Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2013, 02:50 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,412,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EducatedBro82 View Post
This needs to be closed
Why? Maybe merged. We probably should have a PG sucks sticky or something. Or a sticky for PG schools and PG crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2013, 02:53 PM

1,259 posts, read 2,257,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtvatitans View Post
Can you post the statistics for that area?

Point being, when you counter your points when someone says something like that (which I didn't even say I agreed with his point), you hurt your point when you exaggerate, which no offense, you do often on here. I'm just sitting here thinking, like really, you don't have to exaggerate just to prove your point. Just give people facts as they are.

I agree NoVA has gang issues. I know there are Asian gangs in Annandale, some hispanic gangs in the Manassas area and perhaps some sprinkled around other areas, but to say it's HEAVY? I don't know, maybe you have some information that is going to shock me. If it's not being reported in the news media, but you still know this, then I'm assuming you have a source of information that you can share with us
My DH works with social services and the court system in Nova. He says the gangs over there aren't really killing people, they are mostly dealing drugs. He says they try and stay under the radar because of the money they make over there. One thing he told me is that Nova has the most multi-cultural gangs he's ever seen, as in you'll have a gang and it looks like a United Nations convention.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:23 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,981,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missingatlanta View Post
My DH works with social services and the court system in Nova. He says the gangs over there aren't really killing people, they are mostly dealing drugs. He says they try and stay under the radar because of the money they make over there. One thing he told me is that Nova has the most multi-cultural gangs he's ever seen, as in you'll have a gang and it looks like a United Nations convention.
Wouldn't doubt it. Never said that gangs don't exist there, I just wondered if saying that they were 'heavy' was accurate.

Anyway this thread is really becoming stupid. No one has talked about a dangerous PG town for a few pages.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:28 PM

671 posts, read 1,546,185 times
You know a non dangerous pg town? Fort Washington. Crime there according to online crime reporting sites consistently show it as having virtually no crime, and definitely less crime than the seriously overhyped nova side of Alexandria. We have kids that play outside unsupervised in the neighborhood in the evening because it is that safe. And with that fort Washington police station coming in, I can expect police response times to be a mere few minutes if god forbid anything does happen!

Old 07-10-2013, 03:59 AM

411 posts, read 901,083 times
Quote:
Wouldn't doubt it. Never said that gangs don't exist there, I just wondered if saying that they were 'heavy' was accurate.

Anyway this thread is really becoming stupid. No one has talked about a dangerous PG town for a few pages.

I know there are decent pockets in each bad community but I'll give it a shot...

I would stay away from...

District heights
Temple Hills
Suitland/Seat Pleasant/silver Hill/Marlow heights
Forest heights
Forestville
Langley Park
Camp Springs
Kettering
Landover
Lanham
Oxon Hill
Capitol Heights
Greenbelt
Riverdale
Beltsville
Cheverly
New Carrolton
Largo
Bladensburg

Fort Washington is nice I guess but it's not what it once was. Perhaps it's improving. Clinton and Mitchellville are pretty suburban and they are completely black. Accokeek is rural and black. Brandywine is rural and black. Croom is mixed but way out there. Bowie is mostly black and a nice community for the most part. Laurel and UM have white pockets but are mostly black. Those two communities are a little nicer than the ones listed above. Cheltenham is black and rural. Hyattsville area is a mixed bag. Lots of blacks and Hispanics along with a few whites and Asians. A lot of people on here defend Hyattsville. I grew up in Maryland and Hyattsville was always known as a rough place (80's and 90's). The housing stock in Hyattsville is very nice. Lots of charming old homes and neighborhoods like Mt. Ranier, Berwyn Heights (over half white), Cottage City, Edmonson and a few others. Still, I wouldn't call the area "safe" as it borders on some rough DC hoods as well as having it's own riff-raff too.

Last edited by fortwashingtonkid; 07-10-2013 at 04:26 AM..

Old 07-10-2013, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by molukai View Post
You know a non dangerous pg town? Fort Washington. Crime there according to online crime reporting sites consistently show it as having virtually no crime, and definitely less crime than the seriously overhyped nova side of Alexandria. We have kids that play outside unsupervised in the neighborhood in the evening because it is that safe. And with that fort Washington police station coming in, I can expect police response times to be a mere few minutes if god forbid anything does happen!
I've mentioned this before, but you can't compare a city like Alexandria to a suburban town like Fort Washington, it's an apples and oranges comparison. Alexandria is much more densely populated, has wider range of socio economics and has easier access to get to than Fort Washington.

Fort Washington isn't bad though, but I thought this was about the most dangerous not the most non-dangerous? You sure you aren't getting paid for this?

Old 07-10-2013, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortwashingtonkid View Post
Fort Washington is nice I guess but it's not what it once was. Perhaps it's improving. Clinton and Mitchellville are pretty suburban and they are completely black. Accokeek is rural and black. Brandywine is rural and black. Croom is mixed but way out there. Bowie is mostly black and a nice community for the most part. Laurel and UM have white pockets but are mostly black. Those two communities are a little nicer than the ones listed above. Cheltenham is black and rural. Hyattsville area is a mixed bag. Lots of blacks and Hispanics along with a few whites and Asians. A lot of people on here defend Hyattsville. I grew up in Maryland and Hyattsville was always known as a rough place (80's and 90's). The housing stock in Hyattsville is very nice. Lots of charming old homes and neighborhoods like Mt. Ranier, Berwyn Heights (over half white), Cottage City, Edmonson and a few others. Still, I wouldn't call the area "safe" as it borders on some rough DC hoods as well as having it's own riff-raff too.
Accokeek isn't as mixed as it used to be, but there is still a very sizable non-black population there. I don't know if we should classify it as rural anymore either. Since I moved from there I counted at least 11 new subdivisions. It has lost some of it's character and become suburban. Ironically there was a strong push years ago to get a Walmart down there but residents blocked it because they didn't want the crime, but instead now they have the traffic.

Old 07-10-2013, 11:54 AM

631 posts, read 1,395,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fortwashingtonkid View Post
I know there are decent pockets in each bad community but I'll give it a shot...

I would stay away from...

District heights
Temple Hills
Suitland/Seat Pleasant/silver Hill/Marlow heights
Forest heights
Forestville
Langley Park
Camp Springs
Kettering
Landover
Lanham
Oxon Hill
Capitol Heights
Greenbelt
Riverdale
Beltsville
Cheverly
New Carrolton
Largo
Bladensburg

Im confused as to how you would stay away form these areas. Greenbelt has maybe 1 rough area? (SpringHill Lake) And there are a lot of White residents in Greenbelt, especially the Old Greenbelt area. Beltsville has a bad area? Where would that be? White epeople live in Beltsville, especilly the Vansville/Muirkirk Road, Edmonson Road area and Calverton Area/CrossCreek Golf Community. Since when was Kettering dangerous? The only thing I can say that makes it dangerous is the residents as the homes are being rented out to the Section 8 holders.

Brandywine borders Charles County and will I thought still had a white population.

Bowie, Laurel, & UM will always have a sizeable white population as they border another county (AA, Howard, &Calvert Counties) Laurel due to the ICC, BRAC, and upcoming LTC will draw more white Families.

Old 07-10-2013, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EducatedBro82 View Post
Im confused as to how you would stay away form these areas. Greenbelt has maybe 1 rough area? (SpringHill Lake) And there are a lot of White residents in Greenbelt, especially the Old Greenbelt area. Beltsville has a bad area? Where would that be? White epeople live in Beltsville, especilly the Vansville/Muirkirk Road, Edmonson Road area and Calverton Area/CrossCreek Golf Community. Since when was Kettering dangerous? The only thing I can say that makes it dangerous is the residents as the homes are being rented out to the Section 8 holders.

Brandywine borders Charles County and will I thought still had a white population.

Bowie, Laurel, & UM will always have a sizeable white population as they border another county (AA, Howard, &Calvert Counties) Laurel due to the ICC, BRAC, and upcoming LTC will draw more white Families.
Quite a few Whites in Brandywine heck we still got quite a few up route 5 in Camp Springs. Kettering homes are going Section 8? That's sad. I remember when my mom was house shopping in the mid 90s how much she liked that area.

Old 07-10-2013, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Accokeek isn't as mixed as it used to be, but there is still a very sizable non-black population there. I don't know if we should classify it as rural anymore either. Since I moved from there I counted at least 11 new subdivisions. It has lost some of it's character and become suburban. Ironically there was a strong push years ago to get a Walmart down there but residents blocked it because they didn't want the crime, but instead now they have the traffic.
I still don't think any of these are truly dangerous. Now whether they are desirable places to live that's a whole other topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland