Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 05:31 PM

44,893 posts, read 59,882,454 times

Advertisements

Hmmm. The only part of Crofton I'm really familiar with is the planned community part. The Crofton zip code is pretty big, though.

The 3 or 4 people I know in Gambrills like living there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 06:16 PM

10 posts, read 17,461 times
So for those who are familiar w/ Bowie, is this site pretty accurate in terms of good vs bad areas?

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 02-29-2012 at 06:56 AM..

Old 03-26-2012, 02:47 PM

2 posts, read 4,669 times
Default Crofton is nice

I lived in Bowie in the "S" section for 5 years and currently live in Crofton in Crofton Chase. As a previous post stated, your car insurance will certainly be less in AA County. I only had a couple of problems in Bowie - hose and lawn sprinkler stolen and Christmas decorations vandalized - which was probably just some dopey teenagers. I haven't had any problems in Crofton other than some teenagers racing up and down the street and being loud. The homes on Crofton Parkway don't have basements, but all of the homes in our community do, as do most of the newer homes. Crofton has grown a lot in the past 10 years and is continuing to grow with the addition of the Waugh Chapel South shopping center - a Wegman's, a movie theatre, Dick's, Target, Bed Bath and Beyond and other retail and restaurants. The traffic has become cumbersome, but it's like all the way from Bowie to Millersville. I'm only 10 minutes from Annapolis and less than a half hour from Baltimore and DC. I also like Gambrills, but to head south on a Friday night is a nightmare. My home doubled in value since 2000 and has only lost about 20% off that total, which is pretty good considering a lot of folks are upside down. Good luck. Are there better places? Sure, but I'm not complaining!

Old 03-26-2012, 02:50 PM

2 posts, read 4,669 times
Default Crofton is nice

Sorry, I meant to answer your question about Bowie. There is a little more crime around the mall area, but not any worse than in Annapolis. Just use common sense and be aware of your surroundings and you'll be fine. I'm in Bowie frequently and have never felt the least bit threatened.

Old 04-08-2012, 01:33 PM

673 posts, read 1,177,179 times
Crofton is a planned community in the more western region of anne arundel county. It is a family oriented development with a 4 mile long parkway that revolves around the community. All four elementary schools are locates inside the development. Crofton consist of townhomes apartment and single family homes. However there are different models for example the 2 story townhomes do not have basements that are cookie cutter. But the three story townhomes do have basements. Crofton has great access to 450 route 3 and more. More development has revoked for a new towne center that is supposed to have a movie theatre target and more housing. The school districting in crofton is a little weird. All four elementary schools in crofton feed into crofton middle school. however due to an increase in population in the area , depending on your elementary school after 8th grade some students go to south river high school located in edgewater and some go to arundel high school located in odenton.
As far as Gambrills it is directly north of crofton more towards bowie. It is the last large neighborhood on route 3 bwfore you get to bowie. Gambrills is not planned communtity but is a fast growing neighborhood with newer townhomes and neighborhoods. it also has a towne center and shoping centers. it is diverse.

Crofton has got alot of attention from a teenage boy that was killed. He was fighting with local boys from school and was beat unconcious. He then got back on his bike and fell and died. The neighborhood this happened in is crofton meadows but know this can happen anywhere. As far as crime crofton has very little crime. Crime happens in every large neighborhood. Youl be just find and crodton meadows is a great place to live.

good luck

Old 04-08-2012, 01:40 PM

673 posts, read 1,177,179 times
Also bowie is over rated concerning crime. Think of bowie as pg countys version of crofton. Very nice neighborhood and is mixed use. Note that pg county is the wealthiest african american county in the nation. Because pg county has a large black population does not mean it is crime ridden. Some of the best nwighnorhoods in maryland are in pg county. Bowie has many new neighborhoods, towme home developments and single family. Six flags amusement park is located here. Many parks and recreation arelocated in bowie and stores. Bowie is the largest city in prince georges county and is majority white. Not that it matters. The high school in bowie is bowie high dchool

Old 04-08-2012, 02:24 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,917,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoreboy25 View Post
Also bowie is over rated concerning crime. Think of bowie as pg countys version of crofton. Very nice neighborhood and is mixed use. Note that pg county is the wealthiest african american county in the nation. Because pg county has a large black population does not mean it is crime ridden. Some of the best nwighnorhoods in maryland are in pg county. Bowie has many new neighborhoods, towme home developments and single family. Six flags amusement park is located here. Many parks and recreation arelocated in bowie and stores. Bowie is the largest city in prince georges county and is majority white. Not that it matters. The high school in bowie is bowie high dchool
Not anymore. That has changed from the last census.

Bowie, Maryland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
As of the 2010 Census Bowie had a population of 54,727. 99.5% of the population lived in households with a total of 19,950 households. The racial and ethnic composition of the population was 38.9% non-Hispanic white, 47.9% non-Hispanic black, 0.3% Native American, 4.1% Asian, 0.1% Pacific Islander, 1.9% from some other race and 3.6% from two or more races. 5.6% of the population was Hispanic or Latino of any race.

Old 12-01-2021, 10:26 AM

59 posts, read 43,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croftonrez View Post
I lived in Bowie in the "S" section for 5 years and currently live in Crofton in Crofton Chase. As a previous post stated, your car insurance will certainly be less in AA County. I only had a couple of problems in Bowie - hose and lawn sprinkler stolen and Christmas decorations vandalized - which was probably just some dopey teenagers. I haven't had any problems in Crofton other than some teenagers racing up and down the street and being loud. The homes on Crofton Parkway don't have basements, but all of the homes in our community do, as do most of the newer homes. Crofton has grown a lot in the past 10 years and is continuing to grow with the addition of the Waugh Chapel South shopping center - a Wegman's, a movie theatre, Dick's, Target, Bed Bath and Beyond and other retail and restaurants. The traffic has become cumbersome, but it's like all the way from Bowie to Millersville. I'm only 10 minutes from Annapolis and less than a half hour from Baltimore and DC. I also like Gambrills, but to head south on a Friday night is a nightmare. My home doubled in value since 2000 and has only lost about 20% off that total, which is pretty good considering a lot of folks are upside down. Good luck. Are there better places? Sure, but I'm not complaining!
Yes I agree. I live at Route 3 and Reidel and it’s very convenient. The schools are decent as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland