U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-22-2011, 10:41 AM

416 posts, read 498,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatkins View Post
Very very few. There's only a few that come to mind: Bangkok Golden (Thai Restaurant), Mama Stella (heard it is good), Smoke Shack, B & J's (an Accokeek Landmark), Hovermale's and Charlie's Pizzeria.
I'd add Proud Mary's to the list.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2011, 10:58 AM

7,033 posts, read 4,416,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblingMan View Post
I'd add Proud Mary's to the list.
Yeah I was going to add that, but I was thinking more of carryout type places, but yeah that definitely should be on the list.

Old 11-22-2011, 11:16 AM

132 posts, read 263,714 times
Quote:
Very very few. There's only a few that come to mind: Bangkok Golden (Thai Restaurant), Mama Stella (heard it is good), Smoke Shack, B & J's (an Accokeek Landmark), Hovermale's and Charlie's Pizzeria.

Thanks for this list, I didn't think there were any Thai restaurants in this part of the county. And I didn't realize there was a Chick fil a in Brandywine...I cant stand traveling on Route 5 though

Old 11-22-2011, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothGuy View Post
Thanks for this list, I didn't think there were any Thai restaurants in this part of the county. And I didn't realize there was a Chick fil a in Brandywine...I cant stand traveling on Route 5 though
Yeah Bangkok Golden is a very well regarded Thai Restaurant. It has had write ups in the Post. There is also another Thai Restaurant at the National Harbor, but I am unsure what the quality of that is.

As far as going down Route 5, I don't blame you. Going up to Capitol Heights is usually a lot easier traffic wise.

Old 11-23-2011, 09:39 AM

12,902 posts, read 7,245,877 times
i like the 4 pho restaurants in beltsville/laurel [pho88 has a slight edge over phoVN1, imho], and sardi's peruvian chicken in beltsville is awesome.

Old 11-24-2011, 08:24 AM

9,400 posts, read 7,144,556 times
I like the suburban feel. Right now I live in College Park and I really don't think it's too bad at all. I like that it's more affordable than other parts of the DC area (my rent would probably be $1000 a month if this was Bethesda). I've also been around the Woodmore area a lot and it seems pretty quiet and peaceful despite being near two big roadways. I think PG gets a bad rap, there are a lot of parts that are pretty great.

Old 11-24-2011, 10:26 AM

16,867 posts, read 6,688,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothGuy View Post
I actually live in Camp Springs near Branch metro station which is close to Oxon Hill. The only sort of healthy food option I have is Chipotle in Clinton but I get tired of that. Why not put a Noodles and Company, Au Bon Pai, Panera Bread, or some sushi bars closer to the area. I even have to get on the beltway and drive to Capitol Heights just to go to Chick fil A! I will definetely be moving to Bowie or Hyattsville when my lease is up, or stop being lazy and cook
Chipotle isn't that healthy, loaded with calories and salt. Oh well I still like their food.

Old 11-24-2011, 12:39 PM

263 posts, read 338,143 times
I love living here in Greenbelt! Been here almost 5 months. I love that I'm so close to DC it's an easy Metro ride in and there is always parking at Greenbelt when I need it. I love the neighborhood, the fact I can walk to everything - I just adore Greenbelt (I live in Old Greenbelt). Neighbors are very friendly and we all look out for one another. My daughter also loves it here - we picked the right place. I work in PG County and my commute is fairly easy so no complaints there (I chose where to live partially by where my work was).

We have really enjoyed the food options too - we have a new fave restaurant in Greenway Plaza called Polla Cabana - Peruvian - the chicken is awesome and the fried plantain and rice and beans I swear I'm addicted too!

We also love going down to Franklin's and Busboys and Poets in Hyattsville - and then exploring on route 1 all the restaurants. I just feel like everything is so convenient to us.

Its suburban but urban enough as my daughter says - plenty of green around to enjoy - stroll around the lake or just go for a drive a bit. We just hit up Bowie Town Center and that was fun - should be even more fun now it is Christmas time.

Old 11-26-2011, 11:11 AM

22 posts, read 22,280 times
Quote:

Hilarious!! I went to elementary school with Clint Hovermale and the Charlies pizza kids (Cally, Patronda). Back in those days Charlie's was a greek pizzeria run by a greek family, the Alarofas(sp) family. I wonder if it's still them. Anyone know?

I'm in Texas so I can't just drive over to that place and check it out - though I will in a few months.

Old 11-26-2011, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buchanandrive View Post
Hilarious!! I went to elementary school with Clint Hovermale and the Charlies pizza kids (Cally, Patronda). Back in those days Charlie's was a greek pizzeria run by a greek family, the Alarofas(sp) family. I wonder if it's still them. Anyone know?

I'm in Texas so I can't just drive over to that place and check it out - though I will in a few months.
I haven't been to Charlie's in a long time, but I think Hovermale is run by the next generation these days. It is still just as good as it was when I was little.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland