Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 09:49 PM

22 posts, read 53,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
Yes- that was the "ABC Drive-in Theater" and the property has been used since the 70s as a commuter parking lot. A few years ago there were plans to build a small shopping center there, but the plans fell through.

One big difference in the area today, is that residents of the Route 210 corridor routinely go to Waldorf, MD now for major shopping. Waldorf has grown into a big regional hub city for shopping and dining (although it has no major industry or employment) and in the early 90s they connected it with Accokeek by a fast new highway. The little rinky-dink Livingston Square mall is now badly aged and practically forgotten.

I know the drive-in by the swan shopping center is now a park and ride but it looks like the theatre up the hwy, on the oxon hill/ ft. wash border, is still just a grassy field. I remember the screen was left up there for years after it was closed down. Is it really a commuter parking lot like the one by swan center?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2011, 04:32 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,069,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buchanandrive View Post
I know the drive-in by the swan shopping center is now a park and ride but it looks like the theatre up the hwy, on the oxon hill/ ft. wash border, is still just a grassy field. I remember the screen was left up there for years after it was closed down. Is it really a commuter parking lot like the one by swan center?

Judging by the current bus timetables at Metro - Home page it appears they may have finally stopped using it as a commuter parking lot for metrobus riders. But it was such for a great many years, and on the printed bus timetables it was listed as "ABC Drive In" even after the theater was removed. It used be awkward because busses in the evening had a hard time turning across traffic to get in and out of it, which wasted riders' valuable minutes. Just a few years ago there was talk of building a small shopping center there, but the plans fell through. Across the highway from it until I guess the 1980s used to be "Kerby's Farm Market." The late Bertha Kerby gave many lectures to schoolchildren about local history and I think was either a major contributor or volunteer at Great Southeast Hospital.

Right in that area is also the henson creek hiker-biker trail. It's 5-1/2 miles long, paved, and follows alongside henson creek, starting at Temple hills road inside the Beltway, and then continuing south-westward, past the ice rink, then underneath highway 210 to the lower end of lower Oxon hill road. It was built during the 1980s by the parks and planning commission.

Last edited by slowlane3; 12-07-2011 at 05:20 PM..

Old 01-19-2012, 02:25 PM

1 posts, read 874 times
all this information is really cool to know. i am a grandchild of William Alton Gallahan III and Patrica Ann Gallahan (Denison).

Old 02-05-2015, 01:28 PM

2 posts, read 1,254 times
Amazing posts with some great information. This thread is worthy of a new post to keep the information alive.

I grew up in Fort Washington from 1976 all the way to the late 1990's. I attended Fort Washington Forest Elementary School and was also enrolled at Silesia Early Learning Center for after school care.

I have fond memories from those times, everything from eating at Shakey's Pizza at Livingston Square, the drive-in theaters, and all of my friends that lived on Taylor Avenue. I even remember our favorite hangout spot, which was called the "Community Market". It was a small store located in the shopping center where Trak-Auto and Dart Drug were located (the name escapes me at the moment). The market had some arcade games, slush puppies, and tons of garbage pail kids for sale. What else did a young kid need? We would always hang out at the store, grab dinner from Charlie's Pizza and even rented movies next door at Fort Washington Video. Those were the days!

Let's keep those memories coming. If anyone else grew up in the area, I'd love to hear about it.

Old 02-06-2015, 05:27 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,069,986 times
YOU ALL NEED TO CHECK OUT THIS SITE https://www.facebook.com/groups/ftwashingtonmd

Old 02-13-2015, 08:47 AM

2 posts, read 1,254 times
That is a cool Facebook group, but I'm still waiting for approval to join. Geeez....whomever is in charge is SLOW.

Hopefully I get access because I have a ton of old photos that I can contribute.

Old 03-13-2015, 01:13 PM

629 posts, read 945,915 times
There's a Clinton group on Facebook too.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/149487501799474/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland