U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-09-2011, 12:56 PM

2,843 posts, read 2,011,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatkins View Post
There is also another article that was originally posted up by TechLawyerinPG, that had some very interesting views on the plight of the middle class black family in the DC area. Here goes one of the key points in the article:

Next American City » Magazine » The Dilemma of the Black Middle Class (http://americancity.org/magazine/article/the-dilemma-of-the-black-middle-class/ - broken link)

After reading that article, it seems there will never be a majority black neighborhood the likes of Tysons, McLean, or Alexandria without the support of a sizable white population. Until the prejudices and perceptions change, it will continue. But no one is willing to admit that they exist. In the age of Obama, they think we have arrived when we're just as far apart as we were 40 years ago. There have been some strides, but we still have a long way to go before we get to a point where blacks can move into Bethesda and not cause white flight.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2011, 05:05 PM

12,673 posts, read 18,861,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
After reading that article, it seems there will never be a majority black neighborhood the likes of Tysons, McLean, or Alexandria without the support of a sizable white population. Until the prejudices and perceptions change, it will continue. But no one is willing to admit that they exist. In the age of Obama, they think we have arrived when we're just as far apart as we were 40 years ago. There have been some strides, but we still have a long way to go before we get to a point where blacks can move into Bethesda and not cause white flight.
Without having read the entire article, the general gyst I was getting is that black middle class people integrate non-black neighborhoods to escape poorer blacks....but as soon as they do, poor blacks enter into those neighborhoods too?

That's kind of what it seems to be saying?

But, your conclusion from reading the article, sounds like white people are the problem? If white people didn't do 'white flight' from poor blacks, than middle-class blacks could more adequately do 'black flight' from them?

My personal opinion is that our nation/economy has to go back to 'small business'. As a nation, we think in terms of corporations and franchises and working at stores at minimum wage. We should return to small business principles, and people can open up key kiosks on the corner, hot dog stands, small enterprise, etc. I think half of the reason a lot of poor neighborhoods resort to crime and drugs, is they don't fit in with this 'work at a company, work at minimum wage wal-mart' dichotomy. But if a guy wanted to be thriving and being around his community, and be allowed to open up a key kiosk on the corner, it could rejuvinate communities.

I just see too many restrictions against that, the immense zoning everywhere that doesn't allow any free enterprise, unless you can enter into the market place with a lot of money to buy/rent property in commercial zoned areas, etc., on and on.

I don't see any point that blacks or whites, should continue 'fleeing' anywhere as long-term solutions.

Old 11-09-2011, 05:17 PM

1,363 posts, read 1,755,932 times
Blacks and Whites in the DC Area have always been very separate. Blacks are more integrated with Whites and other races in places like Silver Spring, Columbia and Laurel in Howard County, places in Anne Arundel County and parts of Baltimore County and even parts of Baltimore city. Interestingly enough, even though Baltimore is very segregated, certain poorer to lower middle class areas like Pigtown are places where Blacks and Whites have always lived together and get along very well.

Baltimore City's Past Present and Future: Pigtown:All Things Baltimore

Upper middle class Blacks in the DC Area make it a point to segregate themselves from Whites, period. Even though many Black folks can afford to live in upscale Whiter areas in the DC metro, many of them choose not to live in those places. Even though many upper middle class Blacks in the DC Area may work with Whites, once the work day is over, they distance themselves completely from anything related to White people as they go home to overwhelmingly Black neighborhoods and restaurants, bars and entire towns and sections of town catering almost exclusively to Black folks. I think this is both because many upper middle class and wealthy Whites in the DC Area come off as closet racists who do a really bad job of hiding it and upper middle class Blacks with good jobs don't want to feel too much like Uncle Toms and many well-off Blacks in the DC Area grew up in very segregated environments and aren't used to being around a lot of White folks. Not to mention, there have been a few high profile hate crimes directed at upper middle class Blacks in places like Bowie:

http://liberatormagazine.com/communi...ad.php?tid=286

Last edited by goldenchild08; 11-09-2011 at 05:27 PM..

Old 11-09-2011, 06:33 PM

17,231 posts, read 7,419,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenchild08 View Post
Blacks and Whites in the DC Area have always been very separate. Blacks are more integrated with Whites and other races in places like Silver Spring, Columbia and Laurel in Howard County, places in Anne Arundel County and parts of Baltimore County and even parts of Baltimore city. Interestingly enough, even though Baltimore is very segregated, certain poorer to lower middle class areas like Pigtown are places where Blacks and Whites have always lived together and get along very well.

Baltimore City's Past Present and Future: Pigtown:All Things Baltimore

Upper middle class Blacks in the DC Area make it a point to segregate themselves from Whites, period. Even though many Black folks can afford to live in upscale Whiter areas in the DC metro, many of them choose not to live in those places. Even though many upper middle class Blacks in the DC Area may work with Whites, once the work day is over, they distance themselves completely from anything related to White people as they go home to overwhelmingly Black neighborhoods and restaurants, bars and entire towns and sections of town catering almost exclusively to Black folks. I think this is both because many upper middle class and wealthy Whites in the DC Area come off as closet racists who do a really bad job of hiding it and upper middle class Blacks with good jobs don't want to feel too much like Uncle Toms and many well-off Blacks in the DC Area grew up in very segregated environments and aren't used to being around a lot of White folks. Not to mention, there have been a few high profile hate crimes directed at upper middle class Blacks in places like Bowie:

Racial Tension
I drive down Monroe Avenue everyday in Baltimore, definitely nothing like Pigtown or Brooklyn Park in the DC area.

As for being racist it's more like people choosing to live with folks who have common interests. Frankly the government induced formula of mixed income housing has been a failure.

Here are some stories from Alexandria where mostly white homeowners are complaining about mostly Black project dwellers

Neighborhood Under Siege? (http://www.connectionnewspapers.com/article.asp?article=352465&paper=59&cat=104 - broken link)

Then in DC we have mostly black homeowners complaining about low income renters that are in the same development.

SE neighborhood's violent past clouds new residents' future

Old 11-09-2011, 06:41 PM

17,231 posts, read 7,419,293 times
Quote:
There is also another article that was originally posted up by TechLawyerinPG, that had some very interesting views on the plight of the middle class black family in the DC area. Here goes one of the key points in the article:

Next American City » Magazine » The Dilemma of the Black Middle Class (http://americancity.org/magazine/article/the-dilemma-of-the-black-middle-class/ - broken link)
Sheryll Cashin rubs me the wrong way. There was a story not too long ago about Black middle class residents in Southfield, MI who were bemoaning the influx of poorer Detroit residents taking advantage of the plummeting values in the area. Some bought their homes others are on Section 8. Needless to say the quality of life has decreased.

Foreclosures helping change mix of some suburbs - US news - Life - msnbc.com

Sheryll Cashin condemns the middle class blacks for wanting the same as other Americans and wonders why they don't want to "help" lower income blacks.

Yet she is a well paid Georgetown professor and I bet she doesn't live in SE or send her kids to schools that are mostly Black and impoverished.

Old 11-10-2011, 07:19 AM

1,448 posts, read 1,873,516 times
Default boredatwork

The DC area is home to 2 majorities not majority-minority. The right side of DC is majority black. The left side majority white. Diverse where they converge. With 2 majorities there no room to feel inferior to the other. Even if the race is homogenous there is alot of variation in the gene pool to produce superior offspring.

Old 11-12-2011, 08:43 PM

233 posts, read 263,156 times
what the hill are people googlin to find these articles????!!

Old 11-16-2011, 07:06 AM

90 posts, read 91,593 times
Quote:
My wife and I have had similar experiences. My wife used to teach in PG too and she had some kids in her 4th grade class that had never heard of Annapolis and thought Washington DC was the capital of MD. I've also tutored a 7th grader who didn't know who the governor of MD was. And that's the point I'm bringing up. It might be nice to live in a place where you can relate to everyone, but is that really healthy for the kids? My experience tells me no, but everybody has their opinion.
Good grief!!! There are no stupid white kids, huh? American U's Steve Roberts (husband to Cokie Roberts) thought everyone in America was Jewish or Catholic when he was 10 years old. I'm pretty certain he came out OK.

Old 11-16-2011, 07:18 AM

7,470 posts, read 4,965,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coquinegra View Post
Good grief!!! There are no stupid white kids, huh? American U's Steve Roberts (husband to Cokie Roberts) thought everyone in America was Jewish or Catholic when he was 10 years old. I'm pretty certain he came out OK.
Why do you always have an attitude?

We aren't in Topeka, KS. I wasn't talking about white people, because my wife didn't teach a classroom full of white kids. I also don't go and mentor a bunch of white kids. My point was not to say that black kids are dumb, but it was to say that living in an enclave community without traveling outside of it very often, has some unintentional side effects. This has nothing to do with how intelligent these kids are. I was only sharing my personal experience, but I already mentioned how that type of lifestyle effects white people too but you conveniently missed that.

Old 11-19-2011, 10:24 AM

14,936 posts, read 17,193,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coquinegra View Post
I live in Louisville, KY. If you want stupid white kids there are schools in the city and in some of the suburban counties (especially one just South of the city) on the Kentucky side that have a lot of stupid white kids.

Quote:
Sheryll Cashin condemns the middle class blacks for wanting the same as other Americans and wonders why they don't want to "help" lower income blacks.

Yet she is a well paid Georgetown professor and I bet she doesn't live in SE or send her kids to schools that are mostly Black and impoverished.
I'll reserve some harsh comments on what Cashin's actions speak of and just call it practice what you preach honey.

Quote:
I've always noticed that about the areas you mentioned and if I was going to live in Maryland I would prefer one of those areas since they are more laid back especially about racial issues. I think the presence of Ft. Meade helps some of those areas since the military is actually pretty good about racial relations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland