Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 08:37 AM

14 posts, read 30,183 times

Advertisements

My fiance and I are considering buying a home in Breechtree in Upper Marlboro. It's one of the biggest neighborhoods in PG with a golf course, future elementary school and much more.

Does anyone live in this neighborhood? Any suggestions? Pro & Cons?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 08:58 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,973,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lishaboo View Post
My fiance and I are considering buying a home in Breechtree in Upper Marlboro. It's one of the biggest neighborhoods in PG with a golf course, future elementary school and much more.

Does anyone live in this neighborhood? Any suggestions? Pro & Cons?

Thanks
Question, did the school board provide that information or did the community provide that? They said the same thing about Fairwood to sell homes and it was not true.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatkins View Post
Question, did the school board provide that information or did the community provide that? They said the same thing about Fairwood to sell homes and it was not true.
Yeah it was the community, but they also said that it may not happen. I visited Fairwood as well and they told me that it was planned but decided not to more forward with building one.

I do know that they have been approved for a shopping center on the corner of 301 and Leeland so I'm pleased about that.

Old 02-29-2012, 11:23 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,973,798 times
Quote:
Yeah it was the community, but they also said that it may not happen. I visited Fairwood as well and they told me that it was planned but decided not to more forward with building one.

I do know that they have been approved for a shopping center on the corner of 301 and Leeland so I'm pleased about that.
I would be a little careful. These community lie about things like this. The plan in Fairwood was only driven by the fact that the community marketed having an elementary school coming and so as a result when it didn't come right away, parents demanded for them to come, but there wasn't any serious plans to ever build one.

Prince George's officials shelve plan for new Fairwood Elementary
Quote:
Hite originally proposed that the county close either Tulip Grove Elementary in Bowie or Glenn Dale Elementary to create demand for a proposed new school in nearby Fairwood, but backed off the plan Wednesday after determining there was not sufficient need for the new facility, said schools spokeswoman Tanzi West Barbour.

"He's rescinding the two options," West Barbour said, adding officials have no current plans to discuss other options for a proposed Fairwood Elementary. "It's just off the table for right now."

County officials canceled a meeting scheduled for Wednesday night in Bowie to discuss the possible closures. West Barbour said officials began planning the new school about two years ago, at the encouragement of Fairwood residents, in hopes that it would help alleviate expected overcrowding at area schools including Tulip Grove and Glenn Dale.
If I were you and you were considering Beechtree, especially for having the elementary school, I would check out the school system's website and see how realistic it is for actually getting a school. A lot of times, realtors use that as a selling point to get people to move in, but they ultimately have no say on whether a school would be built there or not. It's up to the buyer to be informed. Good luck with your decision.

Old 02-29-2012, 11:47 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,403,987 times
I would follow Meatkin's advice if you are only moving there for the school or the school is a big part of why you would be moving there. PG's finances are in disarray. I vaguely heard something about restoring the school construction fund on the radio but it may have been Baltimore.

Old 03-05-2012, 04:00 PM

No, I'm not just moving there for a school. I don't have any children and by the time I have school age children I may or may not be in same neighborhood. I was just asking about the overall community.

Old 06-25-2012, 06:53 AM

1 posts, read 2,430 times
My husband and I are also considering moving to Beechtree. We have visited there the last three weekends and really like the community. From what I can see and the research I have done, its a great place to live. Prices appear to have bottomed out so now appears to be a good time.

Old 06-26-2012, 06:36 AM

We purchased in Beechtree and we are waiting to get a permit so that we can start building. We love the neighborhood and we already met our neighbors and very excited about moving in.

Old 07-05-2012, 01:07 PM

4 posts, read 6,966 times
Quote:
We purchased in Beechtree and we are waiting to get a permit so that we can start building. We love the neighborhood and we already met our neighbors and very excited about moving in.
Congratulations. May I ask what builder you selected? We are looking at Richmond American and Mid-Atlantic. They couldn't be much further different in value and price point.

Old 07-06-2012, 09:29 AM

512 posts, read 1,634,970 times
Beechtree is a very nice community. I remember my wife and I visited Beechtree. It was a Mid-Atlantic home. Needless to say my wife fell in love with the house. I really like it to. The problem for us was the price. I guess there is a reason you pay a lot for golf and some gates with a fancy sign. All of this of course was about 2 years ago. I think prices are a bit more reasonable now.

With Fairwood and Beechtree both were planned and constructed before the great recession of 2008. So while I'm sure at some point schools were apart of the master planned communities, P.G. like many jurisdictions across America, had to make cuts. Unfortunately plans for schools in these communities had to be shelved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland