Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 08:26 AM

52 posts, read 130,735 times

Advertisements

PG County offers something for everyone. The quality of growth and ability to mix native traditions and newcomer influences has shaped a population full of vitality, diversity, and prosperity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2011, 08:28 PM

1 posts, read 1,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by french paris View Post
about living,opportunities,diversity,education....or other things

Thanks in advance for your answers

Phil
I like the seediness of the Rt1 corridor with the small businesses and buildings half fallen down that were built in the 40's and 50's. It's not all dressed up but still has grit. Parts are changing, but I like busboys&poets and it will succeed, IMHO. The Thai place, not so much. Franklins is great!
It has some decent elem. schools but all the others are atrocious, you need to go private.
DC suburbs are absurdly expensive and this is the least expensive that is not too bad crime-wise. But there is always crime and bad crime within 5 miles. It's a balance, but Hyattsville is OK

Old 11-21-2011, 12:32 PM

219 posts, read 595,077 times
I really like PG county because it is not so congested like NoVA and Montgomery. I live and work in PG county and it is such a breeze driving back and forth to work. It is also easy to travel in and out of DC, affordable and diverse. I heard such bad things about PG county before I moved here in January and I honestly think that people over exxagerate this county. Sure there are some bad areas like Suitland and Capitol Heights but there are a lot of pretty good areas in PG county.

One of the main things about PG county is the lack of retail stores and diverse restaurants. I am young and I have the habit of eating out a lot. Its hard trying to eat healthy when the only restaurants around are Popeyes, Bojangles, Checkers, and Chinese takeouts. I live in Southern PG county so there arent too many choices down there. Bowie and Hyattsville seems to offer diverse restaurants and shopping from what I see.

Old 11-21-2011, 01:35 PM

10,261 posts, read 12,511,724 times
Thanks so much guys and....girls lol ,interesting to read you ( to learn )

Old 11-21-2011, 02:04 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,986,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothGuy View Post
I really like PG county because it is not so congested like NoVA and Montgomery. I live and work in PG county and it is such a breeze driving back and forth to work. It is also easy to travel in and out of DC, affordable and diverse. I heard such bad things about PG county before I moved here in January and I honestly think that people over exxagerate this county. Sure there are some bad areas like Suitland and Capitol Heights but there are a lot of pretty good areas in PG county.

One of the main things about PG county is the lack of retail stores and diverse restaurants. I am young and I have the habit of eating out a lot. Its hard trying to eat healthy when the only restaurants around are Popeyes, Bojangles, Checkers, and Chinese takeouts. I live in Southern PG county so there arent too many choices down there. Bowie and Hyattsville seems to offer diverse restaurants and shopping from what I see.
You must live in Oxon Hill.

It is definitely true, the northern part of the county has way more options. You have to stay in the gym living down in this part of the county.

Old 11-21-2011, 02:32 PM

45,379 posts, read 60,575,206 times
I don't live in PG but have worked there 28 years. I like the extreme southern end of the County below Croom. It has some of the best unspoiled land in the central part of the state, not cut up by development as has happened in Calvert and Charles. The PG shore of the Patuxent can allow you to see, in your mind's eye, the way things looked 250 years ago.

Old 11-21-2011, 02:33 PM

219 posts, read 595,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatkins View Post
You must live in Oxon Hill.

It is definitely true, the northern part of the county has way more options. You have to stay in the gym living down in this part of the county.
I actually live in Camp Springs near Branch metro station which is close to Oxon Hill. The only sort of healthy food option I have is Chipotle in Clinton but I get tired of that. Why not put a Noodles and Company, Au Bon Pai, Panera Bread, or some sushi bars closer to the area. I even have to get on the beltway and drive to Capitol Heights just to go to Chick fil A! I will definetely be moving to Bowie or Hyattsville when my lease is up, or stop being lazy and cook

Old 11-21-2011, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothGuy View Post
I actually live in Camp Springs near Branch metro station which is close to Oxon Hill. The only sort of healthy food option I have is Chipotle in Clinton but I get tired of that. Why not put a Noodles and Company, Au Bon Pai, Panera Bread, or some sushi bars closer to the area. I even have to get on the beltway and drive to Capitol Heights just to go to Chick fil A! I will definetely be moving to Bowie or Hyattsville when my lease is up, or stop being lazy and cook
Understandable. The options down in this area are limited. I would recommend you try Brandywine though. They have a newer shopping center with a Panda Express , Bonefish Grill and some other spots. There is also a Chick-fil-a on the other side of the highway.

Old 11-22-2011, 05:30 AM

195 posts, read 473,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatkins View Post
Understandable. The options down in this area are limited. I would recommend you try Brandywine though. They have a newer shopping center with a Panda Express , Bonefish Grill and some other spots. There is also a Chick-fil-a on the other side of the highway.
Are there any good non-chain places in the southern part of the county? In Hyattsville, we have some chains, but also a few solid independent places like Franklin's, Hank's, Shagga, etc. ...

Old 11-22-2011, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCR25 View Post
Are there any good non-chain places in the southern part of the county? In Hyattsville, we have some chains, but also a few solid independent places like Franklin's, Hank's, Shagga, etc. ...
Very very few. There's only a few that come to mind: Bangkok Golden (Thai Restaurant), Mama Stella (heard it is good), Smoke Shack, B & J's (an Accokeek Landmark), Hovermale's and Charlie's Pizzeria.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland