Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 10:15 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,561,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Oh God not this Egyptology crap. Imhotep has about as much revelncy to Black Americans as Socrates, probably less. Black Americans are descended from West Africans not ancient Egyptians. If Black Americans really want to reconnect with their roots West Africa is where you should start. Numerous empires you can learn about that did great things.

I really don't get this fascination Black Americans have with Ancient Egypt.
SOME Black Americans have this fascination. And I think we all should be fascinated with history, not just Ancient Egypt. Although I am finding out some pretty cool stuff about the early theologians from North Africa from the book, "131 Christians Everyone Should Know."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 10:20 AM

I haven't read the entire article. Did anyone see any mention of Adelphi being the most diverse neighborhood in the region? It would be a shame if it wasn't mentioned since it is in Prince George's County.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:38 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,933,235 times
Most of you jokers act like you are trapped in Prince George's-

Get your credit rating up, your skill set up, go take a certification course or two, and move to NOVA then, so you can then start complaining there as well-

at least the folks in NOVA are used to the crying from transplants, however I can imagine it wouldn't be as much crying, since you would finally have the grand oppurtunity to appease your master over there, and could throw Prince Georgian's under the bus from afar, kind of how most seem to do currently via hiding behind their internet browsers-

Who wastes so much time being a negative ned to every thing, I can imagine a few of you scared to walk to your mailbox, and locking your car door at every stop light, steaming mad about them "uppity such and such's" in the gated community, who had the nerve to buy yet another nice vehicle, or send their child to blankety blank school, don't they know we are all supposed to be broke eating sardines and spam like me!-

It's actually pretty sad

Last edited by cool rob; 11-01-2011 at 10:49 AM..

Old 11-01-2011, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool rob View Post

Get your credit rating up, your skill set up, go take a certification course or two, and move to NOVA then, so you can then start complaining there as well-

at least the folks in NOVA are used to the crying from transplants, however I can imagine it wouldn't be as much crying, since you would finally have the grand oppurtunity to appease your master over there, and could throw Prince Georgian's under the bus from afar, kind of how most seem to do currently via hiding behind their internet browsers-

Who wastes so much time being a negative ned to every thing, I can imagine a few of you scared to walk to your mailbox, and locking your car door at every stop light-

It's actually pretty sad

While I do feel that there is much complaining and little action, I'm not so sure people are trapped in Prince Georges County. Every county can improve over its shortfalls. And that is the hope I have. How can a county improve if people don't put any work into it and just pick up and move? Communities just don't happen. They are cultivated.

Some people, like myself, aren't interested in NOVA because of the traffic. I love my neighborhood, though I could use a bigger home. Fear is what you make it. If you want to believe the boogeyman is out there, then you will act as if it is so.

Old 11-01-2011, 11:36 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,979,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdiggs1 View Post
Fair enough. I would say interacting with other groups of people is beneficial. And I guess using the word "all" would make it a blanket statement. I guess I would say this: a college educated black person, on average, would know more about white society than a white person would know about black society. I say college educated because the more formal education you have, the more likely you work around white people. The workplace is one of the only places in which different races of people truly interact with each other on an ongoing basis.
I can agree with that. I think education definitely plays a significant role.

Old 11-01-2011, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boreatwork View Post
Somebody with actual living experience in PG can tell you this information without numbers and stats. Really I think more white ppl are moving in. As a black person if you can't understand why black ppl want to live around other black ppl then ???????? And no Pg doesnt represent factual white dominated professional society. And your gripe is? If you are small minded and only know PG thats on you but its not a fault. Its the same as white kids only knowing white boy things. When I went to college I had a big culture shock but that helped me become more well rounded. However I didnt conform to some white dominated culture because it was the norm . Meatkins why even live in PG really?
And you think that's a good thing? I keep hearing people use that as the rebuttal but I think I already explained my position on that point. Let me put it like this, I went to rent a SUV recently while I was getting my SUV worked on. As the guy (who was white) who was checking the rental was making sure the vehicle was okay for me to drive off, he changes the radio station to a Hip Hop station. I just kind of scratched my head because I guess he thought because I was black that I must obviously listen to Hip Hop, which is somewhat true but still. Without asking me, or even knowing me he made an assumption about me. That's what you do when you don't know groups of people, you make assumptions, because you have nothing to go on. And by the way this was in Northern VA, so take that for what it's worth.

Old 11-01-2011, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boreatwork View Post
Its your wife's job as a teacher to nip that in the bud then. Not ridicule. I know she probably comes home and you guys sit together and complain Pg kids this and Pg kids that. I know you're trying to preach diversity but you do it in the most arrogant smug way
When did I say my wife ridiculed? This is why so many arguments start on here. I never said anything about my wife even reacting to that situation in a negative way, it was just something she pointed out to me. And I never said that my way is the right way, I just don't agree with that thinking. That's my opinion, if you have your opinion, then fine, I don't fault you for that. I simply was asking how does this prepare kids for the real world. It's a legit question. It's not to speak negatively of PG, it's just a side effect of living in a homogeneous area. Have you ever lived in a house full of women? It's a lot different than living in a house mixed with men and women? Being in a place where everybody is the same or have similar backgrounds usually has some unintended consequences. The same can be said for places like Vienna, Potomac, McLean, and other mostly white areas. If you are black, try going to shop in those areas and see how people look at you. That's is an effect of living like this, that's all I was saying.

Old 11-01-2011, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
I haven't read the entire article. Did anyone see any mention of Adelphi being the most diverse neighborhood in the region? It would be a shame if it wasn't mentioned since it is in Prince George's County.
It did not. It only mentioned Hyattsville and that was brief.

Old 11-01-2011, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool rob View Post

Who wastes so much time being a negative ned to every thing, I can imagine a few of you scared to walk to your mailbox, and locking your car door at every stop light, steaming mad about them "uppity such and such's" in the gated community, who had the nerve to buy yet another nice vehicle, or send their child to blankety blank school, don't they know we are all supposed to be broke eating sardines and spam like me!-

It's actually pretty sad
No one is throwing PG County under the bus. I haven't said anything that isn't the truth about PG. I just brought the article up here for discussion not to bash PG. We have a lot of parts that aren't diverse, that's not negative, that's a fact. Is it really a big secret? I mean you act like someone said something about your mother that wasn't true. Aren't you an adult? You can't have an adult conversation without attacking people? If you don't like what is being said, then why are you even wasting your time? I remember you saying you went to Gwynn Park, judging from how juvenile you act, it doesn't seem that hard to believe.

Old 11-01-2011, 12:17 PM

692 posts, read 1,731,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatkins View Post
Prince George’s County: Growing, and growing more segregated, census shows - The Washington Post

This is sort of a continuation of the conversation that we were having in another thread, but this article was interesting but also not surprising. I disagree with some of the experts' assertions of why black people are moving here. I think there are other factors that definitely play a role. Even with that said, I wonder if the people who decide to live here because they want their children to live near successful black professionals, ever think about how different the world will be once they live this county to go to college and/or to work. It's great to have that aspect, but other than a few places in this county, most of the county's population doesn't that represent what life will be like growing up as a professional.
I grew up in Prince George's County and attended UMD in College Park. I was sometimes the only or one of only two blacks in a class. It never bothered me. It may have been an adjustment for some but not one they couldn't handle.

The person who had hardest time was a black young woman who attended a predominantly white high school in Montgomery county. She would never relax around blacks and hispanics. This is even in a group of several different races.

Last edited by liliblu; 11-01-2011 at 01:31 PM.. Reason: word added
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland