Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 02:07 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,691,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
Just out of curiosity what is the problem with private businesses relocating to PG County......
The problem is more with the state than the county. I do think a lot of it lies with image. PGC has some very affluent areas but people often only think of the poor inner-Beltway communities that are plagued with crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 02:35 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,639,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
The problem is more with the state than the county. I do think a lot of it lies with image. PGC has some very affluent areas but people often only think of the poor inner-Beltway communities that are plagued with crime.
It doesn't help that Prince Georges residents elect people they know nothing about.

Old 03-06-2012, 09:50 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,569,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crofton View Post
Yes, PG's problems are partly because of racism. I mean how are they expected to not shoot each other in the head if they are not given government buildings in their back yard? clearly any community without large government employment support is going to result in murder rates unseen in the rest of the developed world. If they would just build more government buildings in PG like they have in DC, then maybe the county will one day be able to have the low murder rate of DC.
I disagree that the fact that because there are not billions of square feet of government offices that the murder rate is high. let's be real, more than half of these murders are for stupid stuff. I can understand people killing to eat, feed their families or protection. But killing people because a dog pooped in your yard or because some police officer asked you to leave a restaurant. These aren't poor destitute people doing the killing. It's underdeveloped mentally unstable men functioning on the brain of a 12 year old who wasn't raised properly.

There is a degree of poverty that PG has that is different than the rest of the world and it certainly doesn't call for the need to kill anyone.

Some of the reasons I hear why people are getting killed are ridiculous and unnecessary and can only be explained by a lack of mental maturity. Food, clothing, and shelter, that comes from jobs in the area, have nothing to do with it.

Old 03-06-2012, 10:16 AM

1,831 posts, read 4,435,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyxius View Post
It doesn't help that Prince Georges residents elect people they know nothing about.
Well, voters really know little to nothing about most of the people they vote into office anywhere. But I do agree that the distinction here is that if the candidates present a certain image or persona, it seems to be easily believed (and identified with) if nothing else is known.

Old 09-15-2013, 11:52 AM

6 posts, read 6,584 times
The are fairness issues with Prince Georges County. Federal Bulding like the FBI need to move here to balance out fairness in the allocation of the Federal workforce. If Prince Georges had the same number of Federal building as neighboring Montgomery and Fairfax County's, you would see higher incomes and less poverty in Prince Georges. You would then have more money for schools and Police. The fact that Prince Georges has less buildings is due to racism agaist the black community. Other races such as white and asian don't want to live with black people as a majority and that is a fact, the media ignores or is too timid to print. By extension govenerment agencies which employ a similar demographic at the high end, perfer to live in Montgomery and FairFax Counties. And in case you are wondering, I am a Asian American living in Prince Georges. I moved to Prince Georges from Northern VA after living there for 20 years (in a rich neighborhood) and I have seen racism in this county with respect to the allocation of govenment offices. 5% of government offices are in Prince Geores vs 12 % in Montgmery and 25 percent in FairFax. Also To the person who mentioned the "chicken and the egg". Think about this, I'll bet If you striped Montgomery and Fairfax of all their money, crime would go up and the schools would suffer. And the richer your place of residence, the better the schools and crime are. For example. Compare local schools in Fairfax like Langly, Mclain (rich area) to say Herdon, South Lakes (less rich area) etc..... or in Montgmery County with Walt Whitman and Wooton (rich area), to Wheaton high or non-magnet Blair (less rich area).

Old 09-15-2013, 12:35 PM

45,379 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Ya know Blogger1209, Prince George's wasn't always majority Black, it didn't get federal buildings then either.

I'm sure it doesn't have a thing to do with the historically dysfunctional County government where "pay to play" was almost enshrined in the County Code, the historically poor showing of the school system or the historically higher crime rates of the inner suburbs.

Old 09-15-2013, 03:50 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,984,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blogger1209 View Post
The are fairness issues with Prince Georges County. Federal Bulding like the FBI need to move here to balance out fairness in the allocation of the Federal workforce. If Prince Georges had the same number of Federal building as neighboring Montgomery and Fairfax County's, you would see higher incomes and less poverty in Prince Georges. You would then have more money for schools and Police. The fact that Prince Georges has less buildings is due to racism agaist the black community. Other races such as white and asian don't want to live with black people as a majority and that is a fact, the media ignores or is too timid to print. By extension govenerment agencies which employ a similar demographic at the high end, perfer to live in Montgomery and FairFax Counties. And in case you are wondering, I am a Asian American living in Prince Georges. I moved to Prince Georges from Northern VA after living there for 20 years (in a rich neighborhood) and I have seen racism in this county with respect to the allocation of govenment offices. 5% of government offices are in Prince Geores vs 12 % in Montgmery and 25 percent in FairFax. Also To the person who mentioned the "chicken and the egg". Think about this, I'll bet If you striped Montgomery and Fairfax of all their money, crime would go up and the schools would suffer. And the richer your place of residence, the better the schools and crime are. For example. Compare local schools in Fairfax like Langly, Mclain (rich area) to say Herdon, South Lakes (less rich area) etc..... or in Montgmery County with Walt Whitman and Wooton (rich area), to Wheaton high or non-magnet Blair (less rich area).
I'm sorry but this is a very screwed up perspective in my opinion. No county should be entitled to getting jobs. At the end of the day, the government operates as a business and they are going to do what is best for business. If you put jobs in places where people do not want to live, it will become a drain on your workforce. Instead of having a workforce that may walk to work, drive a short distance or something along those lines, people are traveling long distances just to get to work which results in tired people and less production.

Also if you have an office in a places where people are not comfortable working in, then that limits the talent you are able to attract or if you do have those individuals, then they may decide to leave. I can tell you as someone that worked in Suitland, there were numerous times where I had co-workers who were getting robbed in the metro garage trying to walk to work. There was even an incident of someone being sexually assaulted. How many people do you think would be willing to risk their lives to work in an area just to have a 'balance'?

The reality is, it's not the Federal Government's fault for the condition of the county. The county's issues are mostly exclusive of how many jobs are with the Federal Government. Look at Loudoun County for example which is much further away from DC, has a very small amount of Federal agencies out there, yet it is the wealthiest county in the nation, has a lot of educated people living there, and has low crime. The government is not the only place that provides jobs. Places that are private sector avoid places of high crime because it cost them money (spending extra resources on security, being robbed) and because they will have a difficult time attracting top talent people because the areas nearby are not attractive to live in. This is the same thought process the government takes. As I have stated earlier in this thread, PG has to get out of it's own way because the county can claim discrimination.

Old 09-15-2013, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtvatitans View Post
I'm sorry but this is a very screwed up perspective in my opinion. No county should be entitled to getting jobs. At the end of the day, the government operates as a business and they are going to do what is best for business. If you put jobs in places where people do not want to live, it will become a drain on your workforce. Instead of having a workforce that may walk to work, drive a short distance or something along those lines, people are traveling long distances just to get to work which results in tired people and less production.

Also if you have an office in a places where people are not comfortable working in, then that limits the talent you are able to attract or if you do have those individuals, then they may decide to leave. I can tell you as someone that worked in Suitland, there were numerous times where I had co-workers who were getting robbed in the metro garage trying to walk to work. There was even an incident of someone being sexually assaulted. How many people do you think would be willing to risk their lives to work in an area just to have a 'balance'?

The reality is, it's not the Federal Government's fault for the condition of the county. The county's issues are mostly exclusive of how many jobs are with the Federal Government. Look at Loudoun County for example which is much further away from DC, has a very small amount of Federal agencies out there, yet it is the wealthiest county in the nation, has a lot of educated people living there, and has low crime. The government is not the only place that provides jobs. Places that are private sector avoid places of high crime because it cost them money (spending extra resources on security, being robbed) and because they will have a difficult time attracting top talent people because the areas nearby are not attractive to live in. This is the same thought process the government takes. As I have stated earlier in this thread, PG has to get out of it's own way because the county can claim discrimination.
Yes, and with your line of thinking nothing ever gets fixed. Because the rich keep getting richer. 95 percent of the gains made in 2009 to present went to the 1% percenters. With your line of thinking, the goverment bears no repsonsibility for this. Lets see Montgomery and Fairfax have most of the resources. Lets give them more. In fact perhaps we should direct all tax dollars there and leave prince georges with nothing. Also, (being saracsitc) You need some place to put poor people, so why not sequester them in Prince georges. If the goverment moved in to those areas, they would get more revenue and crime would lessen. Your Loudon county example is ridiculous. Loudon county does not count as one of the big 3. It's far away from DC. I mean Manhatton and Silcon Valley are rich and far away from DC with few government jobs. There are fairness issues with respect to Montgomery and Fairfax. Prince Georges happens to be largly black/African American and a close in County.

Labor is at an all time high. Let them leave. They will not find a better job elsewhere.
There will be hundreds of people (well qualified) who would take those jobs.

Goverment is NOT a business. Goverment's role is to do what the private industry won't. For example, it's the goverment's responsibilty to hire veterans coming back from war disabled or not. The private industry bears no responsibilty. This is also true for research and other public functions such as health care, medicare, social securtiy etc.... Prince Georges county is a prime example of segregation and the fact the GSA and their vegas weilding ways have not fairly allocated resources to the three counties is atroicias and racist. As far as transporation. There are 15 under-developed metro stations in Prince Georges.

Last edited by blogger1209; 09-15-2013 at 07:44 PM..

Old 09-15-2013, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Ya know Blogger1209, Prince George's wasn't always majority Black, it didn't get federal buildings then either.

I'm sure it doesn't have a thing to do with the historically dysfunctional County government where "pay to play" was almost enshrined in the County Code, the historically poor showing of the school system or the historically higher crime rates of the inner suburbs.

It does not. The school system, crime and other factors dragging down Prince Georges would improve with more money and better jobs. Actually it did. NASA, FDA, USDA are all there. They were also charted 60 years ago. All the other counties got new agencies and new leases. Prince Georges did not, simply because white people did not want to live and work in black communities. So with less resources, the schools got worse and crime increased with fewer police.

Old 09-15-2013, 08:33 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,984,588 times
Quote:
Yes, and with your line of thinking nothing ever gets fixed. Because the rich keep getting richer. 95 percent of the gains made in 2009 to present went to the 1% percenters your line of thinking, the goverment bears no repsonsibility for this. Lets see Montgomery and Fairfax have most of the resources. Lets give them more. In fact perhaps we should direct all tax dollars there and leave prince georges with nothing. Also, (being saracsitc) You need some place to put poor people, so why not sequester them in Prince georges. If the goverment moved in to those areas, they would get more revenue and crime would lessen. Your Loudon county example is ridiculous. Loudon county does not count as one of the big 3. It's far away from DC. I mean Manhatton and Silcon Valley are rich and far away from DC with few government jobs. There are fairness issues with respect to Montgomery and Fairfax. Prince Georges happens to be largly black/African American and a close in County.
The point of bringing up Loudoun County is you can still have a prosperous economy without government jobs. You completely changed my point.

I also never said PG shouldn't get the FBI. If you look at my previous comments you would see my support for the Greenbelt site(as long as the Springfield site has those security issues). I am simply illustrating why your line of thinking doesn't match the government's.

Quote:
Labor is at an all time high. Let them leave. They will not find a better job elsewhere.
There will be hundreds of people (well qualified) who would take those jobs.
You mean unemployment is at an all time high? Even with that said, that still doesn't mean you just move to a place just because. You are saying that PG should get this because it is "fair"? I am sorry is there something wrong with Montgomery or Fairfax County? What have they done wrong? Do you have anything of substance to argue your point? Again I don't disagree with PG getting the FBI, I just believe your line of thinking is like a 500 pound woman wondering why she can't win a swim suit contest.

Quote:
Goverment is NOT a business. Goverment's role is to do what the private industry won't. For example, it's the goverment's responsibilty to hire veterans coming back from war disabled or not. The private industry bears no responsibilty. This is also true for research and other public functions such as health care, medicare, social securtiy etc.... Prince Georges county is a prime example of segregation and the fact the GSA and their vegas weilding ways have not fairly allocated resources to the three counties is atroicias and racist. As far as transporation. There are 15 under-developed metro stations in Prince Georges.
Does the government have a budget? Do they have to find a way to make profit or at least not overspend? These are characteristics of a business as well as the government. What you are doing is describing what the government does but you neglect how the government operates. Contrary to what people believe, the government has limited resources just like a business and it has to be managed like one as a result.

NBP just iterated the point that 25-30 years ago the county was mostly white and without jobs. You are either ignoring this point or simply do not believe it. Some people just like feeling victimized though because it gives them an opportunity to blame other people and never address their problems. Food for thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland