U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 02:38 PM
Status: "Just when I thought I was out they pull me back in." (set 8 days ago)

15,684 posts, read 14,093,402 times
As one former PG Superintendant (John Murphy) once said, "The parents send the schools the best kids that they have".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 04:55 PM

2,629 posts, read 1,677,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowian View Post
Sorry, you can't just blame the lack of knowledge about the capital of Maryland, or the name of Maryland's governor, on just the home. Public schools have to take the children as they receive them, then educate them. So, if a parent does not (or does) teach the child about current events school must. The schools are charged with doing so. If a child is in the 4th grade and thinks Washington, DC is the capital of Maryland (not even incorrectly guessing Baltimore, but DC no less), there is a failure, and it is not just in the home.

I am not one to ignore my own charge to eduate my children. But I am also not one to release a school system from its accountability. Not with the taxes I pay.

What good is a school teaching a kid about states and capitals if the parents doesn't make the kids do the homework or even check to see if they got it right? Then the kid goes back to class with unfinished or incorrect homework. A teacher can teach all day, but it is the parent's responsibility to help make what the kid learned stick. Video games and tv won't help. Especially if the kid is hungry and there's domestic strife.

Old 11-01-2011, 05:22 PM

16,830 posts, read 6,637,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liliblu View Post
I grew up in Prince George's County and attended UMD in College Park. I was sometimes the only or one of only two blacks in a class. It never bothered me. It may have been an adjustment for some but not one they couldn't handle.

The person who had hardest time was a black young woman who attended a predominantly white high school in Montgomery county. She would never relax around blacks and hispanics. This is even in a group of several different races.
I had a friend like that in business school. Nice girl but her family, Blacks from the Caribbean purposely limited her contact with Blacks, outside of the family. She went to an Ivy League school and did some volunteer work in "the hood" and that made matters worse. By the time I met her she was visibly uncomfortable in Black settings which was ironic because we were members of the Consortium, a program designed for minority MBAs.

Old 11-01-2011, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdiggs1 View Post
Me personally, I just moved to DC from Atlanta, and I live in NOVA currently. but I also desire to move to a black area of DC and/or Prince George's County. I prefer to be around black people just like the people in the article. Why? Because those are my people; we share a common history, culture, and experience.

I don't necessarily have a problem living around different races; my main concern is that other races would have a problem living around me. There are whites and asians who do not want to live around black people; or they could live around black people, but they wouldn't want to live in an area that is majority black. To some people 3 or 4 black families on the block is a good neighborhood, but 13 or 14 black families is a ghetto.
That's the truth but there are good reasons for their reluctance.

Violent Halloween night in D.C. leaves 6 shot - The Washington Post

Old 11-01-2011, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
Unfortunately this is not indicative of schools but the lack of education as a priority in the home. In addition, most poor families don't have the means to leave the area to help their child experience new cultures, new cities, or new ways of life that gives them a broader view of the world they live in. It is pretty hard to travel if you're dependent on public transportation. Let's face it, how many parents will sit and watch National Geographic or PBS with their children as apposed to BET or MTV? And what about those who can't afford cable? And then those that can afford to get out and experience new places don't seem to care that their child needs those experiences. Both parent and teacher have to work together. Unfortunately, they are often strangers and even work against each other.
It's not just black poor families where education is not stressed. The Black middle class has to take a good hard look at itself as well.

Rich, Black, Flunking | Feature | Oakland, Berkeley & Bay Area News & Arts Coverage

Quote:
The black parents wanted an explanation. Doctors, lawyers, judges, and insurance brokers, many had come to the upscale Cleveland suburb of Shaker Heights specifically because of its stellar school district. They expected their children to succeed academically, but most were performing poorly. African-American students were lagging far behind their white classmates in every measure of academic success: grade-point average, standardized test scores, and enrollment in advanced-placement courses. On average, black students earned a 1.9 GPA while their white counterparts held down an average of 3.45. Other indicators were equally dismal. It made no sense.

When these depressing statistics were published in a high school newspaper in mid-1997, black parents were troubled by the news and upset that the newspaper had exposed the problem in such a public way. Seeking guidance, one parent called a prominent authority on minority academic achievement.

Old 11-01-2011, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liliblu View Post
How old are these students? I've subbed in several of county's schools and I've never come across kids who think this way. In fact they tend to be more aware of different cultures and races.
My brother is in the 7th grade at the PG Middle school. One homework assignment was to write their universal address. That was it. They were to write what planet, continent, country, state and city they live in.

If by the 7th grade you don't know what planet you're on there is a big problem.
So the mere fact that such a stupid assignment is assigned leads me to believe North Beach's story rings true.

Old 11-01-2011, 06:17 PM
Status: "Just when I thought I was out they pull me back in." (set 8 days ago)

15,684 posts, read 14,093,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
My brother is in the 7th grade at the PG Middle school. One homework assignment was to write their universal address. That was it. They were to write what planet, continent, country, state and city they live in.

If by the 7th grade you don't know what planet you're on there is a big problem.
So the mere fact that such a stupid assignment is assigned leads me to believe North Beach's story rings true.

You would be amazed at the number of upperclassmen (11th/12th) that can't pick out the continents on an unlabelled map, or find MD on a US map. Even in the solidly middle class high school I'm at many think DC is the capital of MD, Annapolis might as well be on the moon and the Chesapeake Bay is in a different solar system. Not all, of course, but a large enough number to be noticeable and of concern.

I mess with my Psych kids using an everyday memory test, things you see every day or should know. Fully 1/2 of them get "How many states are there in the US?" wrong. About 1/3 miss "On a stoplight is the green on the top or the bottom?".

Who do we blame? High school teachers blame the middle school, the middle school blames the elementary and the elementary gets dumped on even more.

In much of the County some schools have a 100%+ turnover in student numbers in a school year-kids move from mom to dad to grandma then back to mom, throw in an eviction. Many of these moves cross jurisdictions and then we expect them to pass a damned MSA/HSA.

Old 11-01-2011, 06:48 PM

416 posts, read 494,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
That's the truth but there are good reasons for their reluctance.

Violent Halloween night in D.C. leaves 6 shot - The Washington Post

Somehow I doubt that any of those shooters are homeowners...

To fear middle class professional African-Americans in your neighborhood because this kind of thing might happen is about as rational as fearing that middle class professional whites moving in the neighborhood are members of the Aryan Brotherhood, that Italian Americans are in the Mafia, or that having a police officer move in next door increases the chance that you'll be a victim of police brutality.

Old 11-01-2011, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblingMan View Post
Somehow I doubt that any of those shooters are homeowners...

To fear middle class professional African-Americans in your neighborhood because this kind of thing might happen is about as rational as fearing that middle class professional whites moving in the neighborhood are members of the Aryan Brotherhood, that Italian Americans are in the Mafia, or that having a police officer move in next door increases the chance that you'll be a victim of police brutality.
You'd be surprised how many middle class black kids embrace ghetto culture. It's not that far fetch.

Old 11-01-2011, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
You would be amazed at the number of upperclassmen (11th/12th) that can't pick out the continents on an unlabelled map, or find MD on a US map. Even in the solidly middle class high school I'm at many think DC is the capital of MD, Annapolis might as well be on the moon and the Chesapeake Bay is in a different solar system. Not all, of course, but a large enough number to be noticeable and of concern.

I mess with my Psych kids using an everyday memory test, things you see every day or should know. Fully 1/2 of them get "How many states are there in the US?" wrong. About 1/3 miss "On a stoplight is the green on the top or the bottom?".

Who do we blame? High school teachers blame the middle school, the middle school blames the elementary and the elementary gets dumped on even more.

In much of the County some schools have a 100%+ turnover in student numbers in a school year-kids move from mom to dad to grandma then back to mom, throw in an eviction. Many of these moves cross jurisdictions and then we expect them to pass a damned MSA/HSA.
Sounds like Season 4 of the Wire, very depressing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland