Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 08:50 AM

1,176 posts, read 3,180,022 times

Advertisements

Any experiences, good or bad, with LW? We looked at some of the condos (apartments) there, for a possible second home, eventual retirement home. Have heard a wide range of views from "It's a wonderful place with friendly people and lots to do" to "Depressing, with old and complaining people, and property values that never go up because when the owners die, the survivors unload the unit at whatever price they can get." We had lived in the area and didn't realize how big it is. It would be less than a half-time residence for at least a few years. I'm 61, almost 62, my wife 52. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 09:50 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,882,088 times
My dads former co-worker live there and sometimes we would visit them. AFAIK, they really like it over their King Farm TH in Rockville. It's walkable to the Giant on GA ave they have a golf course and a range (which we did) and it wasn't bad. It's a little boring but of course many people there prefer a nice, quiet and tranquil area.

Old 02-21-2012, 12:04 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samoi137 View Post
Any experiences, good or bad, with LW?
I have been in the high-rise condos with golf course views. They are attractive and well-kept. My friends lead active and interesting lives, and they appreciate the safety of the community. However, I have heard that some older folks never go anywhere.

I have also been in some of the low-cost low-rise units, and I admit they are depressing. Overall I would be a bit concerned about the resale values and whether the unit is attractive to a younger generation, but no-one can predict the future.

Old 09-08-2012, 08:18 PM

377 posts, read 575,745 times
Default Why Don't Y'all Examine the Website

Welcome to Leisure World !!

They are a 55plus community. I'm 83YO and I feel like I'm more modern than the 55YO kids. My kids are Baby boomers. We need really computer type people here. Even the 55plus don't like computers. What's this world coming to? I love my condo. There are all types of architecture here. The landscape is exceptional. I would prefer people living here for the rest of their lives than just as a real estate investment. We don't need renters. We need really hep political folks who are great USA citizens. This is the first time I've lived with people my age but the people my kids age aren't that hep.

They have age discrimination here. The baby boomers have their own organization and they think they know more than old folks. If you like golf then there would be no problem. I like golf but I can't play for physical reasons. Glad they have a golf course because that does help the community. Two swimming pools, one indoors open year round and one outdoors. Tons of clubs, if you like that sort of thing. Group trips which I take (one day trips) and I prefer my own privacy and it happens here.

Main thing is to find the architecture you want to live in and you are then your own boss. Very few rules. The rules that exist are reasonable. Great location in the expanding Silver Spring/Aspin Hill/Olney area. 3 great roads: 97/28/200. I knew exactly what I wanted and to my amazement it exists. Others like where they are. One size doesn't fit all. I find it easy to access from Greenbelt to Gaithersburg. I avoid all highways and like the scenic routes in my old age.

The only thing missing in my life here is not having email pals to talk to. I don't need to go to meetings any more. I know too much at my age I learn faster from Internet than in real meetings. I wouldn't be here if Leisure World of Maryland was a model like the City Data Forums. Home prices are really good right now all over the USA. Remember since 2007 we're a foreclosure nation. Take advantage of it.

Almost forgot my SO, mini-poodle, Baruch (Spinoza) likes it here too. They don't have any formal organizations for Companion Animal Owners. Any one can start an organization if they get a network up to do that.

Old 10-06-2012, 03:02 PM

Just visited the brand new Kohl's here at Aspen Hill. I've lived here 2 years and passed by lots of times but with the new store here decided to treat myself. I didn't expect much but it was fun. In fact, they are upgrading the whole Shopping Center. Michael's right there. Very convenient. This area is getting great for consumers of the middle middle class. All the way to Olney. I don't understand it because the USA is supposed to be on the downsize as far as consumption is concerned. It's so positive.

Old 10-06-2012, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnietspingal View Post
Just visited the brand new Kohl's here at Aspen Hill.
Where is the Kohl's? It's a good addition to Aspen Hill. I used to go over to Cherry Hill Road for Kohl's, especially after Hecht's went out of business.

Old 10-07-2012, 12:14 AM

Default Georgia Ave and Aspen Hill

Gazette.Net: Kohl’s opens in Aspen Hill

Old 10-09-2012, 11:03 AM

265 posts, read 1,063,309 times
I’m a person in my 50s who has been renting in Leisure World for some months. The pros IMHO are that the grounds are very nice and it’s not that bad a commute to my job, given commutes in the DC area. Its recreational facilities (nice, though some are getting dated) are convenient. It’s relatively low-crime. Most people you run into seem pleasant, though I have encountered a few unfriendly, snobby, and/or complaining exceptions.
I think the LW community is in sort of a transition as younger people who are working are moving in. There are over 100 clubs and classes at LW--if retired you have many options--most meet only weekdays during the day. Going to DC by public transit isn't difficult but takes awhile.
The cons, again IMHO: I commute on Ct. Ave. and am a seasoned city driver. But going through Aspen Hill southbound with the Georgia Ave. merge, lane changes, and high speeds every day is scary to me. I have seen lots of accidents between there and Randolph Rd. If my 82 y.o. mother were to move in there I would advise her ONLY to drive to the Giant Plaza and to Olney.
Have to be honest, some of the LW staff don’t seem that pleasant in terms of customer service (what is the message if any they are getting from the top down?) but most are okay. I do not appreciate the semi-live-ins that some grandparents on my block provide to the grandchildren and great-grandchildren (I don’t want to live in a daycare, and there are supposedly limits) and yapping dogs (there are LOTS of dogs in LW). I say that as an animal lover. But I hear the LW HOAs are strong and effective.
The new Kohl’s may start the whole neighborhood on an upswing. I too enjoyed my visit to spend the coupon they generously sent, and the only downer was the many families of 3+ generations coming in en masse (God forbid ONE of them should stay home and look after the children) that were screaming across the entire floor at each other and allowing their kids to run wild. This is a common shopping issue unfortunately.
All in all, with a busy working and commuting lifestyle, I like the relative quiet at LW, although it may be a little too isolated and quiet for some. It depends on what you are looking for.

Old 10-11-2012, 04:07 PM

969 posts, read 2,851,220 times
My 80 something Mom lives in Leisure World. So does my 80 something Aunt. Both live in high rises. My mother (although with limited mobility) goes downstairs and plays card games - mah jon - attends building dinners & functions - goes on day trips - has the Giant PeaPod service deliver groceries. She is VERY involved with her friends and enjoys living somewhere where she doesn't have to leave the building to have a social life. My Aunt is not as interested in the community activities but still appreciates the location and proximity to shopping and walking areas.
One thing the highrises NEED is to offer Wi-Fi in their community rooms.. My mother is not a computer person so I have to find a wi-fi place outside her building to connect.
Everytime I go visit - people wave and say hello if they are sitting in the lobby - very friendly as far as I can tell.
Each building hhas its own "personality" so be sure and visit at different times of the day and see what the "tone" of the location you find may be.

Old 08-05-2016, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasonville View Post
...One thing the highrises NEED is to offer Wi-Fi in their community rooms..
I am reviving this thread to ask about condo fees in the high-rises. They are around $600/month for a 2-bedrom place. I believe that includes basic cable service.

Does it cover any of the utilities: electricity, water or sewer? I understand the fees have to cover services like maintenance, the pools, security, bus service, etc. However it seems very high. Do residents feel the fees are worth the money?

I have a few other questions if anyone can answer.

1. Can one safely operate a charcoal grill on the balcony? Is it allowed? If, not, are there areas where one can grill a steak.

2. If I bought, I would like to renovate that terrible 80's kitchen. Is it possible to remove a wall to have a more open kitchen?

3. Are there extra costs to use the indoor pool or gym?

4. Does one have to be a social member of the golf club to use the restaurants?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland