Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 10:25 AM

219 posts, read 592,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatkins View Post
I don't understand why this is being brought up. I feel like I'm missing the point. What does the race of the gang members or your neighbors have to do with anything? I don't care what race the gangs are, if there are 40-50 of them attacking people, I would want out too.
I agree, I don't understand the purpose of race being pointed out as well
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2015, 12:28 PM

1 posts, read 1,316 times
What I hate about Charles County is that there is very little opportunity for professionals to grow in the area. It appears that the old school people are so bent on holding on the old ways that they are stunting its growth. Sure developments are producing a large number minimum wage jobs, but I do not see a massive growth in professional jobs. Which is why myself and my husband are leaving.

Old 01-12-2015, 01:48 PM

673 posts, read 1,177,724 times
What I hate about Southern Maryland is the abundance of farms, lack of retail, and poor access to Major Highways. It's almost a isolated region. I know families in Calvert County who have to travel to Anne Arundel County or Prince Georges for basic needs and decent shopping

Old 01-12-2015, 01:53 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,155,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
I don't understand why this is being brought up. I feel like I'm missing the point. What does the race of the gang members or your neighbors have to do with anything? I don't care what race the gangs are, if there are 40-50 of them attacking people, I would want out too.
Exactly.

Old 01-13-2015, 09:33 AM

1,253 posts, read 1,552,717 times
Like: Nothing
Hate: It's country

Old 01-13-2015, 12:22 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,846,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleHaze1100 View Post
What I hate about Southern Maryland is the abundance of farms, lack of retail, and poor access to Major Highways. It's almost a isolated region. I know families in Calvert County who have to travel to Anne Arundel County or Prince Georges for basic needs and decent shopping

Not to beat up on you but....You are in the wrong part of MD if you those things bother you. You are also part of the problem down there because like it or not, southern MD is rural and will most likely remain so move further north if you want the amenities not in your back yard. Most people live down there to escape all of that and enjoy the peace and quiet. Abundance of farms? All of MD use to be farms, especially PG and Montgomery counties. It was mentioned above how transplants move to southern MD and want to transform it into what it isn't; go back to your previous rat race and quit complaining about the isolated region you elected to live in. You saw it all before you moved, no?

Ever been to New Orleans? It is not the intellectual epicenter of the state of Louisiana though lots of people love living there for some reason. Drive a few miles from that city and you are deep in bayou country. Some of those parishes scare me. Southern MD is ahead of that.

You can get anything you need in Waldorf; I know that for a fact.

Old 01-13-2015, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I liked Southern MD better 25 years ago. The 3 Counties were among the poorest in the State so went after development like their hair was on fire. Calvert got CCNPP, Waldorf got malls and St. Mary's got an expansion of NAS PAX. The roads were upgraded/dualized so all of a sudden areas that were once considered the hinterland became commutable.

The demographic change in PG caused a lot of white flight to Calvert and Charles both, where housing and taxes were less and the schools were better. Charles is now expanding due to black flight for the same reasons. White flight had already come.

What irks me the most, keeping in mind that I moved here from rural Western PA, is over the last decade or two the newcomers have moved here and want to change the area into carbon copies of what they left. Turned out that the idea of living in a rural area with the various compromises that have to be made was more attractive than the reality of living there.

Hence we have people demanding the things they left behind: specialty stores, more and more amenities and public services (even when it's not cost effective to provide them), mega-stores, etc. even when the demand really isn't there. They also complain incessantly about the "type" of people whose familes have lived here for centuries. They demand that farmers stop farming, hunting be prohibited and watermen not work the Bay. They've been successful in some of that, by the way.
You stole most of my thunder.
I moved to MD on my 16th birthday 11/1973 - my father was military and we lived on the base of Indian Head; most transplants don't know the base is the reason for the town. I graduated from Lackey HS and lived there until 1987. I got tired of the 1 hr commute into DC so I bought a home in Ft Washington near the border of Temple Hills - it was Camp Springs 25 years ago.

Southern MD is not for those who complain about it. the only thing I don't like about it is the constant housing developments which puts 1000s of people on the 3 main arteries through PGC, 4,5 & 210. I drove down to Port Tobacco to visit a friend yesterday and the traffic on back roads is ridiculous to the point they are breaking down due to the fact they were not engineered for the traffic.

That in bold is one of my peeves; they complain about the same here in Ft Washington. If they choose to move to Hooterville they need to adopt an Oliver Douglas POV and maket he most of it. If they absolutely need to get to OZ they can follow the yellow brick road.

As far as what it was like decades ago...Indian Head was the town as it was the main military installation along the Potomac. It was - still is - a munitions manufacturing laboratory and up until recently was the training facility for the EOD of all branches of the US Armed Forces as well as for some foreign.. Waldorf and La Plata were 2 light truck stop towns along 301. St Charles ruined Charles county and was the precursor to the white flight building boom in St Mary's and Calvert as well as southern Ann Arundel counties. We have seen what has happened there.

Old 01-13-2015, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyxius View Post
This shows how fickle and misinformed people are. That's why we have sprawl and other areas in need of redevelopment.

Which people are the fickle and misinformed?

Old 01-13-2015, 04:12 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,626,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
Which people are the fickle and misinformed?
I made that post 3 years ago. Reviewing North Point's post, people move from one location for another and then expect their new location to be like the location they left. After the novelty wears off, they missed everything they left behind and demand for new things. I realized now that the development itself is not the problem, its not preparing for it.

More houses and more shopping means more drivers but yet they have the same road configuration for the past 10-15 years . You build something, it will attract people. Prepare for it.

Old 01-16-2015, 06:59 AM

44,929 posts, read 59,929,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post

Not to beat up on you but....You are in the wrong part of MD if you those things bother you. You are also part of the problem down there because like it or not, southern MD is rural and will most likely remain so move further north if you want the amenities not in your back yard. Most people live down there to escape all of that and enjoy the peace and quiet. Abundance of farms? All of MD use to be farms, especially PG and Montgomery counties. It was mentioned above how transplants move to southern MD and want to transform it into what it isn't; go back to your previous rat race and quit complaining about the isolated region you elected to live in. You saw it all before you moved, no?

Ever been to New Orleans? It is not the intellectual epicenter of the state of Louisiana though lots of people love living there for some reason. Drive a few miles from that city and you are deep in bayou country. Some of those parishes scare me. Southern MD is ahead of that.

You can get anything you need in Waldorf; I know that for a fact.
I hear the thunder you stole from me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland