Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 01:42 PM

4 posts, read 8,387 times

Advertisements

Hello all! I'm hoping some of you lovely folks can give me some advice about my pending move to the DC area.
Background info: boyfriend lives/working Columbia at the moment, I graduated in May from a university in Chicago. We've been doing the long distance thing for too long and are ready to move in together. Trying to come to a reasonable compromise on a location.
Having lived in the city for 4 years, I don't have a car and don't want to buy one with all of my other debt in the form of student loans. I do have a bike and I'm comfortable riding it reasonable (under 20 or so minutes) distances to get to public transportation if it's safe to do so. I would like to live in DC proper and we have been considering Columbia Heights/Petworth, but I'm starting to have doubts about finding something meets our criteria (dishwasher, laundry on site, off street parking, under $1600, dog friendly a plus).
Additionally, I'm planning on taking classes at PGCC starting in August to obtain my CPA and their in county tuition is $90/credit hour, instate is about $150, and out of state is about $250.
All of which is leading me to (grudgingly) consider the suburbs. Basically, I would be willing to settle for a suburb if it was reasonably walkable, had a coffee shop that's not a Starbucks, some cute boutique-y stores, and some lunch spots other than Panera. Something with a little more of a downtown instead of just strip malls. Do any of you have suggestions for places in Prince George (1st preference) or Montgomery (2nd choice) that might fit these characteristics?

And yes, I'm aware that PG has a reputation for being dangerous. I'm not concerned. Please don't try to warn me off, I lived in a rough neighborhood in Chicago, it's not a high priority for me right now.

Thanks all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2012, 02:31 PM

219 posts, read 595,077 times
Hyattsville would probably be the best option for you in Prince George's county, especially around the Arts District area. There are two metro stops in Hyattsville, pretty close to DC, and one of the most diverse areas in the county. Without a car you probably would want something inside the beltway near a metro and most of the other communities in PG that are inside the beltway are rough areas.

I would also look into Largo or Cheverly, but they don't really offer a vibrant downtown.

Silver Spring, MD in Montgomery would be a great option for you if you can find a place in your price range

Old 01-20-2012, 06:51 AM

Thanks, Hyattsville was sort of what I was leaning towards as well. It also helps that I work at a chain restaurant here that has a store in Hyattsville so I am planning to transfer there and work there until I get a better job. Anyone else have any ideas/opinions?

Old 01-20-2012, 10:37 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,076,154 times
Unless you can share your boyfriend's car, you will find it difficult to reach PG Comm College from almost anywhere by public transport. There is limited bus service between PGCC and New Carrollton Metrorail Station. See Metro - Home page and there is also "The Bus" - a system provided by the PG County government (google "The Bus MD" to bring up their website showing bus routes #21 and #29 which go to the college). Good luck. You can also get advice on bicycling in the region and routes to follow, from this organization: WABA .

Old 01-20-2012, 12:27 PM

Thanks, I hadn't gotten as far as figuring out that bit; they're just the only school other than UMD that has the CPA courses. A lot of them are online though, so I think I'll be able to make it work. I appreciate the heads up, and the cycling link!

Old 01-20-2012, 02:30 PM

70 posts, read 198,553 times
It's OK to move in PG.

I guess a lot of people who have decided to move in PG need to hear that.

Old 01-29-2012, 07:06 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,986,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
Unless you can share your boyfriend's car, you will find it difficult to reach PG Comm College from almost anywhere by public transport. There is limited bus service between PGCC and New Carrollton Metrorail Station. See Metro - Home page and there is also "The Bus" - a system provided by the PG County government (google "The Bus MD" to bring up their website showing bus routes #21 and #29 which go to the college). Good luck. You can also get advice on bicycling in the region and routes to follow, from this organization: WABA .
Not exactly true. You actually can catch a Metro bus from Addison Road to take to PGCC. You can also as you mention take The Bus. There are definitely options to get to the school.

Oh and I would not recommend bicycling in that particular area. People are horrible drivers. Not to scare you but that part of PG is not pedestrian or bicycling friendly.

Old 01-29-2012, 08:06 AM

15 posts, read 35,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meg678 View Post
Hello all! I'm hoping some of you lovely folks can give me some advice about my pending move to the DC area.
Background info: boyfriend lives/working Columbia at the moment, I graduated in May from a university in Chicago. We've been doing the long distance thing for too long and are ready to move in together. Trying to come to a reasonable compromise on a location.
Having lived in the city for 4 years, I don't have a car and don't want to buy one with all of my other debt in the form of student loans. I do have a bike and I'm comfortable riding it reasonable (under 20 or so minutes) distances to get to public transportation if it's safe to do so. I would like to live in DC proper and we have been considering Columbia Heights/Petworth, but I'm starting to have doubts about finding something meets our criteria (dishwasher, laundry on site, off street parking, under $1600, dog friendly a plus).
Additionally, I'm planning on taking classes at PGCC starting in August to obtain my CPA and their in county tuition is $90/credit hour, instate is about $150, and out of state is about $250.
All of which is leading me to (grudgingly) consider the suburbs. Basically, I would be willing to settle for a suburb if it was reasonably walkable, had a coffee shop that's not a Starbucks, some cute boutique-y stores, and some lunch spots other than Panera. Something with a little more of a downtown instead of just strip malls. Do any of you have suggestions for places in Prince George (1st preference) or Montgomery (2nd choice) that might fit these characteristics?

And yes, I'm aware that PG has a reputation for being dangerous. I'm not concerned. Please don't try to warn me off, I lived in a rough neighborhood in Chicago, it's not a high priority for me right now.

Thanks all!
PG isn't as bad as most say, it's certainly safer than many places in DC proper, 90% of the crime victims are usually on folks who live a criminal lifestyle. I was given the same warning when I first moved here and to be honest I've found that its mostly only white folks who trump up the "dangers" of PG county. I don't really mind as the the rumours and heresay only helps our housing cost be 20-30% less in a metro with ridiculous housing cost.

I currently live in Hyattsville. if you go that route I suggest Mosaic at Hyattsville or Apartments in the Arts District..1600 a mo, will probably get you something better in DT Silver Spring.

Old 01-29-2012, 05:16 PM

304 posts, read 713,879 times
I currently live in Hyattsville, and based on most of your stipulations, Hyattsville would seem like your best bet.

The problem is, your need to commute easily to PGCC. If you must go to classes at the Largo campus, it will be a b***h getting there by public transportation. now, you are aware there's a PGCC satellite campus in Hyattsville across the street from the Mall at Prince Georges. See if your course is offered there. If it is, Hyattsville is you're best bet, but not all areas around hyattsville. "The Mosaic," located behind prince Georges plaza metro, is heavenly. Theres also a new condo development on the other side of the mall across the street from Home Depot. I forget the name. And then there's the Hyattsville Arts District which runs along RT. 1/Baltimore Ave. Brand new townhouse syled developments are all over. There's a new shopping center with a Chipotle, Elevation Burger, and Buss Boys & Poets.

So, good luck on your search.

Old 01-30-2012, 02:24 PM

94 posts, read 193,253 times
Mosaic at Metro is a great place...but expensive
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland