U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2012, 12:47 PM

10,136 posts, read 11,130,756 times

Advertisements

I took this from an article that EdwardA posted in another thread.

As homicides fall in D.C., rise in Prince George’s, numbers meet in the middle - The Washington Post

Quote:
The District and Prince Georgeís County had nearly the same number of homicides in 2011, a major departure from a high 20 years ago, when the city saw 325 more slayings than the county.

It is a shift that reflects a double-digit drop (http://crimemap.dc.gov/presentation/report.asp - broken link) in killings in the District from 2010 to 2011, with an especially noticeable downward trend in the most stubborn crime zones east of the Anacostia River. Just across the border, though, the homicide count in the neighboring communities in Prince Georgeís is surging, and the county as a whole saw a slight increase last year.

There were 97 slayings in Prince Georgeís in 2011, four more killings than in 2010. In the District, the year saw 109 homicides, down from 132 in 2010 and the lowest homicide total in the city since 1963.
What do you all think? Is PG suffering because of gentrification in DC or because of other factors?
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2012, 04:27 PM

18,568 posts, read 15,643,610 times
The problems of PG predate the exodus of DC's black poor but it certainly won't help matters.

Old 01-01-2012, 06:32 PM

70 posts, read 170,653 times
The article seems to have deliberately missed the demographics, politically correct but very blurry depiction of the areas.

Old 01-01-2012, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2rock View Post
The article seems to have deliberately missed the demographics, politically correct but very blurry depiction of the areas.
It's there but you have to be able to translate MSM PC speak.

For example here's the DC Police Chief's quote.

Quote:
“We share many of the same issues,” said D.C. Police Chief Cathy L. Lanier. “Quite a few of our victims come from Prince George’s County.”
or this

Quote:
Law enforcement officials said the trend along the Prince George’s border reflects problems that migrated with those who left the District for inside-the-Beltway county neighborhoods, including issues connected with poverty and long-simmering neighborhood disputes.

Old 01-01-2012, 08:31 PM

70 posts, read 170,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
It's there but you have to be able to translate MSM PC speak.

For example here's the DC Police Chief's quote.

or this
That's my point. While it's fun to read between the lines, the whole article managed to do without the word - Black. Not even once.

Old 01-01-2012, 08:38 PM

10,136 posts, read 11,130,756 times
Quote:
That's my point. While it's fun to read between the lines, the whole article managed to do without the word - Black. Not even once.
That's the Washington Post for you. They have completely made a mockery of real journalism.

Old 01-02-2012, 12:19 AM

49 posts, read 132,750 times
Default meatkins,

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatkins View Post
I took this from an article that EdwardA posted in another thread.

As homicides fall in D.C., rise in Prince George’s, numbers meet in the middle - The Washington Post

What do you all think? Is PG suffering because of gentrification in DC or because of other factors?
have not read cited WP piece yet, but in direct answer to your question ... about ten years ago, urban planners in DC complained vociferously about the District's burden of poverty in such a small jurisdictional area to the benefit of Maryland, who was not shouldering "enough" in the minds of interested District stakeholders. I'll have to root around to find some minutes from the appropriate meetings, but I remember this argument well during the period of intensive condo-building and revitalization downtown.

Whether it's DC or MD, inner-ring suburbs and downtown cores are competing for the same market: affluent singles, younger couples and empty nesters seeking a dense urbanized environment.

What happens is that targeted business development and revitalization tends to "squeeze" the struggling and impoverished into smaller and smaller spaces. Witness the decreasing African American population in DC with much of their lower income residents now in Wards 7&8. Or, look at downtown Silver Spring in MD. Once something of a hellhole, you have the spruced-up, revitalized shopping of Downtown SS and nearby condos at the expense of the business district right on the District Line at Georgia Ave -- I'm talking about Fenton etc near the Greyhound etc.

Similarly in PG you have areas like Kettering (Landover) that are "squeezed" between the District and wealthier areas of Prince George's.

As it was a stated goal of urban planners in the District to share the burden (or offload, depending on your perspective) of poverty with nearby Maryland, I wouldn't doubt that the endeavor has been successful in a statistical sense. After all, the boundary is superficial. Whether the numbers stand up to scrutiny, I can't be sure. For example, a declining % of African Americans in DC could, in principle, be due in part to selling properties and moving to the suburbs by middle income AAs. But a net transfer of poverty to nearby MD inner-ring is a sensible hypothesis to start with.

Old 01-02-2012, 05:09 AM

49 posts, read 132,750 times
Default have to add ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanoscale View Post
now in Wards 7&8.
not for nothing that PG is sometimes referred to as "Ward 9."

Old 01-02-2012, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Well that's never going to happen and it is a segment of Blacks causing the problems. As Nano points out there are Black people who are cashing out their homes and are also leaving the District for PG and elsewhere.

Old 01-03-2012, 11:28 AM

322 posts, read 421,614 times
In my opinion, itís not a stretch to reason that PG is or will be adversely affected by the fact that D.C. is undergoing gentrification. Itís also fairly simple to conclude that D.C.ís falling crime rate can be attributed somewhat to those same ongoing gentrification efforts. Letís face it, the ultimate goal of any gentrification effort is (1a.) improve the cityís tax base and (1b.) reduce crime.

Iíve probably been interpreting most of this incorrectly, but lately in the news it seems that D.C.ís leadership core has been ďpatting itself on the backĒ in regards to their recent crime fighting efforts. While Iím sure there is definitely some outstanding police work going on in the city and Iíd never take that lightly, itís a lot easier to reduce crime when you move out an areaís poor and disenfranchised people and replace them with affluence. Not only is it easier but itís actually a brilliant formula that seems to be working well for the District.

I donít blame any city for wanting to improve in this manner so Iím certainly not knocking D.C. for gentrifying certain areas. It just seems a little funny to me that of all the reasons listed for the relatively sharp drop in violent crime, Iíve yet to hear a city leader or anyone with clout mention gentrification. Once again, Iím not saying that gentrification is the sole reason for D.C.ís improved crime statistics but I do feel that it is a significant enough variable for it not to be dismissed.

In reading the article cited by the OP, it touts that one of Chief Lanierís biggest achievements as being the huge reduction in homicides in Ward 7 in comparison to what was going on there in 1993. Iíll be the first to admit that Iím not very knowledgeable concerning D.C.ís urban development planning, so I could be dead wrong about this next point. But, from the looks of things driving through Congress Heights and some of the nearby areas I would guess that parts of Ward 7 are looking at the beginning stages of gentrification. If this is indeed the case, then why wouldnít there be a substantial improvement from the violent crime statistics of 20 yrs. ago? Itís just good business to want to stabilize that area and make it more attractive to any forthcoming revitalization efforts.

In any event, I would imagine that this statistical trend is going stick around for a little while as D.C. continues to gentrify. Unless PG is looking to improve its policing to curtail any projected rise in the crime rate, the county may be in for some big-time headaches in the near future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland