U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 08-26-2011, 10:39 AM

1,677 posts, read 1,638,923 times
Default Any truly FINE dining in Prince George's County

Dare I ask: "is there any truly FINE dining, upscale dining in Prince George's County?

I did DC's restaurant week to the hilt four places in one week. Several years ago I did six restaurants in one restaurant week. The list of participating eateries had places in DC, of cource, but also Montgomer County, mostly if not all in Bethesda -- but also Northern Virginia: Alexandria, Arlington -- but also Vienna and McClean.

You want to know which neighboring county to DC had NOT places listed for Restaurant Week? That's right Prince George's County.

Not all RW places are fine dining or upscale by any means. But if I'm going to get lunch for $20.11, or dinner for $35.11, I personally am sure going to pick the more upscale places. And I would have liked to support a restaurant in the county where I live.

When I moved from Montgomery County to PG -- I knew about PG's 'issues.' But sometimes, every once in a while, I wish I was back in Montgomery County, and RW just reminded me of that.

So I ask: Does Prince George's County have any truly fine dining or upscale dining? (Maybe it does and I just don't know about it.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 08-26-2011, 12:33 PM

6,129 posts, read 3,728,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Dare I ask: "is there any truly FINE dining, upscale dining in Prince George's County?

I did DC's restaurant week to the hilt four places in one week. Several years ago I did six restaurants in one restaurant week. The list of participating eateries had places in DC, of cource, but also Montgomer County, mostly if not all in Bethesda -- but also Northern Virginia: Alexandria, Arlington -- but also Vienna and McClean.

You want to know which neighboring county to DC had NOT places listed for Restaurant Week? That's right Prince George's County.

Not all RW places are fine dining or upscale by any means. But if I'm going to get lunch for $20.11, or dinner for $35.11, I personally am sure going to pick the more upscale places. And I would have liked to support a restaurant in the county where I live.

When I moved from Montgomery County to PG -- I knew about PG's 'issues.' But sometimes, every once in a while, I wish I was back in Montgomery County, and RW just reminded me of that.

So I ask: Does Prince George's County have any truly fine dining or upscale dining? (Maybe it does and I just don't know about it.)
You mean besides National Harbor? Yikes, I can't think of too many places at all. I think it is all how you define it too. I don't really think there are any places in PG outside the National Harbor that will make you forget about Bethesda and their restaurants. And even the National Harbor 'upscale' restaurants have a reputation for not having upscale service, but that topic has been beaten to death on here.

Unread 08-26-2011, 01:08 PM

1,677 posts, read 1,638,923 times
I went to National Harbor an year and a half ago. Walked all around. We didn't go into the hotel, and I forget where we ate. But nothing there (then) was what I call upscale fine dining (like the Palm, 1789 (in Georgetown), Le Bernardin and Megu in NY,...I'd even settle for a place like the Occidental, the Oval Room, or Taberna del Alabardero (which are a few of my favorites in DC). I'd also settle for a place that I've never been to but at least has a reputation for being special like Morton's. So that's what I mean by upscale, fine dining.

PG just has no really high end places. Like I said, I knew that when I moved here. So c'est la vie. I just have to spend my money elsewhere.

As for places I would recommend (but they're not high end) -- Both very nice but different from each other -- and both in the Hyattsville/Riverdale area: Calvert House Inn and Franklin's Restaurant Brewery and General Store.

Unread 08-27-2011, 04:10 PM

1,345 posts, read 1,604,296 times
Default boredatwork

Better hit the carry out and call it a day

Unread 08-27-2011, 05:50 PM

16,320 posts, read 5,815,671 times
PG's roots are working class and rural, despite the the emergence of an affluent class of residents I don't think a restaurant of the type you are referring to can be successful in the county. National Harbor is as good as it's going to get.

You really need an urban cluster of affluent people to make it a truly high class restaurant work. All the areas you mentioned fit that bill, PG does not.

Unread 08-27-2011, 09:11 PM

590 posts, read 598,106 times
Not directed at the OP, but IMO "fine" dining is one of the most overrated things in all of existence.

Unread 08-28-2011, 12:11 AM

397 posts, read 435,320 times
I tend to agree that, in general, having high-end restaurants requires an urban cluster. High-end DC restaurants benefit from clients doing both lunch and dinner business on expense accounts. In many cases the clientele is within walking distance. Few suburban areas have the population density to make that work. I talso think that Prince George's also has fewer options because it is easy and convenient to get to the high-end restaurants in other areas. From my house in Fort Washington, I can be at a great restaurant in Old Town in 20 minutes or in DC in 30 minutes. If you live in the northern part of the county, you can probably be in Bethesda or DC in just a few minutes.

I think the best hope for getting the kinds of restaurants the OP talks about is National Harbor. Some restaurants there are already charging high end prices and there is a built-in market from conferences. The waterfront also gives restaurants something to distinguish themselves from competitors.

What surprises me is not the lack of high-end restaurants, in the county but the lack of mid-level choices. I see fast food, but where are the good quality, reasonably priced Thai, Chinese, Italian, and American restaurants? I'm open to suggestions for good options in the Fort Washington area.

Unread 08-28-2011, 03:06 PM

6,129 posts, read 3,728,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblingMan View Post
I tend to agree that, in general, having high-end restaurants requires an urban cluster. High-end DC restaurants benefit from clients doing both lunch and dinner business on expense accounts. In many cases the clientele is within walking distance. Few suburban areas have the population density to make that work. I talso think that Prince George's also has fewer options because it is easy and convenient to get to the high-end restaurants in other areas. From my house in Fort Washington, I can be at a great restaurant in Old Town in 20 minutes or in DC in 30 minutes. If you live in the northern part of the county, you can probably be in Bethesda or DC in just a few minutes.

I think the best hope for getting the kinds of restaurants the OP talks about is National Harbor. Some restaurants there are already charging high end prices and there is a built-in market from conferences. The waterfront also gives restaurants something to distinguish themselves from competitors.

What surprises me is not the lack of high-end restaurants, in the county but the lack of mid-level choices. I see fast food, but where are the good quality, reasonably priced Thai, Chinese, Italian, and American restaurants? I'm open to suggestions for good options in the Fort Washington area.
This is the part that confuses me about Fort Washington. After all these years, you would think FW would at least be able to get a Applebees or something. It seems like there are too many people who don't want to see FW develop that are preventing it from getting that type of development. I believe given the distance that FW residents have to travel, I believe a decent sit down restaurant would greatly benefit the area, but where would it go?

Unread 08-29-2011, 05:05 AM

Location: Ft. Washington/Oxon Hill border, MD (Prince George's County)
290 posts, read 388,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblingMan View Post

For Thai, Bangkok Golden...but after that I am done. For midlevel, sadly I drive to Alexandria to pick up food or pickup food in Fairfax on my way home from work. My husband grew up around DC and for some reason I can't understand loves the crappy carryout and fast food options and would rather have that junk than a quality meal.

Unread 08-29-2011, 11:19 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,408,722 times
Try Graces in Glendale for mid level chinese-

Charlies or Toppolinos in/near Fort Wash for mid level Italian-

You havea few Appleseque type eateries in Clinton (Ruby Tuesdays), Forestville (Applebees, etc), Suitland (TGIFridays), etc-

Or give Proud Marys a shot in Fort Wash-

My new favorite "joint" is Wing Heaven in Clinton, Just opened and already getting good reviews-

Good Luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland