U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 03-07-2012, 05:05 PM
 
5 posts, read 9,729 times
Reputation: 14
Default Safe but cheaper neighborhoods near College Park

I found out yesterday that I'm being offered a promotion that involves a transfer to the College Park area (I'm currently in Missouri). Unsurprisingly, housing costs are the sticking issue. I need to stay under $1100 a month, and closer to $1000 would be ideal, for a 1 bedroom apartment.

So far it seems like almost everything I've found is in an area I hear bad things about regarding crime (e.g., Suitland, Landover, Hyattsville). Can anyone suggest some areas relatively near College Park that would be better safety-wise?

I've lived in urban/working-class neighborhoods in Philadelphia, Phoenix, and St. Louis for the last 7 years, so I'm not a delicate flower, but I do want to minimize my risks since I'm a woman living alone. I have no children nor any plans for them anytime soon, so school districts don't matter to me.

Thanks in advance!
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-07-2012, 05:24 PM
 
Location: Gaithersburg, MD
21 posts, read 34,107 times
Reputation: 13
Unless you're willing to split a 2BR apartment with someone, or rent a room out of a house.... your budget is way, way too low. College students pay more for their apartments...

And if your budget is that tight, moving significantly far away from College Park will result in spending hundreds of dollars a month in gas for your car, not to mention the hours of time spent in your car, so closer is better.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2012, 12:13 PM
 
580 posts, read 429,445 times
Reputation: 364
Communities that are close to College Park and are relatively safe include Greenbelt, Berwyn Heights, Beltsville, and Calverton.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2012, 06:45 PM
 
5 posts, read 9,729 times
Reputation: 14
Thanks, Fundman.

Jcrawf, I'm aware my budget is low, but unfortunately I'm going to be making less than $40k a year, so it's what I have to deal with. The joys of being a member of the working poor...


Does anyone have any info about Laurel as a possible location? I've found a few places in my budget in the 20708 zip code that are about 8-10 miles from where I'll work.

Thanks!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2012, 04:27 AM
 
Location: Greenbelt, MD
5,647 posts, read 2,017,700 times
Reputation: 20523
Check Craigslist for a basement apartment, or an entire floor of a house.

I grew up in the Hollywood area of College Park and I still drive by there once in a while for the heck of it. It's still a good neighborhood and you would be within walking distance to the Metro system.

Many areas in Laurel, especially the lower rent areas, are not good neighborhoods. Be careful. And do stay away from Suitland, Landover, and most of Hyattsville.
Takoma Park is worth looking into but there are bad areas there as well.

An apartment in a good area around College Park costing less than 1K a month may be impossible.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2012, 09:00 AM
 
Location: It's in the name!
2,843 posts, read 2,011,902 times
Reputation: 848
Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post

Many areas in Laurel, especially the lower rent areas, are not good neighborhoods. Be careful. And do stay away from Suitland, Landover, and most of Hyattsville.
Takoma Park is worth looking into but there are bad areas there as well.

Care to elaborate?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2012, 11:28 AM
 
Location: College Park
90 posts, read 91,593 times
Reputation: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantelami View Post
I found out yesterday that I'm being offered a promotion that involves a transfer to the College Park area (I'm currently in Missouri). Unsurprisingly, housing costs are the sticking issue. I need to stay under $1100 a month, and closer to $1000 would be ideal, for a 1 bedroom apartment.

So far it seems like almost everything I've found is in an area I hear bad things about regarding crime (e.g., Suitland, Landover, Hyattsville). Can anyone suggest some areas relatively near College Park that would be better safety-wise?

I've lived in urban/working-class neighborhoods in Philadelphia, Phoenix, and St. Louis for the last 7 years, so I'm not a delicate flower, but I do want to minimize my risks since I'm a woman living alone. I have no children nor any plans for them anytime soon, so school districts don't matter to me.

Thanks in advance!
If you can do Philadelphia, you can do most of PG county. I would suggest Riverdale for your price range. Some of old Greenbelt is doable, too.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2012, 11:36 AM
 
Location: Prince George's County
132 posts, read 275,976 times
Reputation: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
Check Craigslist for a basement apartment, or an entire floor of a house.

I grew up in the Hollywood area of College Park and I still drive by there once in a while for the heck of it. It's still a good neighborhood and you would be within walking distance to the Metro system.

Many areas in Laurel, especially the lower rent areas, are not good neighborhoods. Be careful. And do stay away from Suitland, Landover, and most of Hyattsville.
Takoma Park is worth looking into but there are bad areas there as well.

An apartment in a good area around College Park costing less than 1K a month may be impossible.
Just curious...what areas in Laurel are bad? I've visited a few times and never got the feeling that Laurel had bad areas.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2012, 02:36 PM
 
Location: It's in the name!
2,843 posts, read 2,011,902 times
Reputation: 848
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothGuy View Post
Just curious...what areas in Laurel are bad? I've visited a few times and never got the feeling that Laurel had bad areas.
How are you defining a "bad" area? By looks? That will get you in trouble. A good idea to find what area attracts you and then talk to people if you're not shy. If you elicit info on this board, PLEASE make sure the person giving the advice actually LIVES in the area you wan to move into. A lot of times on this board someone who lives in NOVA will try to tell you how a place is in MD because they lived there 10 years ago.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2012, 05:08 PM
 
Location: Greenbelt, MD
5,647 posts, read 2,017,700 times
Reputation: 20523
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothGuy View Post
Just curious...what areas in Laurel are bad? I've visited a few times and never got the feeling that Laurel had bad areas.
Off and on Route 197 and behind the Mall.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top