Recently a guy tried to pass me and almost got hit by on coming traffic while I was in the intersection and he was behind me. His destination... McDonalds. At least half of the drivers tail gait and slam on their brakes every 2-3 seconds due to not leaving a safe amount of distance in stop and go traffic. There are way too many reckless and irresponsible drivers in this area. I see people driving like this with their kids in the car and it is very disappointing. I've lived in Laurel and travel to DC, Baltimore, and Norther Virginia for my job. I'm relieved when I get to drive in other areas other than this area. The driving is much safer in other areas of PG county. It's mainly Branch Avenue between 495 and Waldorf. My advice when driving in this area pretend everyone is trying to kill you and be an extremely defensive driver.
I agree 1000%. I'm fortunate I live off the first exit off Branch Avenue coming from the Beltway. They just recently adjusted the traffic pattern for Exit 7 South on the Southbound beltway side. They made the exit lanes 2 instead of 1. Traffic would back up a mile before the exit in the right lane when it was only 1. Instead of folks patiently waiting their turn they would speed 70mph and cutoff someone in the lane. I saw on average two accidents a week as a result. Fortunately that's been eliminated due to the change.

On Branch Ave itself I've seen cars flipped over and even a few that have cross the median. There have been a number of fatalities on that road.

This maybe unpopular but a lot of it is due to black drivers especially woman. I do not know why black women are so angry when they get behind the wheel. For example last week when traffic was backed up due to that big crash where two people died, I got off on PennAve towards Upper Marlboro. This car with DC tags is tailgating me and I'm going about 60 mph in the fast lane but can't move over because there are two big trailers to the right. After going only two exits on the beltway in an hour I wasn't in the mood for the usual DC/PG aggressiveness and slammed on the brakes. Sure enough, a black woman launches into a profanity laced tirade.

Then yesterday I am trying to merge onto 202 from I-95 South. I see one car which is far away but speeding oh well I still have time to merge and did so. This caused the speeding driver to apply their brakes. Mind you I did not cut them off just slowed them down. Well sure enough the driver a black woman pulls up on my right and starts cursing me out. I ask her why are you speeding this is a heavily congested area.

Too many angry people on the roads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2011, 10:02 AM

Well this just happened in Northern PG.

3 Dead in Fatal SUV Crash on BW Parkway | NBC Washington

Old 08-13-2011, 10:10 AM

15,409 posts, read 25,725,485 times
I nearly ran into the worst driver on the planet on Wednesday, but that was at Shady Grove Metro. Maybe they are from your area? This driver came from Redland Blvd onto the beginning part of 370. I was coming out of the Kiss N Ride onto 370 westbound. As you exit the Kiss N Ride, the lane becomes the new left lane on 370. The lane they were in was the left lane prior to where I enter 370. That driver wants to get into the Kiss N Ride lot, but there is no entrance from their direction. (except for buses). To get in from where they were, they would need to exit at Shady Grove Rd and reenter 370 going back towards the station. There is a jersey barrier wall to the left that divides our direction from the 370 lanes going the other way. There's a gap just after the place where my lanes enter 370. The gap[ is for cops to turn around I guess. There's another one further up. Are you getting the picture? I enter 370 and am accelerating to get up to the speed of 370. The other car is just ahead on the right. All of a sudden! He turns hard left right when I'm almost caught up to him. He was heading for that gap. I braked like I have never braked before, practically putting the pedal through the floor! I missed him by millimeters because he went right through the gap onto the other side, where another car had to slam on his brakes too. He just kept right on going into the Metro station, while I was sitting there wishing I had never moved to Maryland where things like this happen more than I care to admit. But yeah, they were probably from your area.

Old 08-13-2011, 11:40 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,952,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I agree 1000%. I'm fortunate I live off the first exit off Branch Avenue coming from the Beltway. They just recently adjusted the traffic pattern for Exit 7 South on the Southbound beltway side. They made the exit lanes 2 instead of 1. Traffic would back up a mile before the exit in the right lane when it was only 1. Instead of folks patiently waiting their turn they would speed 70mph and cutoff someone in the lane. I saw on average two accidents a week as a result. Fortunately that's been eliminated due to the change.

On Branch Ave itself I've seen cars flipped over and even a few that have cross the median. There have been a number of fatalities on that road.

This maybe unpopular but a lot of it is due to black drivers especially woman. I do not know why black women are so angry when they get behind the wheel. For example last week when traffic was backed up due to that big crash where two people died, I got off on PennAve towards Upper Marlboro. This car with DC tags is tailgating me and I'm going about 60 mph in the fast lane but can't move over because there are two big trailers to the right. After going only two exits on the beltway in an hour I wasn't in the mood for the usual DC/PG aggressiveness and slammed on the brakes. Sure enough, a black woman launches into a profanity laced tirade.

Then yesterday I am trying to merge onto 202 from I-95 South. I see one car which is far away but speeding oh well I still have time to merge and did so. This caused the speeding driver to apply their brakes. Mind you I did not cut them off just slowed them down. Well sure enough the driver a black woman pulls up on my right and starts cursing me out. I ask her why are you speeding this is a heavily congested area.

Too many angry people on the roads.
You know there probably going to backlash from this but it is true. It's a sense of entitlement that people have on the road like it's their road. I also get this same attitude from men and women who generally driver luxury vehicles. That's not say that all people who are in these groups are guilty but man there are selfish people driving.

Old 08-14-2011, 02:45 PM

1 posts, read 1,582 times
I work in temporarily reside in PG county, although I work in MD. Being from Chgo, I have seen the worst driving, regardless of the weather from Rockville, Glen Burnie, Bowie, Upper Marlboro, 495 and 301. What puzzles me the most is the absence of lights that do exist on the highways and main streets that are not lit, compared to the scary accidents witnessed. the cost of living here that hard working residents pay does not equate this in addition to no sidewalks for pedestrians. I wont be here long!

Old 08-15-2011, 10:54 AM

1,831 posts, read 4,427,190 times
Umm, Meatkins and EdwardA, when someone pulls a stupid driving move, I make it a point to take a peep at the perpetrator. Nine times out of 10, guess who it is? Not an "angry" black woman. When it comes to excessive speed, excessive slowness, "hanging back" in the high speed lane (so that other cars zip in front of you and you slow down everyone in back of you), cutting people off, passing others on the shoulder, sudden braking and tailgating, I have honestly seen a male at the wheel. Sorry dudes, lol. Whether male or female, black, white or other, young or old, intoxicated or not, American-born or not, the driving is crazy!

One more thing, if you slam on the brakes to get back at a tailgater, what exactly do you expect the person to do? Crack a smile? So when someone calls you everything but a child of God, it's just another angry black woman ranting, right? Two wrongs don't make a right, and we can do without the self-hatred here.

Old 08-15-2011, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowian View Post
Umm, Meatkins and EdwardA, when someone pulls a stupid driving move, I make it a point to take a peep at the perpetrator. Nine times out of 10, guess who it is? Not an "angry" black woman. When it comes to excessive speed, excessive slowness, "hanging back" in the high speed lane (so that other cars zip in front of you and you slow down everyone in back of you), cutting people off, passing others on the shoulder, sudden braking and tailgating, I have honestly seen a male at the wheel. Sorry dudes, lol. Whether male or female, black, white or other, young or old, intoxicated or not, American-born or not, the driving is crazy!

One more thing, if you slam on the brakes to get back at a tailgater, what exactly do you expect the person to do? Crack a smile? So when someone calls you everything but a child of God, it's just another angry black woman ranting, right? Two wrongs don't make a right, and we can do without the self-hatred here.
Self-hatred? Sorry being Black doesn't mean ignoring the world around you. I'm giving you my experience it's not scientific. I drive from PG to Baltimore everyday and what I see is not pretty.

This area in general has been rated the worst in the country in terms of driving by insurance companies. My insurance payments more than doubled just by living in PG. So something is amiss here.

Old 08-15-2011, 07:35 PM

1,831 posts, read 4,427,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Self-hatred? Sorry being Black doesn't mean ignoring the world around you. I'm giving you my experience it's not scientific. I drive from PG to Baltimore everyday and what I see is not pretty.

This area in general has been rated the worst in the country in terms of driving by insurance companies. My insurance payments more than doubled just by living in PG. So something is amiss here.
The "something amiss" doesn't have to be black women or only black people. I make the same commute. We must be seeing very different things. PG to Baltimore is not the worst commute out there.

Old 08-15-2011, 07:47 PM

45,114 posts, read 60,226,663 times
"Pray For Me, I Drive Rte. 4" is a bumper sticker here in Calvert.

I've noticed that people tend to tailgate me, drive through an opposing stop sign or cross in front of me more when I'm driving one of my cars than when I'm in my pick-up.

My younger son and I witnessed a hit and run late last Saturday night on one of the more problematic 2 lane roads down here. A guy was in the opposing lane, ran off it to the right, over corrected into my lane and smacked the guy behind me, who had gone into the opposing lane to avoid the accident. He got sideswiped, broken rear axle and driveshaft popped out. The other guy, who caused the accident, took off.

Old 08-16-2011, 06:13 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,952,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowian View Post

Maybe we get that treatment because we're black men? I don't know. I concur with EdwardA, all I can go on is what I have experienced. And please don't let me start talking about some of these teenage girls in Oxon Hill who will walk out in the middle of street in rush hour traffic, expecting people to slam their breaks so they can cross. I really hate to say it but this goes beyond driving. I'm disrespected by black women even when I go to the store. I have black women who will cut in front of me in line, just like they would in their car. It has gotten so bad that even my wife (yes a black woman) has noticed how I get treated. Is it a coincidence? I don't know, but that's what I have seen through my own two eyes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland