U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 10:56 AM

50 posts, read 68,086 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I got two part time jobs in Hyattsville (Riggs road, 20783) and Silver Spring (20910) for an afternoon to night shift. Probably won't get out before midnight.

Please can you guys recommend apartments for me? I don't drive so I need to be close to buses and the metro.

My friend said there are lots of apartments in the area and also New Hampshire avenue.

I am a single mom, with a kindergartner and another young child that attends daycare.

I live in the Baltimore area currently. I am trying to keep my rent as low as possible, under $1500.

Thank you for your assistance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2012, 11:33 AM

10,890 posts, read 16,398,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyfulheart View Post
Hi,

I got two part time jobs in Hyattsville (Riggs road, 20783) and Silver Spring (20910) for an afternoon to night shift. Probably won't get out before midnight.

Please can you guys recommend apartments for me? I don't drive so I need to be close to buses and the metro.
As I had trouble with getting a C2 bus after 7PM, I suggest checking the bus schedules first to see if it even feasible to go home by bus after midnight. You might have to take a taxi.

I think the area around Riggs Road might be scary after midnight. (Watch out for people hanging around the liquor stores.) It depends on where you are in 20910. Again you might have to take a taxi.

The apartments around the Metro stations are going to be prohibitively expensive, and probably would not help your commute. There are small cheap apartment complexes in Hyattsville, but they don't look especially safe. I would look for a high-rise on New Hampshire Avenue, and check after dark to see if you feel comfortable.

Old 02-11-2012, 11:43 AM

Thanks. My friend and I were talking about the cab issue. That may be the safest option after work. I would like to live in a place where the cab fare will probably not cost more than $15.

Any suggestions for the High Rises? The second job is off Capitol View Road, 20910.

Thanks

Old 02-11-2012, 12:32 PM

10,890 posts, read 16,398,530 times
Quote:
Any suggestions for the High Rises? The second job is off Capitol View Road, 20910.
Thanks
I don't personally know any apartments, but near Capitol View Ave is by far the safer location. Check for anything along Georgia and Connecticut Avenue. With your budget of $1500, it may be hard, but go for the safest looking place you can afford.

The Montgomery White Oak might work, on Stewart Lane, off Columbia Pike, near New Hampshire.

Last edited by goldenage1; 02-11-2012 at 01:37 PM..

Old 02-11-2012, 03:04 PM

342 posts, read 724,461 times
Quote:
Hi,

My friend said there are lots of apartments in the area and also New Hampshire avenue.

I am a single mom, with a kindergartner and another young child that attends daycare.

I live in the Baltimore area currently. I am trying to keep my rent as low as possible, under $1500.

Thank you for your assistance.
If I were you I would spend that 1500 and just live in a nicer part of Baltimore near union station and catch the train, I wouldn't move for two or even three part time jobs! Also there aren't really a lot of apartments I would consider safe and affordble in PG County.

Last edited by bmorefella; 02-11-2012 at 03:15 PM..

Old 02-11-2012, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmorefella View Post
If I were you I would spend that 1500 and just live in a nicer part of Baltimore near union station and catch the train, I wouldn't move for two or even three part time jobs!

Thanks. There is no Union Station in Baltimore. The main problem is that the last train from DC (Union Station) to Baltimore leaves at 10.30 pm so I will be stranded. Can't return home.

I thought of that initially but it is not doable. I don't finish work until 11pm and with my job I may not clock out before midnight.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Old 02-11-2012, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Thanks. There is no Union Station in Baltimore. The main problem is that the last train from DC (Union Station) to Baltimore leaves at 10.30 pm so I will be stranded. Can't return home.

I thought of that initially but it is not doable. I don't finish work until 11pm and with my job I may not clock out before midnight.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Sorry Penn Station yes Union is in D.C., I understand, but honestly I would not suggest you moving to any apartments in that area, look into southern Anne Arundel county near Bowie, Crofton Area. Good Luck!

Old 02-11-2012, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Sorry Penn Station yes Union is in D.C., I understand, but honestly I would not suggest you moving to any apartments in that area, look into southern Anne Arundel county near Bowie, Crofton Area. Good Luck!
This is why I like this forum you get lts of useful suggestions.

bmorefella, I don't drive. Do you know any area in southern Anne Arundel,Bowie etc that is served by the metro?

Thank you.

Old 02-11-2012, 03:59 PM

Quote:
This is why I like this forum you get lts of useful suggestions.

bmorefella, I don't drive. Do you know any area in southern Anne Arundel,Bowie etc that is served by the metro?

Thank you.
Well Anne Arundel county is Baltimore Metro territory, but once you leave Crofton and get into PG County Bowie area that's all Washington Metro. There is a Marc Train station at Bowie State University, that Marc station also gets Metro bus service, Bus C29 should take you to Addison Rd Metro Station, from there you can take the blue line to L'Enfant Plaza Metro Station. From L'Enfant I believe you would go Green Line to West Hyattsville Metro Station, not sure how far you need to go from there but that should definitely get you close enough for a $15 cab ride or maybe a lot less, I wish you the best of luck!!

Old 02-11-2012, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Well Anne Arundel county is Baltimore Metro territory, but once you leave Crofton and get into PG County Bowie area that's all Washington Metro. There is a Marc Train station at Bowie State University, that Marc station also gets Metro bus service, Bus C29 should take you to Addison Rd Metro Station, from there you can take the blue line to L'Enfant Plaza Metro Station. From L'Enfant I believe you would go Green Line to West Hyattsville Metro Station, not sure how far you need to go from there but that should definitely get you close enough for a $15 cab ride or maybe a lot less, I wish you the best of luck!!

Thanks will check it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland