Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Developing Property Near Bowie State
Good Idea! When do we build?!?! 12 60.00%
Bad Idea! Are they insane?!?! 5 25.00%
Not sure. Sell me on it. 3 15.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 10:40 AM

2,330 posts, read 4,399,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
If anything, I wouldn't mind turning it into a very green research park as an extension of the university like M-Square is to UMD. Make it a beautiful campus like UNC Charlotte.
UNC Charlotte area along US Highway 29, NC Highway 49(N. Tryon Street), and W.T. Harris Boulevard are some very nice corridors with nice shopping centers and apartment/condos. I also like how they widen I-85 to 8 Lanes up towards Concord t complement the new I-495 Beltway which should be complete(taken over 20 years to build out) within the next 2-3 years. They are also planning on building a commuter Train and/or Light Rail towards UNC Charlotte from Uptown Charlotte which is Great although it will be nice f Charlotte could build a Subway System like Atlanta.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2012, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
Yeah well if there weren't already plenty of crowded buses running on that corridor there would be no reason for the train!

Who would propose placing a train line where there was no demand?
Which brings back my point as to if the Demand is sooo damn high for a train then Why in the Hell can't they build a Rapid Heavy Rail Subway instead of a BS Trolley like Light Rail that operates like a Bus with tracks..........

Old 01-07-2012, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by (-) View Post
i wonder if it would be possible for the university (state) to purchase the surrounding land for the express purpose of perhaps starting some sort of agricultural related curriculum for students at the HBCU. just a thought.
FAIL!!!!!!!

Old 01-07-2012, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
A very neat idea and would probably be unique to Bowie State. I don't even think UMES has an ag program.
Does Moorehouse, Hampton, John C. Smith, Howard, Spellman, NC A&T, South Carolina State, Clark Atlanta, Virginia State, or Norfolk State have the same successful ag program?????????

Old 01-07-2012, 01:22 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,638,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
Route 1 has enough room for widening north of Beltsville, US Highway 29, and Highway 198 are all within a short distance......
There are tracks closely parallel to Route 1 and it enters Laurel along one way streets for each direction with a 35 where it meets 198 which is also one way streets. US 29 is on the other side of I-95. Approaching Contee Rd, there are businesses on both sides of Route 1. We want to subtract bottlenecks not add.

Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795
Pure 100% BS because the Highways in the Maryland Suburbs have more Bottleneck Traffic than the Highways in Metro Atlanta in which most of their Highways are 10-14 Lanes.....
Doesn't excuse the fact that Atlanta traffic is bad despite its 14 lane highways.

Old 01-07-2012, 01:43 PM

46 posts, read 65,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
Does Moorehouse, Hampton, John C. Smith, Howard, Spellman, NC A&T, South Carolina State, Clark Atlanta, Virginia State, or Norfolk State have the same successful ag program?????????
I'm not sure why any of these schools would need ag programs, though I'm not sure that A&T doesn't. However, U of MD - College Park has some Ag related courses, so the state would be better served making certain that state schools don't replicate programs to cut costs.

To the topic, Prince George's county is in dire need of commercial development and more specifically corporate business presence. Looking at the satellite maps of the county on Google Maps, Prince George's is far too underdeveloped to compete in the state of Maryland and within the DC area. Being close to public transit makes the area more attractive. If that is where the development goes, I would support it. However, my preference is to develop with corporate presence in mind at New Carrollton metro and between Largo and Morgan Blvd.

Old 01-07-2012, 08:36 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,977,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Allegiance View Post
I'm not sure why any of these schools would need ag programs, though I'm not sure that A&T doesn't. However, U of MD - College Park has some Ag related courses, so the state would be better served making certain that state schools don't replicate programs to cut costs.

To the topic, Prince George's county is in dire need of commercial development and more specifically corporate business presence. Looking at the satellite maps of the county on Google Maps, Prince George's is far too underdeveloped to compete in the state of Maryland and within the DC area. Being close to public transit makes the area more attractive. If that is where the development goes, I would support it. However, my preference is to develop with corporate presence in mind at New Carrollton metro and between Largo and Morgan Blvd.
I'm an A&T alum. Our agriculture program is one of the major draws for A&T. It is very well known and does a lot of work with the USDA. Our programs is probably one of the most well known ag programs out of all those schools.

As far as the metro, they have places already to develop around New Carrollton and Greenbelt. They are really trying to make both of those places into huge mixed use developments like the National Harbor. It also seems a bit silly to try to develop this area like they are planning too because they are going to be doing something similar in Laurel at Konterra. Seems like the two areas are canceling each other out.

Old 01-22-2012, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyxius View Post
There are tracks closely parallel to Route 1 and it enters Laurel along one way streets for each direction with a 35 where it meets 198 which is also one way streets. US 29 is on the other side of I-95.
Are you serious or are you playing the Game of Delusion of Grandeur.....

If you really believe what you wrote then it is safe to say that you do not live in Northern PG County and I would not be surprised if you do not live in Maryland....

The train tracks are Far enough away from US Highway 1 that they can widen the road to 6 lanes...

And Old Town Laurel has nothing to do with Kentorra so I know you are reaching for som BS reason to Hate on PG County to develop exactly the same way Fairfax County is developing.........

Quote:
Approaching Contee Rd, there are businesses on both sides of Route 1. We want to subtract bottlenecks not add.
Another BS comment because US Highway 1 between Hyattsville and Beltsville is built like that intersection of US Highway 1 and Contee Road but seriously have bottleneck traffic.......

There was a plan to build a Boulevard between UMD and Beltsville that will take half the traffic off of US Highway 1 but your kind fought against that.

Quote:
Doesn't excuse the fact that Atlanta traffic is bad despite its 14 lane highways.
But still not as bad as the Maryland Suburbs of the DC area.........

Old 01-22-2012, 03:38 PM

Quote:
So basically that AG course is a non-Factor and just a monkey wrench to throw the subject off base.....

Quote:
That entire Paragraph is a Severe Contradiction. A company is not going to choose any of the Metro Stations to relocate or start new business when they can get it cheaper and can expand in Fairfax County, Alexandria/Arlington, Loudon County, or Prince William County....

As long as they keep the property tax rates sky high, Development Restrictions via Historic Preservation, and the Fact that Most of the PG County metro stations are near Historic Neighborhoods/existing Development there is No Way in Hell PG County will be able to compete with Fairfax County in Business/Economic Growth...

You and al ot of these so-called Transit Mixed-Use talking folx really don't have the best interest in making PG County a Business/Economic Growh friendly county.....

Your whole comment also defines total Contradiction because the way you describe developing near transit stations is like you are saying that MARC is not a Transit system which is a train like metro which MARC has a station for Bowie State plus different Bus Routes granted that they need to increase the frequency which would definitely happen when they Jump Start with the new Development which the people of Bowie state WILL SUPPORT despite what the non-PG County folx(possibly don't live in Maryland either) continue to try to prevent PG County from Developing like Northern Virginia......

Old 01-22-2012, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatkins View Post
I'm an A&T alum. Our agriculture program is one of the major draws for A&T. It is very well known and does a lot of work with the USDA. Our programs is probably one of the most well known ag programs out of all those schools.

As far as the metro, they have places already to develop around New Carrollton and Greenbelt. They are really trying to make both of those places into huge mixed use developments like the National Harbor. It also seems a bit silly to try to develop this area like they are planning too because they are going to be doing something similar in Laurel at Konterra. Seems like the two areas are canceling each other out.
This talk of concentrating on Developing around the PG County metro stops ONLY is a bunch of crap talk sugarcoated into saying that they will not supporrt PG County into developing exactly like Fairfax County and Loudon County. They would rather PG County(and other parts of Maryland) to remain a below class region while Virginia continues to build Office Towers, Expand Enclosed Upscale Shopping Malls, Build/Widen New Highways, and Expand Subway services d--- near 30 miles outside of DC.........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland